Denon D2000 Bass is unimpressive
Mar 17, 2012 at 11:14 AM Post #46 of 68
There are other areas of improvement, but like I said, it's like going from an 8 to 10. :wink:

If I had to base the D7000's sound based off price, I'd put them at $400 total, if you weren't paying the premium for the aesthetics and what have you. I'd buy them again and again for the $585 I paid for them, but I'm impulsive like that.

Mar 17, 2012 at 8:54 PM Post #47 of 68

Quote:
Very true. Even those who finds the differences to be miniscule, could pay the price difference for the sonic difference they get; for some it is worth it. For me, soundstage isn't that big of a factor, and sometimes even a negative factor for me so - as weird as it may sound - I sometimes prefer my HD25 over my Pro 900 and D2000. 

For me, those small little differences, that extra 10-20% is the difference between good, and mindblowing.

Mar 18, 2012 at 5:08 PM Post #48 of 68
I would give it more time... the level of bass is something you become adjusted to the more cans you hear. If you listened to some $1,500 HD800s you might feel like they sound like crap, but really they represent bass very accurately. 

Mar 19, 2012 at 3:44 AM Post #49 of 68

Quote:
I would give it more time... the level of bass is something you become adjusted to the more cans you hear. If you listened to some $1,500 HD800s you might feel like they sound like crap, but really they represent bass very accurately. 

This is what I mean. I had the Sony Xtra Bass headphones once, and I thought they were great, but only after I upgraded to less bassy headphones did I finally realize the error of my ways. 

It's about accurate bass reproduction, and even the D2000 is somewhat colored. 

Mar 19, 2012 at 1:15 PM Post #50 of 68
For me, I like a midpoint between a'ccurate' and 'colored'. When it's too tipped towards accurate, it's too tipped towards boring for me. So I like some color. But when it's too colored, well, you lose most of the music for one region... may as well just listen to bass tests, and hit repeat.

Mar 21, 2012 at 11:12 AM Post #51 of 68
Get the DT770 PRO 80's I have them, the M50 bass was actually lacking IMO when I compared them to my new DT770, now I don't even use my M50's, simply been sitting in their carrying case stored away
beyersmile.png
, the comfort also destroys the M50's which I thought were very comfortable at first too. Simply couldn't be happier with them. Need to get around to sell my M50's..

Quote:
thanks for the great responses from everyone, just cant beat the headfi community for their willingness to talk about every aspect of headphone related topics. I am getting a good seal on them they fit just fine, and i have been using them from the fiio e7 / little dot mkiii / audiogd12
to test the bass and pretty much same response from all three amps. It would seem from all your posts that i may indeed be trying to hear the mid bass hump that the m50 exhibits. The d2000's do reproduce bass but generally only when it goes very very low, like has been mentioned previously, i just feel the 50's did a better job of bringing out different bass notes throughout the bass spectrum. I would like the d2000's to "kick" a little more but it generally only replicates serious bass on a serious bass song (one that goes very low) so yes these do have bass and i intend on keeping them but i can see i still am looking for a bass more to my liking. I have read in another thread in the forums someone having a similar experiance to mine, bass is very subjective and we all have different ideas on exactly how it should sound. This is why it seems to be a recurring topic here on headfi, hotly debated too because bass is sometimes given a bad and not appreciated as much in audiohphile terms as 'mids' or 'highs'.

so anyhow in conclusion im very interested in these Beyerdynamic dt770 pro 80ohms  :)     who would like to elaborate more on them?

Mar 21, 2012 at 11:15 AM Post #52 of 68
Just tried the sound tracks, and I have to strongly agree, bass can explode, sounds very atmospheric so their immersive
beyersmile.png
, great soundtracks!

Quote:
If you havent done so yet, try listening in a really quiet room, and to something like the Dark Knight sound track (my bass testing tracks). That will really show the sub bass, and maybe it will change your mind :)

Mar 21, 2012 at 11:48 AM Post #54 of 68
I enjoyed some time this morning at B&H's headphone display, intending to listen to D7000 to compare with my D5000 (that happened to show up by UPS last night.) (Excellent deal from Electronics Expo at $378.00 plus shipping, supposed to be open box, but a new one arrived.) I also tried M50 and Beyer 880 and 990. The least bass-like was the M50. The rest had more bass and featured differences in the mids and highs; also some spatial differences. Not a fair test with my D5000, though, because all the ones on the display have been operational for weeks at a clip, all being fed the same music source. In my informal impression, it was D7000 > D5000 > 990 > 880 > M50.

Mar 21, 2012 at 1:28 PM Post #55 of 68
I'm getting confused here. So the D2000 has more "kick" to its bass than the M50, but the M50 has more quantity? Doesn't more "kick" translate into more impact? 

Mar 21, 2012 at 1:40 PM Post #56 of 68

Quote:
I'm getting confused here. So the D2000 has more "kick" to its bass than the M50, but the M50 has more quantity? Doesn't more "kick" translate into more impact? 

well dunno about the m50's but here is what i presume for them seing as ive heard and owned the xb500's and 700's:

D2K's have better sub-bass and a better quality punch
HOWEVER their QUANTITY in bass is significantly lower - meaning less in your face bass that the xb500's and 700's would offer.

Put in audiophile terms, less mid-bass, better quality sub-bass.

Mar 21, 2012 at 2:30 PM Post #57 of 68
Having heard the Sonys and Denons, the difference is that the Denon does not forsake the rest of the range while delivering a deep and thunderous bass. I say deep and thunderous in cases when the Denon is delivering home theater sound and there's something like The Dark Night on and the bat mobile just released a rocket into the concrete walled office in the parking garage scene. The Sony has more of a muffled sound when doing direct A/B comparison listening to music.

Mar 28, 2012 at 1:49 AM Post #58 of 68
The D2000 does not have a significant bass punch. Like others have said, it is about "sub bass", which is the rumble you hear on basslines. 

The best way to explain Sony vs Denon is like this. When I was listening to classical music w/ no drums or any bass instruments I could STILL hear bass rumble in the Sony headphones. This was extremely annoying and inaccurate to say the least. A ******* violin should not be rumbling in my ear, it should sound like the wind. With the D2000, when you play classical music you will not hear bass, because there is no bass. 

When you play dance or hip hop, you will hear bass, because there is bass. This is what makes the Denon a superior headphone. However, even with the Denon there are times when the bass can be excessive. It is also a closed headphone, so the sound stage isn't as good as it could be. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back