Denon D5000 or D2000 as an alternative to K701s
Jan 10, 2009 at 5:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

el_monkey

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Apr 2, 2006
Posts
322
Likes
19
Location
San Francisco Bay Area
Hi, I am currrently struggling with choosing a Denon D5000 versus a D2000 to use in lieu of my AKG 701s. It looks like there is a $175 difference between the two if I purchase off EBay ($235 versus $409). I intend to use the Denons to listen to Funk (Funkadelic, James Browns, etc.), Alternative/Independent (Kings of Leon, Our Lady Peace), and Blues (John Lee Hooker, Howling Wolf). I am using a Darkvoice 336i with a Rega Planet 2000 CD Player. I also have a Millet Max that I can use.

My question is whether I should spend the extra bucks and get the generally acknowledged superior headphone cable and wooden cups or look to do the Markl mods to the D2000 over time. Thoughts and suggestions are welcome. Thanks!
wink.gif


P.S. Forgot to mention that I have some portable amps that I can use also: RSA Mustang, Headamp Pico (no dac), and Xin Reference (1/08 version).
 
Jan 10, 2009 at 6:27 PM Post #3 of 10

el_monkey

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Apr 2, 2006
Posts
322
Likes
19
Location
San Francisco Bay Area
Quote:

Originally Posted by oldschool /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is the D2000 considered upgrade over K701?


I should clarify that I am looking for a headphone with a little more slam or excitement than the K701s. I also have a Grado RS-1 that I like but find uncomfortable to wear for longer listening sessions. I do like the K701s with jazz (Miles Davis, John Scofield, etc.)

P.S. I revised the thread heading to substitute alternative instead of upgrade.
wink.gif
 
Jan 10, 2009 at 6:38 PM Post #4 of 10

warpdriver

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Apr 29, 2005
Posts
3,407
Likes
16
Quote:

Originally Posted by oldschool /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is the D2000 considered upgrade over K701?


To some people, yes.

I know I don't pick up my K701's as much anymore for sure.
 
Jan 10, 2009 at 6:41 PM Post #5 of 10

warpdriver

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Apr 29, 2005
Posts
3,407
Likes
16
Quote:

Originally Posted by el_monkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I should clarify that I am looking for a headphone with a little more slam or excitement than the K701s. I also have a Grado RS-1 that I like but find uncomfortable to wear for longer listening sessions. I do like the K701s with jazz (Miles Davis, John Scofield, etc.)


Then for sure you should consider the Denons. The Denons are livelier, more slamming, and more forward than the K701's in most ways. I'd say the D2000 is a sweet spot if you just want something different, but the D5000 is worthy for the reason that it tends to add just a wee bit of refinement to the sound overall.
 
Jan 10, 2009 at 7:13 PM Post #6 of 10

el_monkey

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Apr 2, 2006
Posts
322
Likes
19
Location
San Francisco Bay Area
Quote:

Originally Posted by warpdriver /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Then for sure you should consider the Denons. The Denons are livelier, more slamming, and more forward than the K701's in most ways. I'd say the D2000 is a sweet spot if you just want something different, but the D5000 is worthy for the reason that it tends to add just a wee bit of refinement to the sound overall.


Thanks for the input. It is consistent with my thoughts. I am tempted to get the AD2000 to find out if the Denon sound is what I am looking for but concerned that I will then regret not spending the extra bucks and getting the D5000. On the other hand, I am concerned that I spend the extra on the D5000 and find that it is not what I am looking for. Thankfully, the resale market for Denons looks pretty good so I probably would not be stuck with the headphones if I decide the sound is not for me. Decisions, decisions.
wink_face.gif
 
Jan 10, 2009 at 8:19 PM Post #7 of 10

warpdriver

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Apr 29, 2005
Posts
3,407
Likes
16
For sure, it's a risk if you buy the D5000. What may happen is that you could buy the D5000 but regret not spending the extra and getting the D7000 haha!
 
Jan 14, 2009 at 10:16 AM Post #8 of 10

Lamenthe

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Nov 17, 2008
Posts
429
Likes
11
Quote:

Originally Posted by warpdriver /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For sure, it's a risk if you buy the D5000. What may happen is that you could buy the D5000 but regret not spending the extra and getting the D7000 haha!


Exactly the reason I shelled out the extra cash for the D7000's =(. I figured it was cheaper to buy it now rather than go through the hassle of trading/reselling later. It's killing my wallet, but I'm hoping it's all worth it.
 
Jan 14, 2009 at 11:02 AM Post #9 of 10
Joined
Jan 4, 2008
Posts
17,279
Likes
10,638
Location
Fukuoka, Japan
The D5000 is essentially a cable-and cups-upgrade to the D2000. The D5000 cable is high quality 7N copper, so a further upgrade to it becomes very expensive. It's hard to say how much difference the different cable options are, eg: D5000 stock vs. APS V3, vs whoever else unless someone has done comprehensive listening tests.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top