Denon D2/5000 descriptions at Headroom
May 19, 2008 at 12:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

greggf

1000+ Head-Fier
There are some mighty glowing descriptions of the Denon D2000 and D5000 at Headroom's website.

I tend to think of their site as a valuable resource and Tyll's/Headroom's opinions as pretty good about most things. Are their high opinions of these headphones accurate or over-the-top, now that people have had some extended time with them?

And where do the D2000/5000 fit in with other headphones such as the DT770/880/990, the K701, and the HD6X0? There are a million posts on this, but what is the latest thinking on pecking order, sound/quality/value-wise?

I ask because I may be interested in adding the D5000 and deleting a couple of my other cans, depending upon what people say.

May 19, 2008 at 2:23 AM Post #2 of 29
sorry to burst your bubble, but the order is subjective, and is different for everyone!

May 19, 2008 at 3:52 AM Post #4 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
HR sells headphones.

they give 5 bars (stars) to just about all top model full size headphones.

Exactly. Though I have to admit, that whole Denon line-up has been getting very good reviews from them, which is rare. Well, rare for an entire company that they sell.

May 19, 2008 at 4:56 AM Post #6 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by grndslm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The D2000 is awesome. Buy it and tell me how it compares to other headphones!!

If you wanna get the D5000, a customized Darth Beyer is prolly a better buy.

The D2000 is sexy and awesome. It sounds far better than darths I think. They sound boomy and logitech like, with midbass pretending to be deep - and the mids sounding nasally, sibilant and strident. The D2000s are nice especially with proper amplification such as yours Greggf.

May 19, 2008 at 6:46 AM Post #8 of 29
Enlightening replies, all of them.

Opinions on the Denons are all over the map - great, terrible.

At first I ignored them. I assumed that they were FOTM. Then in the last few weeks, prices have come down at some sources, and some key Head-Fiers have broken down and ordered them.

I'm surprised to see Headroom so forcefully behind them. I'm guessing they're swayed a bit by the Denons' stellar measurements?

May 19, 2008 at 11:34 AM Post #9 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by greggf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm surprised to see Headroom so forcefully behind them. I'm guessing they're swayed a bit by the Denons' stellar measurements?

They also actually LISTEN to all the headphones that they sell.
The measurements just reinforce their listening impressions.

Sometimes their listening impressions do not match the measurements in some way, and if that happens, they say so, and how it differs.

Not many sellers actually listen to the stuff they sell, and *none* (that I know of) supply ANY form of measurements to help your buying decisions.

May 19, 2008 at 11:47 AM Post #10 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've had two Darths, and stayed with the D2000 which I think are better.

Wow, interesting. From reading (far too many) threads here on head-fi the impression I got was that the Darths were a decent step up from the D2000s - I was almost sold. Some people (Skylab?) even say to get both...

Anyway, for whatever reason I decided to upgrade to the D5000s instead
smily_headphones1.gif

May 19, 2008 at 2:47 PM Post #11 of 29
I like my D2000's a lot. Well worth the money. I run them side by side with K701s. Generally, I use the D200s when listening to harder rock, electronica, anything of that nature. K701s get head time when listening to anything acoustic, symphonic, etc. Both are very good phones though. The one thing I will say against the D2000 is that because of the extremely low impedance, they do not really work with tube amps, so you'll need a solid state rig for best results.

Oh, one final thing: The D2000's are easily the most comfortable headphones I've ever had. Quite light, the earcups are very soft and smooth, and the headband properly padded. I can easily wear them for 6+ hours straight during extended gaming sessions.

May 19, 2008 at 11:09 PM Post #12 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by one-eyed-xander /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, interesting. From reading (far too many) threads here on head-fi the impression I got was that the Darths were a decent step up from the D2000s - I was almost sold. Some people (Skylab?) even say to get both...

Anyway, for whatever reason I decided to upgrade to the D5000s instead
smily_headphones1.gif

It's the deep cup Darths that are so highly spoken of, but both my normal cup Darths were dark and boomy with recessed mids and could not be enjoyed without EQ.

Also, as seen in my public profile, my D2000 have been re-cabled which removes the veil and tightens the bass and lifts the highs.

May 19, 2008 at 11:50 PM Post #13 of 29
I had AKG K701's and they sounded pretty good but were terribly uncomfortable (for me). My 5000's are, to me, an order of magnitude better in sound quality. No comparison, really. And they are VERY comfortable. Great sound and comfort - pretty hard to beat. I have no interest in other cans. Period.

May 20, 2008 at 12:07 AM Post #14 of 29
The Denon D5000 just arrived.

Cold out of the box, I'd say that this changes everything.

They sound really, really good, and very appealing. My raw first impressions are that they are a more direct, less murky HD650. They remind me a lot of the HD600, in that both are clearly designed to be all-purpose utility infielders, good at everything but perhaps not excellent at anything, but the Denons clearly go LOWLOWLOWer.

My own concern is practical: they feel physically fragile, build-quality-wise, like a pale lady out in the hot sun.

My wife said that the D5000 have "a little bit of magic" that the Sennheisers lack.

I'd agree, and imagine that they will get better as hours are put on them.

Maybe my VHP-2 synergizes well with the Denon. Sure seems it.

Yikes. The Denon headphones aren't FOTM. At the very least, they're very good and they're worth the $$.

I'm frankly surprised and in a bit of shock.

May 20, 2008 at 2:15 AM Post #15 of 29
Urg, don't tempt me. Don't want to think about the wallet hit for recabled D5000s
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back