Denon D2000 (D5K modded) an upgade over DT770 Pro 80?
Apr 26, 2012 at 8:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

danny93

500+ Head-Fier
Hey guys basically is a D2000 with the D5k mod an upgrade over the stock DT770 Pro 80, I really love the sound on the Beyers...especially the bass, I actually EQ it up even more with ZO2 so Im a BIG basshead!

I listen nearly exclusivly to EDM, Trance and chillstep (not the 1 beat for 6mins stuff) I have sort of got over the dubstep phase now, moved on to more chilled out stuff like blackmill so detail is important to me!

Valued aspects in SQ are Bass>Highs>Mids 

I have just got the CKS77 IEM´s which is the major decision for my upgrade, as Im noticing the lack of detail in the beyers now and the reccessed mids :frowning2: 

Thanks all (im planning on getting them tomorrow if the consensus is to go for it as I´ll be going on a trip in a couple of days so would want to have them before :D

Cheers 

Apr 26, 2012 at 12:24 PM Post #2 of 5

Quote:
Hey guys basically is a D2000 with the D5k mod an upgrade over the stock DT770 Pro 80, I really love the sound on the Beyers...especially the bass, I actually EQ it up even more with ZO2 so Im a BIG basshead!

I listen nearly exclusivly to EDM, Trance and chillstep (not the 1 beat for 6mins stuff) I have sort of got over the dubstep phase now, moved on to more chilled out stuff like blackmill so detail is important to me!

Valued aspects in SQ are Bass>Highs>Mids 

I have just got the CKS77 IEM´s which is the major decision for my upgrade, as Im noticing the lack of detail in the beyers now and the reccessed mids :frowning2: 

Thanks all (im planning on getting them tomorrow if the consensus is to go for it as I´ll be going on a trip in a couple of days so would want to have them before :D

Cheers 

The Denon will be an upgrade in sub-bass ability over the Beyer. Not a massive one, but one that will be noticeable.

Very best,

Apr 26, 2012 at 12:28 PM Post #3 of 5
Quote:
The Denon will be an upgrade in sub-bass ability over the Beyer. Not a massive one, but one that will be noticeable.

Very best,

Thanks for your reply...I have read quite a few of our posts regarding the DT770 an D2000 so really glad you have posted :D

A main concern of mine is mid bass and also detail... how do they compare in this regard?

Is the D2000 a good tier above the DT770...as if its only a slight improvement over the DT770 i may just leave it as i am very happy with the sound from my Beyers :p 

Also have you done any mods to the D2000, im interested in this one! http://www.head-fi.org/t/299627/how-to-build-one-of-the-worlds-finest-dynamic-headphones-markl-denon-ah-d5000-mods

Apr 26, 2012 at 12:38 PM Post #4 of 5

Quote:

Thanks for your reply...I have read quite a few of our posts regarding the DT770 an D2000 so really glad you have posted :D

A main concern of mine is mid bass and also detail... how do they compare in this regard?

Is the D2000 a good tier above the DT770...as if its only a slight improvement over the DT770 i may just leave it as i am very happy with the sound from my Beyers :p 

Also have you done any mods to the D2000, im interested in this one! http://www.head-fi.org/t/299627/how-to-build-one-of-the-worlds-finest-dynamic-headphones-markl-denon-ah-d5000-mods

Heya,

Mid bass on the D2000 will be a little lower than the Beyer. But the sub-bass of the Denon will be higher than the Beyer. So a slight shift. But the shift to sub-bass is a very good thing for what you're looking for. The D2000 is a tier above the DT770 in my book. It's more comfortable, sleek, stylish, and classy. It's got a better sound stage. I find it to feel less bloated and more natural and linear, with a slight sparkle. I love the DT770 as well, and I think it's exaggerated that it's super bassy because I don't find it that bassy, I find the DT770 to be just warmer than neutral really. The Denon is also pretty linear, but it's ability in sub-bass is pronounced and drops all the way to 30hz before it rolls off. I've not done any mods as I don't tend to mod headphones in general beyond pad swaps. But being that I really like both the DT770 and Denons, if given the choice, I reach for the Denon each time for all purposes.

Very best,

Apr 26, 2012 at 12:47 PM Post #5 of 5
Quote:
Heya,

Mid bass on the D2000 will be a little lower than the Beyer. But the sub-bass of the Denon will be higher than the Beyer. So a slight shift. But the shift to sub-bass is a very good thing for what you're looking for. The D2000 is a tier above the DT770 in my book. It's more comfortable, sleek, stylish, and classy. It's got a better sound stage. I find it to feel less bloated and more natural and linear, with a slight sparkle. I love the DT770 as well, and I think it's exaggerated that it's super bassy because I don't find it that bassy, I find the DT770 to be just warmer than neutral really. The Denon is also pretty linear, but it's ability in sub-bass is pronounced and drops all the way to 30hz before it rolls off. I've not done any mods as I don't tend to mod headphones in general beyond pad swaps. But being that I really like both the DT770 and Denons, if given the choice, I reach for the Denon each time for all purposes.

Very best,

Thanks for the help! 

Yeh probably better to have more sub-bass than mid bass...as I have a Digizoid ZO2 and that adds more mid bass than sub, so this should work well me thinks 
tongue.gif

Glad to hear you do find the D2000 allot better than the DT770 as after reading a few of your posts i thought you were more along the lines of there pretty much equal but Denons have the upper hand, thats the reason i made the thread haha 

Well I think I may go for it...and later down the road try some mods and maybe even a re cable if i get some cash :D

Thanks for your help 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back