Denon D2000, Senn HD650, or AKG 701?
Nov 16, 2011 at 4:34 AM Post #16 of 33
Well if with the correct amp I would vote 702 (or Q701) myself. It only work best with the classical though.

So yeah according to your music and signature preference, it would be

D2000 = HD650 > 702.

However I dont think they are "engaging".

Some people comment the Q version has more bass, in that case it may be more engaging that them.

Nov 16, 2011 at 4:34 AM Post #17 of 33
PA2V2, a portable amp best for IEMS. Better put a budget also for a Desktop amp to enjoy your new Audiophile level of headphone or you might be just disappointed with its sound quality.
biggrin.gif

Nov 16, 2011 at 4:36 AM Post #18 of 33
HD600 is much more balanced but retain the laid back sound. I somewhat understand why you would be put off by that though. I like my sound 'clear' and bright as well.  Great cans for classical music though.

I'm somewhat in a similar position to you in looking for an upgrade from my Pro 900. Everything from the D2000, DT990, HD650 and Q701 came to mind but I think I'll stick with bassy cans by going for a D2000. I think for your tastes, either the D2000 or the HD650 (if you don't mind the laid-back sound) would be good for your music tastes.

Nov 16, 2011 at 4:38 AM Post #19 of 33

Quote:
Are the hd600's as laid back as the 650's? That's sort of a put off for me

I really have nothing special in the ways of headphone amps currently

I cant remember it's name honestly, it wasn't something simple

if u think the hd 600s are laid back, u will hate the hd 650s.

Quote:
I wouldn't really like the D2000 for rock. The mids are too recessed to be enjoyable, though they might work for techno. The Beyerdynamic DT150 is a better closed headphone IMO, and the HD600 a better all-rounder.

solution : D5000 and D7000 don't suffer from recessed mids as much from what ive heard.

Nov 16, 2011 at 10:28 AM Post #21 of 33
I went from the HD555 to the D2000 and at first was not too pleased. I found them to be a little to bright and sibilant. I got it into my head that I wanted the HD650 because I was used to "the sennhieser sound".
After about 3 weeks with the Denons, I am in love with them, burn in has tamed the highs and bass is thunderous (but controlled with a partial markl mod). They sound so much better than my 555s.
Last night I found a smoking price on some HD650s so those are on the way as well and I will decide which one is right for me. As it stands I don't think you could go wrong with either.

Nov 16, 2011 at 11:24 AM Post #22 of 33
I wish I had 350 dollars because I see a great price for the hd650s as well :xf_mad:

Nov 16, 2011 at 12:01 PM Post #23 of 33
I had a similar experience.  Did not like the D5000's at first coming from the shure / senns...but after a couple of weeks they became my favorite.  As for the original question:  I'd be tempted to say go with the D2000's, but since you're coming from a pair of senns, the HD650 might be the safer bet.  Of the headphones I've bought, I consider the HD650 to be the best all-arounder. 

Quote:
I went from the HD555 to the D2000 and at first was not too pleased. I found them to be a little to bright and sibilant. I got it into my head that I wanted the HD650 because I was used to "the sennhieser sound".
After about 3 weeks with the Denons, I am in love with them, burn in has tamed the highs and bass is thunderous (but controlled with a partial markl mod). They sound so much better than my 555s.
Last night I found a smoking price on some HD650s so those are on the way as well and I will decide which one is right for me. As it stands I don't think you could go wrong with either.

Nov 16, 2011 at 3:51 PM Post #24 of 33
The OP said he doesn't have much money to spend on amps, so the best solution would be D2000, which still are fun without an amp, but do upgrade nicely. They have limitations, but no way would I rec Senns without amps. The AKG with Matrix is a great combo for limited costs, though AKG's certainly fall short in those who desire prominent bass. Mind you I love the bass in the AKG, but they simply present it as part of the musical spectrum, in no way leading the music at all. For jazz, folk, and genres that overload bass already, this is perfect.

Nov 18, 2011 at 1:44 AM Post #26 of 33
The HD600 is definitely great do-all headphone.  It scores high in almost all areas making it very useful for people who enjoy larger genres of music such as myself.  With a good system I would not describe them as sounding laid-back but very clear and detailed with lots of impact.  

Drop Stay updated on Drop at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/drop https://twitter.com/drop https://www.massdrop.com/?clickid=3QR3Ib27lyA-VkBRJwyGuQJeUkhUQvX5r0tLzQ0&utm_term=252901&utm_content=VigLink&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_source=impactradius&irgwc=1
Nov 18, 2011 at 2:20 AM Post #27 of 33
if i must pick one out of the three u shortlisted, i would pick the d2000, and add a j$pad, to focus the bass a notch.
( the hd650 needs "matching" amps and watnots$$$$...and for akg i would go for the Q701 defintely)

if i were to pick another low outlay" can to live with, tat would be the shure940....$200 in the resale?
it sounds surprisingly good out of my samsungfone, my macbook..without dac and amp...v easy to power..without suffering from muddiness.
There is bass for sure, not accentuated bass.
its hardy too.

between these two, the d2000 sounds further away from the stage than the 940.
i love these two cans v much.

Nov 18, 2011 at 2:44 AM Post #28 of 33
Koss Pro DJ 100...no I'm not kidding..and they'd be a perfect match for that PA2V2.

DJ100 has more than enough bass for most, unless you're a basshead. A little less than the M50. Maybe 5% less?
Pretty much define fun and engaging for me. Even with my Q701 I still use them all the time.

For $100 TOTAL you can even spend the extra $20 and get some M50 pads.

You can even pick them up at a local best buy and return them if you hate them.

To me, the D2000 and HD-650 are not fun at all. The Q701 IS..yes, I'm weird.

Anyone that has bass as say a #2 priority may want to skip it.

The HD-650 "MIGHT' work with the PA2V2, but the K702..not likely.

Nov 18, 2011 at 4:06 AM Post #29 of 33

Quote:
Are the hd600's as laid back as the 650's? That's sort of a put off for me

I really have nothing special in the ways of headphone amps currently

I cant remember it's name honestly, it wasn't something simple

I've owned both in the last month and after listening to the hd650s, I realized how in-your-face the HD600s sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back