Denon AHD2000 or ATH-M50s
May 9, 2010 at 1:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

gallien

New Head-Fier
looking for serious bass but still good mids and highs i prefer to not have an amp. what do you guys recommend?

want to run the headphones off of an xtrememusic card for mostly fps games and listening to rap,trance,metal music

for any other suggestions I dont want to spend over $250

May 9, 2010 at 1:36 AM Post #2 of 11

ATH-M50 are good because they don't need an amp... Denon D2000s on the other hand really do need an amp to sound there best, without they're rather lifeless and hollow sounding. I haven't heard the M50 but I'm sure other listeners will chime in, however for your listening preference I'd suggest an Ultrasone HFI-780 which is terrific with gaming and bass heavy music... they improve with an amp but then most headphones do.

May 9, 2010 at 1:38 AM Post #3 of 11
What kind of amp would you suggest for the Denon's?

(one that is non-expensive) 
beerchug.gif

May 9, 2010 at 2:39 AM Post #4 of 11
I've heard solid state amps do very well with Denons. Audio GD, Meier, and others I don't remember are often recommended on the Appreciation thread. I've also heard hybrids do a pretty good job as well.

May 9, 2010 at 2:53 AM Post #6 of 11
The Hifiman EF2 is a really good match for the D2000s, but the next step up is an Audio-gd amp

May 9, 2010 at 8:16 AM Post #7 of 11
I'm a big fan of the D2000.  I really like them.  But the reason I like them is because I've got them amped well enough and EQed to fix the recessed midrange.  Without the EQ I wouldn't be so enthusiastic about them.  For me the EQ is a necessity with most metal music and hard rock.  The guitar distortion sound lives in the recessed region of the D2000.  The recessed midrange kills the distorted guitar sound and sucks the life out of the music that metal and hard rock need.  If you're not willing to EQ the D2000 with a parametric EQ then I wouldn't recommend them as a first choice for metal and hard rock.  For rap and trance the recessed midrange doesn't matter so much and you don't need the EQ.  I'm being picky the sound, but this is head-fi where the goal is to be picky.

The D2000 also isn't so great with 3D type sound positioning as needed for FPS gaming.  Few closed headphones are exceptionally good at that.  The Denon will give you great grenade explosion sounds but not so good for sound positioning.

A alternative suggestion would be the M50 for music and something like the Audio Technica AD700 for gaming.  Those two headphones together can be had for less than the price of the D2000.  And amping isn't so important with either of those headphones.

May 9, 2010 at 1:56 PM Post #9 of 11
this is just my opinion, and i will try to share it respectfully... 

i'm not sure i would recommend spending double the price of the m50s for the denons - a headphone that is widely considered to have recessed mids.  even if the d2000 has slightly (?) better bass (according to many comparisons here).

the m50 can be had for 100 or less, and has very satisfying bass.
the sound signature of the m50, briefly, is this:
it is a warm, slightly dark headphone.  the mids are pushed forward, to keep the bass from stepping on them.  this makes them "exciting".  and, the highs are recessed slightly, but still there.  i'm very sensitive to treble, and find this presentation more "fun".

i'm obviously going to be outnumbered here, and out-voted as well.  that's okay.  that's what head-fi is all about. 
L3000.gif

but, i'll close with this:
in my humble opinion, the m50s perform so well, and so far above their price, that i cannot help but endorse them. 

bigsmile_face.gif

May 9, 2010 at 4:13 PM Post #10 of 11
From what I'm finding the Denons are best suited for me, but I haven't located a located a low price solid state amp that match them well. A second choice people seem to be pointing out to me is the Ultrasone HFI-780. From what I've read, they are a little bit less than the Denons, but they do not require external amping nearly as much as the Denons. Finally the cheaper M50 seems to be the best bang for the buck as it does not need external amping to reach its potential. 

May 9, 2010 at 5:22 PM Post #11 of 11

Quote:
From what I'm finding the Denons are best suited for me, but I haven't located a located a low price solid state amp that match them well. A second choice people seem to be pointing out to me is the Ultrasone HFI-780. From what I've read, they are a little bit less than the Denons, but they do not require external amping nearly as much as the Denons. Finally the cheaper M50 seems to be the best bang for the buck as it does not need external amping to reach its potential. 

Also the Ultrasone Pro750 has some serious, praty bass. Its very articulate and present. These are my first "legit" headphones and although I don't yet have an amp, they are quite satisfactory and enjoyable both out of of my iPod and onboard audio. Can be easily had for $250 and under on ebay.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back