Denon D2000 - too much bass?
Feb 11, 2008 at 10:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 37

souperman

Headphoneus Supremus
Hey guys,

I recently received a pair of Denon D2000's. Prior to receiving them I got the impression that some people thought there was too much bass, and that is why I got them because I am a college student who is bass-desensitized and looking for a pair of bassy headphones that aren't DT770's. Personally I think it's such a ridiculous claim! They barely have more than my HD580's and the impact is on par with the HD580's. Mind you, I think these are WONDERFUL cans, but I did get them at first for bass quantity and impact like a lot of the reviewers had said about them. Regardless, I will be keeping these, but I was just wondering if anybody thinks the same way as me. And I listen to primarily rock, and sometimes electronica and rap, and in the latter two is where the bass quantity really lacks. In rock it's lacking a bit in the impact sense which I was trying to find. I love the highs and mids of these headphones though.

Feb 11, 2008 at 11:00 PM Post #2 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by souperman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey guys,

I recently received a pair of Denon D2000's. Prior to receiving them I got the impression that some people thought there was too much bass, and that is why I got them because I am a college student who is bass-desensitized and looking for a pair of bassy headphones that aren't DT770's. Personally I think it's such a ridiculous claim! They barely have more than my HD580's and the impact is on par with the HD580's. Mind you, I think these are WONDERFUL cans, but I did get them at first for bass quantity and impact like a lot of the reviewers had said about them. Regardless, I will be keeping these, but I was just wondering if anybody thinks the same way as me. And I listen to primarily rock, and sometimes electronica and rap, and in the latter two is where the bass quantity really lacks. In rock it's lacking a bit in the impact sense which I was trying to find. I love the highs and mids of these headphones though.

Not sure, I was getting head and earache from them until I loosened headband by unbending it, now it's perfect. You might be not getting a good seal, or you ARE a die-hard basshead
wink.gif
?

Feb 11, 2008 at 11:08 PM Post #3 of 37
They respond really good to EQ'ing, so I suggest you give that a try (some people are strongly against EQ, I think if it makes the song sound better to your ears then do it). Also, I've noticed that they have bass when the song calls for it -- some headphones I've tried in the past are constantly bassy throughout the whole song, which isn't right (unless that's what the artist intended).

Feb 11, 2008 at 11:10 PM Post #4 of 37
I have the hd580 and the Dennon 2000 and the Dennon's have more bass. I was actually hearing a track off of Traffic - John Barleycorn Must Die album and heck the bass was way way to much! hehehe I hadn't ever felt they were to much till that track. track 3 'empty pages"

Let your Dennon's burn in and you need a amp. Both the Senn's and the Dennon's need a amp to shine but the Dennon's in my opinion don't need as much gain as the Senns. I switch to low gain for the Dennon's

Feb 12, 2008 at 12:20 AM Post #6 of 37
Well different people have difference taste
smily_headphones1.gif

I think the bass is perfect the way it is so I will leave mines alone for now since it sounds the way I want it to sound
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 12, 2008 at 12:49 AM Post #7 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not sure, I was getting head and earache from them until I loosened headband by unbending it, now it's perfect. You might be not getting a good seal, or you ARE a die-hard basshead
wink.gif
?

I did this with my D5000. It's a great way to do the Markl mod without doing the Markl mod and voiding your warranty.
tongue.gif

Feb 12, 2008 at 12:52 AM Post #8 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rickio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Let your Dennon's burn in and you need a amp. Both the Senn's and the Dennon's need a amp to shine but the Dennon's in my opinion don't need as much gain as the Senns. I switch to low gain for the Dennon's

Depending on the type of music you are listening to at the time, low gain and high gain both offer different sonic flavors and staging with the Denons.

Feb 12, 2008 at 1:51 AM Post #9 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by aZn_plyR /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well different people have difference taste
smily_headphones1.gif

I think the bass is perfect the way it is so I will leave mines alone for now since it sounds the way I want it to sound
smily_headphones1.gif

Yes everyone has different tastes I know. I just wanted to hear from people who don't have that same opinion like you.

Feb 12, 2008 at 1:54 AM Post #10 of 37
Did you try the cotton ball mod for them yet?

Feb 12, 2008 at 2:00 AM Post #12 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by scatterbrain /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Did you try the cotton ball mod for them yet?

That decreases the bass...doesn't it?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yukon Trooper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Source and amp possibly?

If you read my posts before, I said that the bass is fine, I just wanted to hear from people who don't think there is too much bass.

Feb 12, 2008 at 2:16 AM Post #13 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by souperman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That decreases the bass...doesn't it?

Yes sorry
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 12, 2008 at 2:34 AM Post #14 of 37
I like the bass as it is for the most part. I actually have heard only once and it was today right as I saw your thread. At that moment that track I mentioned before was on and it was way way bassy hehehe

weird but for the most part I always liked the bass on the Dennon's and I honestly don't consider myself a basshead but i do dig on good bass hehehe

Feb 12, 2008 at 4:53 AM Post #15 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wink.gif
?

Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I did this with my D5000. It's a great way to do the Markl mod without doing the Markl mod and voiding your warranty.
tongue.gif

Amazing how that works, isn't it? Number one mod, turned rarely used phones into my favorites, in fact I pulled them off for sale section after that.
Never realized that they can deliver gobs of details, and that with stock cable.
icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back