Denon D2000 aggressive highs
Feb 19, 2009 at 11:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 39

Ynis Avalach

100+ Head-Fier
I'm a HD650 lover and with the balanced Beta22 it's exquisite
bigsmile_face.gif
!
Currently I'm auditioning the Denon AH-D2000 which I find has a uber bass but which highs are killing me. I would anyway only buy the D2000 to perform the markl mod with Jena Labs cable and maybe later LA Cups.

So my question to you is, does the Markl mod fix these aggressive highs or will I be really disappointed when I spent 400€ for this phone (with the various mods)?

Could anyone help me?

Greetz Ava

Feb 19, 2009 at 12:17 PM Post #2 of 39
For me I found generally closed headphones just emphasize bass and treble since their mids blow so much ass. Probably the more expensive closed out of my current budget range are different, hopefully. But up to 350$ haven't found a closed that's well balanced and doesn't color the music dramatically.

Feb 19, 2009 at 1:41 PM Post #3 of 39
I think a proper markl mod will in fact make the highs to become more aggressive.

Quote:

For me I found generally closed headphones just emphasize bass and treble since their mids blow so much ass. Probably the more expensive closed out of my current budget range are different, hopefully. But up to 350$ haven't found a closed that's well balanced and doesn't color the music dramatically.

Eq-ing the D2000 a bit will do a lot of wonder.
wink.gif

Feb 19, 2009 at 2:37 PM Post #4 of 39
I can't help you... I love the D2000 stock.

Feb 19, 2009 at 2:42 PM Post #5 of 39
Some people love aggressive highs and others don't. My 325is are testament to that.
wink.gif

EDIT: but as far as Denons are concerned, I certainly find the D1001s highs to be more pronounced and somewhat less natural-sounding than my SR80s' highs. I wonder if the 2000s are similar.

Feb 19, 2009 at 2:52 PM Post #6 of 39
Mmh, sad...
So I'll wait until HD800 comes out and decide if that's worth spending more or search alternatives.
I love modding headphones
biggrin.gif
, out...

Feb 19, 2009 at 3:28 PM Post #7 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by moogoob /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Some people love aggressive highs and others don't. My 325is are testament to that.
wink.gif

EDIT: but as far as Denons are concerned, I certainly find the D1001s highs to be more pronounced and somewhat less natural-sounding than my SR80s' highs. I wonder if the 2000s are similar.

Wow, shows how much perceptions can differ. I find the D1001 to be just a bit too polite in the highs, making high violin or woodwind lines sound ever so slightly muffled at times, whereas the large, broad upper-midrange peak of the Grados can make orchestral violin sections sound a bit tinny and glassy on some recordings, and I find my new Beyers to be just right.

Feb 19, 2009 at 3:40 PM Post #8 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by supersleuth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
orchestral violin sections

I was more thinking cymbals in a heavy metal recording, so that's where our opinions may differ.
biggrin.gif
Also, I must say that they were worse before break-in.

Feb 19, 2009 at 3:43 PM Post #9 of 39
If you feel the treble of the D2000 is too prominent, sibilant, sharp, the Markl mod will not help. What the mod did to my D2000 was give the bass more control and definition, which brought out the mids and emphasize the treble a bit more. It also expanded the soundstage. I think a good way to fix sibilance/ear piercing/hyper detailed highs is a warmer amp, or a recable to better copper cables.

I like my Grado Sr225 and ER4S, so the D2000's treble sounded as good as my favorite headphones/IEM.

Feb 19, 2009 at 3:44 PM Post #10 of 39
Good point, that's a good reminder that the type of music listened to makes a big difference. I could easily see where highs that just sound nicely open and transparent to some classical listeners could be deafening with some other kinds of music.

Feb 19, 2009 at 3:48 PM Post #11 of 39
Well the one I'm using right now has at least 50 hours, I guess. And what I just found out, is that it's perfect for movies, but not as perfect as the HD650 for music, for me. Well tonight I'll gonna try some different things.

btw as my HD650 has almost too much bass in balanced setup with the Beta22, the D2000 in SE with the Beta22 has a little too little. I heard it yesterday with the Beyerdynamic amplifier and that was almost scary, these bass waves, they kept on hitting me out of my shoes. Now with the Beta22 it's more civilized but more "loudness" like, not so much neutral as my HD650.

Thank btw for all your replys!

edit:I thought Beta22 is quite warm, at least for a solid state. Plus I thought that solid state is the way to go for Denons?
btw the sibilant which anoid me was coming from Céu, Malene Mortensen and Vienna Teng so no overly aggressive singers

Feb 19, 2009 at 3:52 PM Post #12 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ynis Avalach /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mmh, sad...
So I'll wait until HD800 comes out and decide if that's worth spending more or search alternatives.
I love modding headphones
biggrin.gif
, out...

Well, I found Tyson's suggestion of lining the inner cups with reflective material such as cloth to be quite effective in taming the highs and sibilance. I initially put dynamat there but it didn't sound right to my ears.

Feb 19, 2009 at 3:55 PM Post #13 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by K3cT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I found Tyson's suggestion of lining the inner cups with reflective material such as cloth to be quite effective in taming the highs and sibilance. I initially put dynamat there but it didn't sound right to my ears.

If I were to get that phone that would have been the way to go anyway, so Dynamat+cloth over it, or just normal Bitumen+some cloth or even better Dynamat with little holes in it and/or a wavely surface+some cloths

Feb 19, 2009 at 5:39 PM Post #14 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by K3cT /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Which suggestion is that btw? My modded D2000 were very sibilant with plastic cups and the mod.. removing the fiberloft and the plastic cup helped, as did the wood cups, but I sense there's room for additional improvement

Plus thats only on some recordings

Other then that, love the sound !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back