Denon D2/5000 descriptions at Headroom
May 20, 2008 at 2:35 AM Post #16 of 29
Not sure why you would want to recable the d5000's their stock cable is quite impressive. I bought its little brother simply because I could get them through buydotcom for just a little over 200 bucks. Eventually may do the Markl mod and/or recable but to be honest bone stock its sounds phenomenal and has taken the place as my second most favorite home/office cans.

May 20, 2008 at 2:48 AM Post #17 of 29
Oh, I agree. I'm listening to my D2000's right now in fact. As of right now, if forced to pick one only, I'd go with my K&01's, but it's quite close. Denons actually get more headtime because of comfort, but the 701s are just a bit more articulate.

May 20, 2008 at 2:50 AM Post #18 of 29
I'm 100% sure I'll never replace my D2000 with any other *current* model headphone on the market today. That's how strongly I feel they got it right. I may ante up for a D5000 if I got a pay bonus burning a hole in my pocket. Until AKG, or Sennheiser come out with a new flagship headphone, I'm out of the market for full-sized headphones. For once, I feel like I don't need to buy more hardware, I just need to find more music to feed into the Denon.

I've always felt that neither the AKG K701, HD6xx, nor Beyer DT880/990, nor any Grado really had the tonal balance right. I sold them off (I still have the AKG, but I might sell them off too). They were either too veiled, too thin, too bright, too bassy/warm, etc, there was always at least one flaw that had me reaching for the EQ controls. But the D2000 gets it more right than all of those contenders. So I agree with Headroom that objectively, this headphone ranks up there with the best of them.

May 20, 2008 at 3:07 AM Post #19 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by greggf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Denon D5000 just arrived.

that was quick...from interested to delivered in less than 24 hours!
tongue.gif

glad you are happy with them.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 20, 2008 at 4:13 AM Post #20 of 29
The D5000 are incredible phones. Super comfortable. A little boomy for the music that I listen to, but maybe with a different rig.

There is a lot of talk about the boomy D5000 bass. I feel that way about them and was surprised that those Headroom graphs do not show any bass hump.

May 20, 2008 at 7:53 AM Post #21 of 29
Overnight delivery from Amazon at their new low price!! With 30 days to try them at no risk. So I order & then ask questions.
biggrin.gif

warp, my sentiments echo yours........

May 20, 2008 at 10:11 AM Post #22 of 29
It's all according to what your musical choices. I had a pair of D2000 and sold them with zero regret. To me, they're useful if you want rock/pop and are concerned about overall comfort.......otherwise, Grado is still better in this regard. ..........if it is Classical, Jazz vocals, or Jazz Instrumentals, then you are better off with modded k340 for Sym./Opera/Oratorio. X-Deep Darths are supreme as overall easy listening (I have 2 pair), and like Alessandro MS Pro w/flats for Jazz vocals. Outside of the one suggestion re Denon, I have no further interest in them. Simply Rock/Pop as a comfort selection.......although I did not try D5000 - which seems the smarter choice between the two models because it is uneconomic to buy them and then attempt to improve them via mods, or recabling. I'm not saying they are bad headphones - simply not adequate for other genres where more critical standards tend to apply.

May 20, 2008 at 11:08 AM Post #23 of 29
You guys make it reeeally hard to resist getting a Denon. Yesterday I had the urge, but convinced myself that they are Sennheiser-like, and that I'm not into the Sennheiser sound. I haven't even got my RS1 yet and already eyeing the Denons. All this raving is really bad for me. Enough is enough I say.

May 20, 2008 at 12:51 PM Post #24 of 29
IMHO, it's better to have a few headphones with different sound signatures and uses than trying to get The One Can To Rule Them All.

May 20, 2008 at 2:13 PM Post #25 of 29
That's what I used to think, but now that I have a headphone that does so many types of music justice, I'm much happier.

In the end, it gets me involved with the music better than all of the others I've had before. That's what counts. There are others that may be smoother, more detailed, wider imaging etc, but if I'm always aware that they are flawed tonally, that disconnects me from the music, and I end up analyzing the sound of the headphone.

But I can see your point, some recordings are just more suited for one model of headphone that another. Some recordings are way too bassy, and thus they might sound too bloated on the Denon, in which case, I pull out my AKG or Ety for example.

May 20, 2008 at 8:10 PM Post #26 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by greggf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Overnight delivery from Amazon at their new low price!! With 30 days to try them at no risk. So I order & then ask questions.
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Solan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IMHO, it's better to have a few headphones with different sound signatures and uses than trying to get The One Can To Rule Them All.

i have the D2000's, HD650's and AT ESW9's. They're all great, but i am strongly considering upgrading.

all it'll take are a couple drinks to push me over the top and i may very well end up with the D5000's and AT AD2000's in my mailbox the next day!
tongue.gif

May 20, 2008 at 8:20 PM Post #27 of 29
My take on it is

MD5000 (markl-mod D5000) = closed can, slight leaning to dark side in the sense of having extended bass. Extended, controlled bass, though.
RS-1 = open, light can, for rock and jazz jedis. The compliment to the D5000 sound signature.
FutureSonic M8 = IEMs for noisy environments, on the dark side to protect hearing

... and I have SR-325i from before. Metal, so they are my high-end cans that port well. Well, almost my take. I have yet to buy the RS-1. Upcoming ...

May 20, 2008 at 8:29 PM Post #28 of 29
I just took a flyer and have a pair of modded d5000s on their way to me from MarkL. I had a pair of recabled D2000s a while back and couldn't listen to them. the bass sounded like loud farting to me. But maybe that is because I was using a tube amp (Yamamoto) and it did not take control of their bass. So when I read that MarkL had tamed the bass of the d5000, and also since I am now using a ss Lisa III, I am hoping for a better Denon experience. Probably by the end of the week I will be starting to burn them in.

May 21, 2008 at 3:48 AM Post #29 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Solan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My take on it is

MD5000 (markl-mod D5000) = closed can, slight leaning to dark side in the sense of having extended bass. Extended, controlled bass, though.
RS-1 = open, light can, for rock and jazz jedis. The compliment to the D5000 sound signature.
FutureSonic M8 = IEMs for noisy environments, on the dark side to protect hearing

... and I have SR-325i from before. Metal, so they are my high-end cans that port well. Well, almost my take. I have yet to buy the RS-1. Upcoming ...

I'm listening to the D5000, RS-1, and D2000. I like the more intimate soundstage and openness of the Grados personally... The D2000 are awesome phones, but the D5000 are indeed better all around. Hard to quantify... just more magic.
biggrin.gif
I'll burn them in more as they seem to get better and better. My favorite closed phone (at the moment - favorite last words)!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back