Denon C551 vs V-Moda Vibe
Apr 7, 2008 at 5:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

stairway123

New Head-Fier
Just picked up a pair of C551's and I can't complain. But I was wondering how they stack up the the V-Moda Vibe... vibes are marketed more effectively obviously. Apple's website doesn't even carry Denon products. Amazon doesn't have a stock image for the c551... etc

Both phones are bass-focused, from what I gather. But people around here go crazy over Denon's c700/751/551 and some even recommend them over Shure SE330, UE Super.fi 3/5... so naturally the Vibes are complete crap compared to Denon... or are they.

Conventional wisdom would say the Vibe is flashy, stylish, over-marketed, cheaply made, odd sound signature, inaccurate sound, overpowering bass; and the c551 is bass-heavy, more accurate/detailed, better mids/highs, quality construction, better value, good looking. But there are alot of people who LOVE the Vibes...

Are V-Moda's sound signature similar to the C551?
And, furthermore, to what extent is the Vibe just style over substance?

Apr 7, 2008 at 5:51 AM Post #2 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by stairway123 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just picked up a pair of C551's and I can't complain. But I was wondering how they stack up the the V-Moda Vibe... vibes are marketed more effectively obviously. Apple's website doesn't even carry Denon products. Amazon doesn't have a stock image for the c551... etc

Both phones are bass-focused, from what I gather. But people around here go crazy over Denon's c700/751/551 and some even recommend them over Shure SE330, UE Super.fi 3/5... so naturally the Vibes are complete crap compared to Denon... or are they.

Conventional wisdom would say the Vibe is flashy, stylish, over-marketed, cheaply made, odd sound signature, inaccurate sound, overpowering bass; and the c551 is bass-heavy, more accurate/detailed, better mids/highs, quality construction, better value, good looking. But there are alot of people who LOVE the Vibes...

Are V-Moda's sound signature similar to the C551?
And, furthermore, to what extent is the Vibe just style over substance?

I will never ever pick up a V-Moda again. Many people have found just how awful the new generation sounds. I am basing this off it's price point. Muddy and recessed is all I have to say.

Apr 22, 2008 at 11:50 PM Post #5 of 15
I've owned both... and the Vibes were sold off, and the C551's are keepers! Whole other league with the Denons.

Apr 23, 2008 at 1:32 AM Post #6 of 15
x2. Vibes can't compare, even at nearly twice the price, of the 551s. And I am not a huge Denon fan. I do like the 551s. If you are looking for a canalphone comparably priced to the 551s and Vibes, check out the Head-Direct RE2s, which have been reviewed on Head-Fi and are $80 for Head-Fi members until 4/26. I own them too, and I prefer them to the 551s, but a small margin (flatter response, less boomy). Both phones, to me, require some EQ to sound their best. But the Vibes, no way.

Apr 23, 2008 at 1:17 PM Post #7 of 15
The Denons are defintely a much better phone then the Vibes. From what I can gather, the older ones were the ones that actualyl sounded good (hence where you read the reviews that people liked them). You will not find old ones, and the new ones ARE crap IMO. The Denon C551 are worth the price.

Denon AH-C551

Apr 25, 2008 at 9:56 PM Post #8 of 15
I used to own the Vibes, and never really liked them. I found them uncomfortable and they only lasted for 3 months of fairly light use before the cable broke and I lost sound to the right earbud. I can't remember being particuarly happy with the sound quality either (though it's a while back so I can't remember them in detail).

I took delivery of the Denon AH-C551s today, and I was initially a bit disapointed ... I'd heard such good things about them, but I didn't seem to be able to get a good seal and the bass was pretty medicore compared to what I'd been expecting.

I spent some time looking on eBay to see if I could find some alternative tips, and after a while of fiddling around I discovered that I'd just been trying to hard to push the tips right into my ear canal (as I'm used to doing with IEMS). I found that if I just gently place the AH-C551s above my ear canal I now get a really good seal, and although I've only been using them a few hours I'm amazed how good they sound (and how comfortable they are).

They've put a massive smile on my face, and I'm working through some old albums I haven't heard in a long time, as they just add a new dimension of depth and clarity. I've heard that replacement Sony tips give an even better seal so I might still try those, but I can't imagine them getting much better than they already are.

I'd definitely recommend the Denon's and warn others about buying the Vibes.

Apr 26, 2008 at 3:15 AM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by digivate /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I used to own the Vibes, and never really liked them. I found them uncomfortable and they only lasted for 3 months of fairly light use before the cable broke and I lost sound to the right earbud. I can't remember being particuarly happy with the sound quality either (though it's a while back so I can't remember them in detail).

I took delivery of the Denon AH-C551s today, and I was initially a bit disapointed ... I'd heard such good things about them, but I didn't seem to be able to get a good seal and the bass was pretty medicore compared to what I'd been expecting.

I spent some time looking on eBay to see if I could find some alternative tips, and after a while of fiddling around I discovered that I'd just been trying to hard to push the tips right into my ear canal (as I'm used to doing with IEMS). I found that if I just gently place the AH-C551s above my ear canal I now get a really good seal, and although I've only been using them a few hours I'm amazed how good they sound (and how comfortable they are).

They've put a massive smile on my face, and I'm working through some old albums I haven't heard in a long time, as they just add a new dimension of depth and clarity. I've heard that replacement Sony tips give an even better seal so I might still try those, but I can't imagine them getting much better than they already are.

I'd definitely recommend the Denon's and warn others about buying the Vibes.

Congrats on the C551's. I love them. They put a smile on my face too all the time, and when paired with my NWZ-A829 create such a lively dynamic combo. I swear I listen to it around 6 hours a day, including at work.

As for tips, you will find the genuine sony tips to be a nice upgrade. They help a slight bit with soundstage, treble detail, and bass (basically across the board). But don't go for any of the replacement Sony tips from Ebay or anything. Try to find yourself a set of genuine sony tips that actually come from a pair of their EX earphones. They will be slightly charcoal in color and a tiny bit translucent. Those are the ones. They stay put a bit better too. I haven't tried them yet, but supposedly tips from Audio Technica canal phones are good too. Also, there's someone who swears by tips from Koss KEB 24 canal phones work well too. Check Walmart: Walmart.com : Koss Stereophone Earbuds, Blue, KEB/24B : Audio

You can look over this thread- I got a pair free from there.
Sony MDR-EX 51/71/81 Eartip Exchange Thread - iPod - iPhone - iTunes Forums at iLounge

Apr 26, 2008 at 10:25 AM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by cn11 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Congrats on the C551's. I love them. They put a smile on my face too all the time, and when paired with my NWZ-A829 create such a lively dynamic combo. I swear I listen to it around 6 hours a day, including at work.

As for tips, you will find the genuine sony tips to be a nice upgrade. They help a slight bit with soundstage, treble detail, and bass (basically across the board). But don't go for any of the replacement Sony tips from Ebay or anything. Try to find yourself a set of genuine sony tips that actually come from a pair of their EX earphones. They will be slightly charcoal in color and a tiny bit translucent. Those are the ones. They stay put a bit better too. I haven't tried them yet, but supposedly tips from Audio Technica canal phones are good too. Also, there's someone who swears by tips from Koss KEB 24 canal phones work well too. Check Walmart: Walmart.com : Koss Stereophone Earbuds, Blue, KEB/24B : Audio

You can look over this thread- I got a pair free from there.
Sony MDR-EX 51/71/81 Eartip Exchange Thread - iPod - iPhone - iTunes Forums at iLounge

I lay in bed for about 7 hours last night listening to a load of my favourite albums from the past, and loving the extra detail that I'd not noticed before.

To be honest, I previously thought I was a bit cloth-eared (plus I have some tinitus on my left side) so I didn't think I'd ever be a proper audiophile. With my previous earphones I've always thought that I couldn't tell any difference between MP3s encoded at low and high bit rates. However, I now keep thinking "this album doesn't sound so good as the last one" and if I check the bit rates I find that I'm a bit disapointed with anything under 320Kb.

I think I'm going to have to re-burn all of my albums at a much higher bit rate now.

Thanks for your advice regarding the tips. I'm in the UK so finding the source of legitimate replacement tips for either the Sony MDR-EX or Koss KEB 24 earbuds is proving a bit difficult ... anyone in the UK know where either of these tips can be bought ?

Apr 26, 2008 at 10:40 AM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

... anyone in the UK know where either of these tips can be bought ?

Advanced MP3 Players have spares for Sony EX series, go to headphones>accessories and thay will be on one of the first 2-3 pages.

Apr 26, 2008 at 11:27 AM Post #12 of 15
the first gen vibe was ok, but fragile. i recieved some last gen vibes when they broke, but gave them away after a month.

Apr 26, 2008 at 12:23 PM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

I lay in bed for about 7 hours last night listening to a load of my favourite albums from the past, and loving the extra detail that I'd not noticed before.

To be honest, I previously thought I was a bit cloth-eared (plus I have some tinitus on my left side) so I didn't think I'd ever be a proper audiophile. With my previous earphones I've always thought that I couldn't tell any difference between MP3s encoded at low and high bit rates. However, I now keep thinking "this album doesn't sound so good as the last one" and if I check the bit rates I find that I'm a bit disapointed with anything under 320Kb.

I think I'm going to have to re-burn all of my albums at a much higher bit rate now.

Thanks for your advice regarding the tips. I'm in the UK so finding the source of legitimate replacement tips for either the Sony MDR-EX or Koss KEB 24 earbuds is proving a bit difficult ... anyone in the UK know where either of these tips can be bought ?

PM soozieq, she is in the UK is the resident fan of the Denon canalphones (she has both the C700s and 551s) and knows where to get the Sony sleeves. Another alternative, which are also hard to get at a decent prince in the UK, unfortunately, are the Comply T400 foamies. I use them with the 551s and they are really comfy, with great SQ.

Apr 26, 2008 at 2:27 PM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by r@mside /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Advanced MP3 Players have spares for Sony EX series, go to headphones>accessories and thay will be on one of the first 2-3 pages.

Thanks for this.

I'd spent the morning trying to find UK suppliers and Advanced MP3 Players was the cheapest I came across. That said, I still think £8.48 (once shipping is included) is a lot, especially as they're sold in packs of 3 various sizes so only one pair is going to get used.

I've just checked Amazon, and they're available through the marketplace for £4.51 (£0.01 plus £4.50 shipping). That's a bit more like it ... though I can't be sure they're the official Sony ones rather than cheap copies.

Apr 28, 2008 at 4:31 AM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
PM soozieq, she is in the UK is the resident fan of the Denon canalphones (she has both the C700s and 551s) and knows where to get the Sony sleeves. Another alternative, which are also hard to get at a decent prince in the UK, unfortunately, are the Comply T400 foamies. I use them with the 551s and they are really comfy, with great SQ.

I have Comply T400's on the way for my C551's for when I travel. Can't wait to demo them with the Sony EX tip which I use currently.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back