Denon D1000 vs. Equation RP-21?
Jul 12, 2007 at 7:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

souperman

Headphoneus Supremus
I know that not a lot of people have the D1000's, but is there anyone that has compared these two? I know both have thumping bass (more than DT770's, correct me if I'm wrong), but I was wondering about the mids of both these cans. Does any of the two have good mids (as good as isolating cans can get)? I'm currently going to try out some <$150 isolating cans, and I'm not into the DT700's at all (mids are WAY to recessed). I'm only interested in these two however, so please keep the comments to just these two headphones. Thanks.

Jul 12, 2007 at 7:50 PM Post #2 of 19
I have both in the house right now, and will be comparing them along with a couple of other sealed cans in the same price range.

Both of these headphones sound very good and offer remarkable sound quality for the price. The Denons do not isolate as well, but they are more comfortable, smaller, lighter, and look nicer.

I can't really compare their sound quality yet, but I will soon.

Jul 12, 2007 at 8:41 PM Post #3 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have both in the house right now, and will be comparing them along with a couple of other sealed cans in the same price range.

Both of these headphones sound very good and offer remarkable sound quality for the price. The Denons do not isolate as well, but they are more comfortable, smaller, lighter, and look nicer.

I can't really compare their sound quality yet, but I will soon.

Ah, I see. Sounds good. Just wondering if anyone HAS done a comparison yet? Just a prelim to Skylab's review :p.

Jul 12, 2007 at 8:44 PM Post #4 of 19
yep, i have the two let me have a quick listen.

having a quick listen on Tenacious D - Tribute, to be honest the mids are quite hard to distinguish. I would say the Denon's have a shade, fraction, a touch more detail than the RP21's.

moving onto Wonderboy the mids on the Denon's are slightly easier to pick out, but i really mean slighty. we're not talking chalk and cheese here.

but the RP21's have more bass weight, in this case it makes it harder not to let your concentration start to feel the bass in the overall presentation.

souperman, you have to take into consideration that i've had the RP21's for 3 days, and the Denon's only a few hours. they both need a bit more 'burn-in time.

i have to say that the RP21's are starting to show their strength. i'm hoping the Denon's will warm up as well as the RP21's.

Jul 12, 2007 at 8:50 PM Post #5 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by captian73 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yep, i have the two let me have a quick listen.

having a quick listen on Tenacious D - Tribute, to be honest the mids are quite hard to distinguish. I would say the Denon's have a shade, fraction, a touch more detail than the RP21's.

moving onto Wonderboy the mids on the Denon's are slightly easier to pick out, but i really mean slighty. we're not talking chalk and cheese here.

but the RP21's have more bass weight, in this case it makes it harder not to let your concentration start to feel the bass in the overall presentation.

souperman, you have to take into consideration that i've had the RP21's for 3 days, and the Denon's only a few hours. they both need a bit more 'burn-in time.

i have to say that the RP21's are starting to show their strength. i'm hoping the Denon's will warm up as well as the RP21's.

Cool, that's just what I wanted to hear. Keep me posted on your findings after more time with the Denon's!

I was wondering...these two have MORE bass than the regular DT770's right?

BTW, where's the cheapest place you can buy the D1000's? Edit: Seems like amazon is the best place right now. Forget my comment.

Jul 12, 2007 at 9:11 PM Post #6 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by souperman /img/forum/go_quote.gif

BTW, where's the cheapest place you can buy the D1000's? Edit: Seems like amazon is the best place right now. Forget my comment.

froogle it. Saw a deal for $119. Dunno how reputable the vendor is.

I have the D1000s. So I walk into Fry's the other day and they had about 4 of these lying around in the headphone section. Needless to say, I purchased a black pair for $149.00. I still cant get over it. These seem to be a bit of a hard find and finding them at Fry's was something I least expected.

I'm still burning them in so wont comment on sound quality just yet. But I did take a listen every once in a while as they were playing. They sound very very nice and are easily worth their price tag. And they are the most comfortable cans I've worn and look very nice as well. These will be my office/travel HPs. Heck, I've started loving these to the extent that I put my ATH-ES7s for sale.

Crap, now I'm tempted to get the D2000s too. I hate this place !

Jul 12, 2007 at 9:16 PM Post #8 of 19
I don't think either of these headphones has MORE bass than the DT770, no. The DT770 pro 80 has more. The 2005 DT770 has about the same.

Both the Denon and the RP21 have slightly less recessed mids than the DT770, though (the current gen DT770's mids really aren't very recessed, though).

Jul 12, 2007 at 9:20 PM Post #9 of 19
Quote:

I don't think either of these headphones has MORE bass than the DT770, no. The DT770 pro 80 has more. The 2005 DT770 has about the same.

Both the Denon and the RP21 have slightly less recessed mids than the DT770, though (the current gen DT770's mids really aren't very recessed, though).

Ah, I see. I stand corrected then. Do they have pretty thumping bass though (just on your preliminary listens)?

Jul 12, 2007 at 9:27 PM Post #10 of 19
Oh yes, I think they both have very full, excellent bass. And I am a died-in-the-wool basshead.

Jul 12, 2007 at 9:55 PM Post #11 of 19
Quote:

Oh yes, I think they both have very full, excellent bass. And I am a died-in-the-wool basshead.

Awesome. I think I'm leaning towards the Denon's now. The do look at lot better
smily_headphones1.gif
. Again, has anyone bought from cethe1stopshop on amazon.com? They are selling it for the cheapest price I can find anywhere.

Jul 13, 2007 at 3:17 AM Post #12 of 19
Yeah, I bought mine from cethe1stopshop. I was satisfied with their service. D1000 has very nice bass... but not as big as DT770s. DT770 has more midbass, D1000 has deeper tighter bass, and the mids aren't as recessed.

Jul 13, 2007 at 12:41 PM Post #14 of 19
So far I am VERY impressed by the D1000. They sound FAR better than they have a right to for the money, and they are comfy and light. Really nice cans!

Jul 13, 2007 at 2:22 PM Post #15 of 19
i have to say that i'm not 100% blown away by the bass of the Denon's but they do sound phenomenal for the price. i'd rather be with the Denon than an equivalent pair of Grado's.

Sorry to sound shallow but it's the overall sound and style of the Denon's that have blown me away. I'd rather be seen out with the Denon's on than a pair of grado's.

the RP21's are more weighty, but i'm not going to say that i like the RP21's more. the D1000's are light as a feather and alot more comfortable.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...4336007&sr=8-2

Users who are viewing this thread

Back