Denon D2000 or Ultrasone 750 Pro?
Sep 18, 2012 at 7:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

californiadrm

New Head-Fier
I recently bought a pair of Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250 Ohm and I'm not quite liking the sound signature.  The overall sound is nice but I'm looking for punchy low end bass.  The treble is almost piercing in the 990's as well so I can't really listen to them past a certain sound level without equalizing the treble down to a lower level which isn't always an option on portable devices.  I've been doing some research on the Denon D2000's and the Ultrasone 750 Pro's.  Both have great reviews and both are selling at a pretty similar price. Does anyone one have any experience with both and which sound they preferred more?  I currently have a Fiio E-11 amp to go with any pair of headphones I get.

Sep 18, 2012 at 7:15 PM Post #2 of 10
The PRO750 has either the most or second most piercing highs of any headphone I have ever heard (#1 is probably PRO900). I don't think they are for you (me having never heard a  D2000 to compare though). 

Sep 18, 2012 at 7:22 PM Post #3 of 10
i've owned both, although it's been a long time since i had those ultrasones. my recollection is that of the 4 ultrasones i owned i liked them the least/disliked them the most. iirc the treble was on the annoying side. my dennon d2ks are not stock. the original owner recabled them and i do not experience the sloppy bass that some have complained about with the stockers. they do roll off a bit at the frequency extremes, but i find them to be a very relaxing phone to listen to.
the akg k550 has gotten a following lately although they are rather fit dependent and it helps if you have a somewhat large head. you might even like the akg k181dj, which is a rather nice phone that can be improved with some simple mods.:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/162552/official-k-81-dj-thread
http://www.head-fi.org/t/323653/akg-k181dj-review#post_4183439

Sep 18, 2012 at 11:04 PM Post #5 of 10
I like the specs on the D2000's they definitely have a higher price point though.  The Ultrasone 750's are nice to look at but I really don't want shrieking treble...I already don't like what I get from my Beyer 990 Pro's sometimes.  I guess my question is, which cans have a better overall sound but have that emphasis on the low end bass....I don't need crazy amounts of bass but I want to hear that low rumble and still have clear defined punchy bass.  Is it even possible to have that all in one package? lol.

Sep 18, 2012 at 11:48 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:
What is the major difference between the D2000 and D5000 models?  Spec wise they seem the same other than the D5000's having natural wood.

cup upgrade, slightly (very slightly) different frame and driver plate, slightly better pleather on pads and headband and better cable. Basically it's a retail upgrade of the d2k's without having to have someone else do it and it's more cost effective when you think of it like that. Honestly not sure how different they are, but I would wager that the 5k's sound more natural than the 2k's.

After spending a week with my new senn 650's though, i'm thinking my 5k's need the markl mod.

Sep 18, 2012 at 11:52 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:
cup upgrade, slightly (very slightly) different frame and driver plate, slightly better pleather on pads and headband and better cable. Basically it's a retail upgrade of the d2k's without having to have someone else do it and it's more cost effective when you think of it like that. Honestly not sure how different they are, but I would wager that the 5k's sound more natural than the 2k's.

After spending a week with my new senn 650's though, i'm thinking my 5k's need the markl mod.

I was looking at the 650's previously but they are pricey.  What is a markl mod?  I'm kinda new to the audiophile world so sorry if I ask a lot of questions.

Sep 19, 2012 at 12:32 AM Post #10 of 10
Quote:
I was looking at the 650's previously but they are pricey.  What is a markl mod?  I'm kinda new to the audiophile world so sorry if I ask a lot of questions.

HD 600's can be had for $225ish if you know where to look. Markl mod is just a dampening mod using dynamat inside the cup etc. controls the low end to not drown out the mids I guess.

Closed cans are best for bass, but open ones sure give you nothing to question; it's just air.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back