Denon D5000 for $399 vs. Sennheiser HD650 for $400?
Aug 23, 2009 at 5:51 PM Post #16 of 34
there will be a lot of different opinions about this...
Uncle eric nicely described the differences between them (although maybe just a little against the denons
biggrin.gif
) .

But anyway, I have both, and if you are a basshead and looking for some more fun cans, get the denon but the senns are definitely more accurate sounding. mmm...accurate...or, not accurate but more punchy and dreamy (yes...IMO the denon sound like a dream, except just a tiny bit too much bass).
although the senns is fun too, but it is more accurate kind of fun, more balanced. the denons will knock your head off with bass..and after it it is very difficult to get used to more balanced and neutral sound. I am for example having a hard time to get to the HD650 going from the AHD5000.
but i am working on it.

although,I do agree that open cans sound better, and that's the reason I went for a pair of HD650.

Aug 23, 2009 at 6:08 PM Post #17 of 34
My $.02 here.

I believe either will perform beautifully with the Woo 6.

I think the Denons have a livelier sound that compliments rock genre's. But the HD650 is a fantastic phone that responds very favorably to custom cables from what I've read.

Now, about the Denon bass: I agree that it is too strongly presented and is not as accurate as many would like, myself included. It's generally accepted that the Markl mod tames the bass remarkably well.

As a D7000 owner, and not all that keen on making irreversible mods on a (for me) expensive headphone, I looked for a 100% reversible mod to accomplish the same thing more or less.

In Mark's original post about his mod, before he went onto business with it, he used some polyester fiber filler in the cups along with generous amounts of Dynamat Extreme. Later he amended his mod by removing the filler from the cups, stating that it made the bass too anemic sounding. He left it on the post as an option for those that wanted very lean bass.

So, I simply put a small amount of filler that you can get from any crafts store and put it in the cups of my Denons. It really was just enough to fill the space inside without any packing at all. This simple and reversible mod made a fairly subtle but quite beneficial change on my headphones. It takes a bit of boom off of the bass and helps control resonance, just like the filler in home speakers does.

Either way you go I'm sure you'll get a lot of enjoyment though.

Aug 23, 2009 at 6:43 PM Post #19 of 34
Thanks for everyone's input.

Let me add that I've had the Sennheiser HD595 for the last four years. I've found these to be excellent and comfortable. From what I've read, the HD650 has similar-sounding characteristics, but it's much much better. Is this correct?

Now, I wouldn't mind a super-HD595, but at the same time, I'd like to hear something different after having used the HD595 for so long.

From what you tell me, the Denon D5000 sounds much different (stronger bass from what I can tell) and is still excellent. Would this be a good fit for me (looking for an excellent but different sound)? And by the way, on my PC and on my receiver, I usually don't like the "neutral" sound anyways; I usually turn the bass and treble up just a bit (the equaliser looks like a mild 'U' shape).

Thanks.

Aug 23, 2009 at 6:46 PM Post #20 of 34
Sounds like the D5000 would be perfect for you.

Aug 23, 2009 at 6:48 PM Post #21 of 34
HD 650 have way more bass then markl modded D5000. I am no fan of each but if I would have to choose I would take the Hd 650 if you can overcome their dark signature.

Aug 23, 2009 at 7:08 PM Post #22 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by genpatton7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
HeadRoom has had the HD 650 for some time at $350 with the coupon code, I recently called J&R and they had it for the same price. Both are authorized dealers, as previously mentioned.

Is this Headroom coupon code still available?

Aug 23, 2009 at 8:55 PM Post #24 of 34
YMMV, but as for me, the HD650 are on a whole different level soundwise- after eq. I use mine on my comp. The denons have a crappy midrange IMHO- too small and lacks dynamics.

Aug 23, 2009 at 9:40 PM Post #25 of 34
I can't give you any real info on the HD650's since I've never listened to them. But I do own a burned in pair of stock D5000's. The bass is definitely what everyone has problems with. I think it's punchy, but a bit too punchy at times and gets a bit out of control. But I only find that to be the case with hip hop or anything with really deep and heavy bass. Rock music like Radiohead is extremely fun to listen to with these. They have good separation, but a fairly restricted soundstage (they are closed after all). The reason I love my Denon's is that after burn-in the mids and highs sound amazing to me. Like I said before- I find the mids are only drowned out when listening to very bass heavy music. If you find that to be a problem you can do the reversible mod cswann1 suggested.

Aug 23, 2009 at 11:39 PM Post #28 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve The Egg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can't give you any real info on the HD650's since I've never listened to them. But I do own a burned in pair of stock D5000's. The bass is definitely what everyone has problems with. I think it's punchy, but a bit too punchy at times and gets a bit out of control. But I only find that to be the case with hip hop or anything with really deep and heavy bass. Rock music like Radiohead is extremely fun to listen to with these. They have good separation, but a fairly restricted soundstage (they are closed after all). The reason I love my Denon's is that after burn-in the mids and highs sound amazing to me. Like I said before- I find the mids are only drowned out when listening to very bass heavy music. If you find that to be a problem you can do the reversible mod cswann1 suggested.

If I find the bass to be too excessive, can't I just turn down the bass on my equaliser (on my PC or source)? Wouldn't that be more directly effective and tunable than modding the headphones?

Aug 23, 2009 at 11:48 PM Post #29 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by shuttleboi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If I find the bass to be too excessive, can't I just turn down the bass on my equaliser (on my PC or source)? Wouldn't that be more directly effective and tunable than modding the headphones?

Absolutely! many audio(snobs)philes, frown on using equalization but if you just want to enjoy your tunes more...EQ till your heart's content.

Aug 24, 2009 at 12:16 AM Post #30 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by AtomikPi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Many of the issues people report with overbearing bass and recessed mids are due to listening volume - the denons sound best at around 75-80 db versus 80+ for the senns.

I wasn't crazy about the Denons' balance at any volume level. Besides, you have to crank headphones up every now and then. I turned up the HD-800 to unreasonable levels for about five minutes this morning - some songs just need to be listened to loud.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back