Denon D2000 Bass is unimpressive
Mar 4, 2012 at 11:41 PM Post #16 of 68

Quote:
the denons have been tested to have almost perfect reproduction down to 20hz... and has sound down to 15hz at about 1/3 of the volume of 20hz

Yes, but it won't show up in any music.  You don't get the true visceral effects of those subterranean notes with just small 40-50mm full-range drivers.  You don't get the proper visceral qualities of 30-40hz either, but those are way easier heard, so the headphone doesn't have a hard time with them.  Even a lot of full-sized subs can't go down to 20hz and under properly.

Mar 4, 2012 at 11:47 PM Post #17 of 68

Quote:
Had my D2000 for a week now and been running them though a audio-gd 12, not very impressed with the bass. It is nothing like what lots of people describe it to be like, i personally find my M50's to have much better bass. These are great headphones and i like the overall sound signature, just wondering where all the bass that is talked about has gone. 

Do they fit your head well? Poor pad seal will affect (weaken) the bass more than any other part of the sound signature. 

Mar 4, 2012 at 11:57 PM Post #18 of 68
thanks for the great responses from everyone, just cant beat the headfi community for their willingness to talk about every aspect of headphone related topics. I am getting a good seal on them they fit just fine, and i have been using them from the fiio e7 / little dot mkiii / audiogd12
to test the bass and pretty much same response from all three amps. It would seem from all your posts that i may indeed be trying to hear the mid bass hump that the m50 exhibits. The d2000's do reproduce bass but generally only when it goes very very low, like has been mentioned previously, i just feel the 50's did a better job of bringing out different bass notes throughout the bass spectrum. I would like the d2000's to "kick" a little more but it generally only replicates serious bass on a serious bass song (one that goes very low) so yes these do have bass and i intend on keeping them but i can see i still am looking for a bass more to my liking. I have read in another thread in the forums someone having a similar experiance to mine, bass is very subjective and we all have different ideas on exactly how it should sound. This is why it seems to be a recurring topic here on headfi, hotly debated too because bass is sometimes given a bad and not appreciated as much in audiohphile terms as 'mids' or 'highs'.

so anyhow in conclusion im very interested in these Beyerdynamic dt770 pro 80ohms  :)     who would like to elaborate more on them?

Mar 5, 2012 at 12:34 AM Post #19 of 68
If you like Denon sound signature, i suggest you sell/return your D2K, add some money and get D5K. They have the midbass bump you need+subbass.
Otherwise just get the DT770, they're nice too 
smile.gif

Mar 5, 2012 at 12:51 AM Post #20 of 68

Quote:
so anyhow in conclusion im very interested in these Beyerdynamic dt770 pro 80ohms  :)     who would like to elaborate more on them?

These are closed cans that are imfamous for their mid-bass kick, and they indeed have PLENTY of it. I tried them on briefly whilst utilizing a Digidesign 002 rack at school, and it was instantly apparent that they had more bass than even my DT990/600. It was more uncontrolled as well, of course I have no idea how the 002 compares to my setup for headphones. The Ultrasones retain a very similar amount of impact, perhaps a little less, to the Beyers. They're much tighter and faster though, and they have better sub-bass extension. Gives you more options to choose from, perhaps Ultrasones could be considered a middle ground? Although I deviated from your original question a bit.

Mar 5, 2012 at 1:19 AM Post #21 of 68
I actually agree w/ the OP to an extent.  I thought the D7000 outshined the M50 in most ways except bass performance.  Sure it was leaner making it seem more 'neutral' but the M50 has flatter sub bass performance, better 30hz square wave production, more linear distortion characteristics in the low end and better impulse response.  Granted my M50's were slightly modded w/ the tape mod but my M50's felt richer and more organic w/ Piano and Double Bass from my entry level chain at the time (Sflo2+Arrow).  The M50 actually measures cleaner in the mids the more you raise the noise floor too.  I think there might be something to say about what levels each person is listening at and how performance is being perceived respectively too.

So OP, IMHO, you're not crazy.

Mar 16, 2012 at 4:56 PM Post #22 of 68
I can't believe people are complaining about the D2000 bass. 

If you ever want to call yourself a true audiophile you'll have to mature your listening tastes into hearing the sound as it was produced and not some cheap knockoff with bloated bass. If you listen to modern "rap" or "dubstep" I can understand because there's not much point to the music besides the bass ("DROP THE BASS SKRILLEX11111111") but if you listen to anything with any semblance of musicality the XB and Beats are going to murder your songs.

Mar 16, 2012 at 5:37 PM Post #23 of 68

Quote:
I can't believe people are complaining about the D2000 bass. 

If you ever want to call yourself a true audiophile you'll have to mature your listening tastes into hearing the sound as it was produced and not some cheap knockoff with bloated bass. If you listen to modern "rap" or "dubstep" I can understand because there's not much point to the music besides the bass ("DROP THE BASS SKRILLEX11111111") but if you listen to anything with any semblance of musicality the XB and Beats are going to murder your songs.

This, ladies and gentlemen, is a proof of intolerance to other people's tastes and preferences.

If you can't respect the fact that different people enjoy different signatures, then refrain from posting such comments.

Mar 16, 2012 at 7:52 PM Post #24 of 68

Quote:
This, ladies and gentlemen, is a proof of intolerance to other people's tastes and preferences.

If you can't respect the fact that different people enjoy different signatures, then refrain from posting such comments.

unfortunately, these people exist everywhere on the internet with any topic, and there is literally nothing we can do about it.... wait, maybe we can just ignore them.....

Mar 17, 2012 at 2:04 AM Post #27 of 68
Funny, people think everything can be fixed w/ Eq.  The Op is making a rather nuanced point IMO that people are dismissing to mean he listens to crap and needs Beats.  Sad.

Mar 17, 2012 at 2:30 AM Post #28 of 68
Which has more bass presence, the D2000 or D7000? Because the D7000 has the kind of sub bass, the M50s wish it had. Like straight movie theater type bass, without drowning the mids and treble.

I'm betting OP just prefers mid bass, which Denons don't seem to emphasize much if at all.

Mar 17, 2012 at 2:43 AM Post #29 of 68

Quote:
 Because the D7000 has the kind of sub bass, the M50s wish it had. Like straight movie theater type bass

I don't think you and I have ever agreed on a single headphone.  
wink.gif
  I seem to recall you thought the XB500 was better than the M50 as well and championed the XB1000 as the next bassmonster phone.  I'll just assume our tracks and gear are different despite the measurements.  
L3000.gif

Mar 17, 2012 at 2:46 AM Post #30 of 68
You are definitely thinking of someone else, because I despise the XB500, and thought the M50 was better than the XB700. Lol.

BTW, I love the M50, so much that I'm considering getting a white one as a portable. But if the D2000's bass is anything like the D7000s, I would greatly prefer the D2000 over the M50.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back