Denon D2000 aggressive highs
Feb 19, 2009 at 6:24 PM Post #16 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by Orcin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can't help you... I love the D2000 stock.

x2. My experience of the D2000's treble was never harsh or unduly sibilant, but rather welcomely forward and lively. : )

Feb 19, 2009 at 6:45 PM Post #17 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bojamijams /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Which suggestion is that btw? My modded D2000 were very sibilant with plastic cups and the mod.. removing the fiberloft and the plastic cup helped, as did the wood cups, but I sense there's room for additional improvement

Plus thats only on some recordings

Other then that, love the sound !

Just search for his LA2000 review here in this sub-forum.

I also found that adding too much fiberloft stuffing in the earpad contribute to sibilance as well as the diameter of the plastic cup which cannot be too wide.

Feb 19, 2009 at 6:51 PM Post #18 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by pataburd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
x2. My experience of the D2000's treble was never harsh or unduly sibilant, but rather welcomely forward and lively. : )

Could you please add the amp you experienced this with.

Update:I just heart them with my Marantz SR-5300, and there it was again (like with the Beyerdynamic amp) a quite balanced phone with slight sibilants and slightly accentuated highs, but with on top of that a muddy, slow, overly pronounced bass, that hurt after 5 minutes. That's definitly NOT the phone I want, I thought.
Then I switched to the Beta22 again, and well what can I say with light pop (Jen Lopez etc) it's really fun. Present highs (a slight little sibilants), massiv bass, but not horror bass, and quite appealing mids.
Sadly this is not my phone, because if it was, it would have been apart ASAP. I've got Dynamat, Bitumen, etc. Sad.
Well I'm almost convinced.
wink.gif

Anyone with Beta22 AND D2000s?

Feb 19, 2009 at 7:48 PM Post #19 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by K3cT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just search for his LA2000 review here in this sub-forum.

I also found that adding too much fiberloft stuffing in the earpad contribute to sibilance as well as the diameter of the plastic cup which cannot be too wide.

I read that. I already had Mark line the Woodcups with dynamat so that should be the sibilance/harshness reduction that it would need but .. I need more taming

If fiberloft is said to make it bright and sibilant, then what material would be the opposite of that? I think maybe I should replace the stuffing in the pads with it (to maintain the angled shape)

Feb 19, 2009 at 8:48 PM Post #20 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ynis Avalach /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Could you please add the amp you experienced this with.

For me, it is with the Woo WA6SE. I don't find the D2000's to be harsh at all. I do think the upper range of highs (that I can hear) is more pronounced than on my HD600's.

Feb 19, 2009 at 10:36 PM Post #21 of 39
Hmm even removing the fiberloft from the pads completely did nothing to tame the highs.

Anyone got ideas on how to tame this? So far whats on there is the markl mod on the back of the driver and ring, and dynamat in the Sheaok wood cups.. only thing I thought would make it more sibilant is the fiberloft which I completely removed.. confused

Feb 20, 2009 at 5:24 AM Post #22 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bojamijams /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm even removing the fiberloft from the pads completely did nothing to tame the highs.

Anyone got ideas on how to tame this? So far whats on there is the markl mod on the back of the driver and ring, and dynamat in the Sheaok wood cups.. only thing I thought would make it more sibilant is the fiberloft which I completely removed.. confused

I didn't read this thread and am jumping in at this post.

FWIR...

Some but of course not everyone experiences problems with the highs or with sibilance with the D2000. And so there's something different about your D2000 or there's something else different in the chain that is accounting for this, or both. That's assuming those reporting on the D2000 are able to identify sibilance or such problems with the highs, and that seems likely.

There are so many different variations of mods that change the sound of the D2000. And, there is a wide variety of sources, amps, etc. being used with it. Thus, I suspect you have a synergy problem with your D2000. Meaning, this most likely could be traced down to any or all of the following: your source recorded material, your source equipment, your amp, D2000 cable if modded, or other mods to your D2000. And so, I suggest your next step should be to use your D2000 with different source equipment and material.

I can't stand sibilance and unruly high frequencies, which is a main reason why I have not bought the D2000. However, I also know that this is not a problem for everyone. And the only reason for this that makes sense to me is there is a synergy problem. I think changing mods is the wrong way of going about solving this. It's probably something else in the chain that's causing it.

Feb 20, 2009 at 5:40 AM Post #23 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by supersleuth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, shows how much perceptions can differ. I find the D1001 to be just a bit too polite in the highs, making high violin or woodwind lines sound ever so slightly muffled at times, whereas the large, broad upper-midrange peak of the Grados can make orchestral violin sections sound a bit tinny and glassy on some recordings, and I find my new Beyers to be just right.

A little education that it seems most everyone here needs to know:

Violins have a range from 196hz (G) to 4400hz (effective). Most of the playing done on a violin, save solo work, is in the 196-3500hz range with exceptions being higher. The entire range of a violin is in the midbass to mids (250hz-6khz) section, not highs (6khz+).

Any adjustment needed to fix violin work is mids (and more specifically low mids), not highs.

The only true highs you should hear in classical are certain percussion instruments, no other instruments are capable of 6khz and above. There are certainly harmonic overtones to consider (up to about 10khz), but the instruments themselves are much lower. You might find horns like the trumpet reaching over 6khz, but the quality of sound is poor because it is extremely difficult to reach.

Feb 20, 2009 at 6:17 AM Post #24 of 39
Thanks for that reply
smily_headphones1.gif

I figured it must be synergy because not everyone has these problems clearly.. and I haven't seen a post from anyone that used the STX with those particular MD2000's.. it could be the APS cable which someone has told me may have sibilance issues.. or maybe the issue is that its terminated to a 1/8" connector?

I just figured maybe changing the materials around somehow can compensate for this.

Was wondering if anyone knew what material I can stuff in the pads (Since I've removed the fiberloft) to absorb these high frequencies?

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1Time /img/forum/go_quote.gif

FWIR...

Some but of course not everyone experiences problems with the highs or with sibilance with the D2000. And so there's something different about your D2000 or there's something else different in the chain that is accounting for this, or both. That's assuming those reporting on the D2000 are able to identify sibilance or such problems with the highs, and that seems likely.

There are so many different variations of mods that change the sound of the D2000. And, there is a wide variety of sources, amps, etc. being used with it. Thus, I suspect you have a synergy problem with your D2000. Meaning, this most likely could be traced down to any or all of the following: your source recorded material, your source equipment, your amp, D2000 cable if modded, or other mods to your D2000. And so, I suggest your next step should be to use your D2000 with different source equipment and material.

I can't stand sibilance and unruly high frequencies, which is a main reason why I have not bought the D2000. However, I also know that this is not a problem for everyone. And the only reason for this that makes sense to me is there is a synergy problem. I think changing mods is the wrong way of going about solving this. It's probably something else in the chain that's causing it.

Feb 20, 2009 at 1:23 PM Post #25 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by Maxvla /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A little education that it seems most everyone here needs to know:

Violins have a range from 196hz (G) to 4400hz (effective). Most of the playing done on a violin, save solo work, is in the 196-3500hz range with exceptions being higher. The entire range of a violin is in the midbass to mids (250hz-6khz) section, not highs (6khz+).

Any adjustment needed to fix violin work is mids (and more specifically low mids), not highs.

The only true highs you should hear in classical are certain percussion instruments, no other instruments are capable of 6khz and above. There are certainly harmonic overtones to consider (up to about 10khz), but the instruments themselves are much lower. You might find horns like the trumpet reaching over 6khz, but the quality of sound is poor because it is extremely difficult to reach.

I disagree. You're talking only about fundamentals. Harmonics are every bit as important; they are what makes a violin sound different from a flute when both are playing the same fundamental pitch.

Feb 20, 2009 at 8:41 PM Post #27 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1Time /img/forum/go_quote.gif

FWIR...

Not everyone has the same sensitivity for sibilance. I know that I'm very sensitive to sibilance, and sold the D2000 mainly for that reason.
And there was nothing wrong with them as far as I know.
Also with some other cans I have less sibilance problems than I had with the D2000. So it's hardly my source equipment imo.

Feb 20, 2009 at 11:04 PM Post #29 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiemen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not everyone has the same sensitivity for sibilance. I know that I'm very sensitive to sibilance, and sold the D2000 mainly for that reason.
And there was nothing wrong with them as far as I know.
Also with some other cans I have less sibilance problems than I had with the D2000. So it's hardly my source equipment imo.

Yes, I agree. Everyone does not have the same sensitivity for sibilance. And I agree that some headphones can be more prone to sibilance; meaning it will show sibilance with a wider variety of associated equipment and source material.

However, one example upon which I base my opinion about source equipment. I used to own an HD580 and used it with various equipment. My HD580 + cheap sound card = sibilance problem. My HD580 + HotUSB1 DAC/amp + portable amp = no sibilance problem. The equipment and source material matters. And so I consider it quite likely that someone like me who is very sensitive to sibilance could listen to a D2000 with rig "A" and have a problem with sibilance, but again with rig "B" and not have a problem with sibilance. And so, I have yet to write off my potential future purchase of the D2000. And, I consider the D2000 not to be alone regarding sibilance and synergy.

Feb 21, 2009 at 5:43 AM Post #30 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by supersleuth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I disagree. You're talking only about fundamentals. Harmonics are every bit as important; they are what makes a violin sound different from a flute when both are playing the same fundamental pitch.

If you've ever played a violin you'd know that isn't true. A flute sounds nothing like a violin at the same pitch when discounting harmonics. Flutes have a very clean airy sound whereas violins have a brushy rougher sound due to the string trying to vibrate with the bow still engaged on the string. If you ever were to record a violin EQ'd to cut off at 6khz it would still sound like a violin, you would just lose a little bit of the airy sound. It would very easily be distinguishable from a flute. I work with violins every single day, cheaper student instruments sound like they've been cut off by an EQ at 6khz, while the semi-pro and pro quality violins have the resonance of the higher frequency range.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back