Denon AH-GC20 Headphone Discussion Thread
Aug 25, 2015 at 12:35 PM Post #151 of 179
I've owned my Denon AH-GC20 head phones for about 2 weeks now, I want to update my last review.
I've played with my Boom Equalizer and my Pandora settings and my GC20's have come alive!!!
This is the Best $400.00 I spent..

Aug 27, 2015 at 4:24 AM Post #152 of 179
If you hav
  I've owned my Denon AH-GC20 head phones for about 2 weeks now, I want to update my last review.
I've played with my Boom Equalizer and my Pandora settings and my GC20's have come alive!!!
This is the Best $400.00 I spent..

If you havent' tried it yet try BOOM 2 !! I upgraded to Yosemite to try it and damn it's soooo worthy !! Way beyond Boom 1 in terms of quality and settings ! The Equalizer is so precise !!!

Sep 29, 2015 at 2:21 AM Post #156 of 179
Can anyone point me to a direct comparison between the Momentum Wireless and the AH-GC20?

If you check out Amazon, the Momentum Wireless 2 production has been stopped due to bad signal cutting off and bad hinge quality.

I would say the new Momentum for this generation is slight gamble according to Amazon reviews. They may sound great, but time will tell.

Edit: i just received these. They have a really good volume, the low end is really there as the denon signature. The hinges are strong and sturdy. However, these headphones have a major flaw. They absolutely leak so much sound. I have to make them half the volume to make them not disturbing. These will absolutely disturb a person next to you on a plane or couch. On a train, these will not disturb anyone over the ambient noise; so that is a perfect scenario for them.

Anyone know how to reduce headphone leak? Maybe the leather covers need to be more dense? These things are cushioned to have so much give to be comfortable. It is not dense at all.

Oct 13, 2015 at 11:34 PM Post #157 of 179
Anyone figure out how to remove the leather earpads for these headphones? I can't figure it out. I want to try with Brainwavz memory foam earpads and see if I can reduce the sound leak.

On a side note anyone feel like these headphones places voices a little far away in the soundstage? Like a private/small stage venue.

Yeah, the cups are removable, but I don't really see how would this work without blocking the sound? Do you have an example photo of this?

Anyway, I did some measurements and uploaded couple photos - have a look at http://bit.ly/1AjNHDS  

The pointy thing seems to be about 3-4mm higher than the driver but that's enough to be annoying.

How do I remove these earpads? 

Nov 12, 2015 at 4:45 AM Post #158 of 179
The Denons are on my shortlist for a over-ear, noise isolating (or cancelling), Bluetooth headphone along with the Sennheiser Momentum 2 Wireless and VMODA Crossfade Wireless (so far).

I'm not an audiophile by any means as my music on the move is simple AAC+ format via Apple devices. However I would prioritise sound quality over noise cancelling.

Has anyone used these Denons with Apple devices via Bluetooth and cable? Very interested in any opinions if so, there seems to be a real lack of reviews online for these compared to alternatives, which I find surprising given Denon's credibility in the audio space generally.

Nov 12, 2015 at 9:44 AM Post #159 of 179
I run my GC-20's with Apple devices and Apple computer, and it sounds great... I use my I-Phone 5s at night  before I fall asleep in bluetooth mode, sounds very good and when Im about to fall asleep I just shut off the headphones, iPhone just stops playing. When I run my Mac Book Pro to do the same job I shut of my headphones and the computer switches over to its speakers and wakes up my wife, not good!
The GC-20's sound better when Peared up with the laptop but its more convenient to run with my I-phone.

Dec 21, 2015 at 7:36 AM Post #160 of 179
Hello all,

I have read on some threads that people buy TRRS cable for their IEMs (and headphones) ?

What is it made for ? If it helps in sound quality, Are there TRRS cable for the Denon AH-GC20 ?

Thanks in advance.

Eric

Jan 17, 2016 at 9:20 AM Post #162 of 179
I just got a pair of these. Yeah, they really do leak. It's not the padding on the ears, there are 2 vents at the top of each ear piece. One of them is oval with an acoustic mesh inside and next to it another smaller round hole. If you cover these up (a piece of electrical tape works, is invisible and removable) then the headphones no longer leak but of course there is a difference to the sound. Covering both up results in a complete loss of bass and sounds terrible. Covering just the larger, oval hole up initially sounded fine to me and reduces the leaking enormously. Then I tried the noise cancelling and all okay, then I tried music with the noise cancelling and the result was strange... the mid range sounds weird. I don't think I can sum it up any better, but I don't consider it listenable.

Anyway, I just thought I'd post what I'd noticed. It seems crazy to me to design an open headphone aimed at (presumably rude) travellers. Regardless, if anyone in the UK wants a pair of these I got mine from the Vodafone ebay store for £140, there are a few pairs left (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181984167259). I certainly don't regret buying them, in spite of the leakiness.

Feb 20, 2016 at 8:47 PM Post #163 of 179
Finally.

I am wearing the Denon Globe Cruiser AH-GC20 headphones right now, after a month of trying other bluetooth headphones. And finally, I have the right pair.

Before I get into the others - these are by far the most comfortable. I have a big head, and big ears. The earcups cover my ears, and the whole setup is incredibly comfortable. Hardly even know they're on my head.

Next - the sound. Finally - bass! Sweet, hard-hitting bass. Even the extra-low subwoofer hits. It's all here. I am a musician, and I track the path of the bass guitar sometimes. These headphones hang with it. No matter where the bass goes, the headphones are there. From thick and round, to slappin' low, these are the best for bass out of all the headphones I tried.

OK - so the contenders.

I began with a pair of Sony Bluetooth headphones - model MDRXB950BT/B. At $199, they're less expensive, and there's no ANC, but they said 'extra bass.' What they meant was - all bass, and no other tones. This thing is a subwoofer you wear on your head. All bass, all the time. Wow. Unusable for me, even as a guy who loves hard hitting bass. On the plus side? Really comfortable. Excellent comfort. And they worked flawlessly with everything I hit 'em with: Chromebook in Starbucks; Nexus 6 in Starbucks; and a Samsung 4K JS8500 at home...using it's Bluetooth headphone setting set to 'surround.' But with that bass tornado? Returned.

Next up? The JBL Elite 700 'Everest.' More expensive Bluetooth headphones, with ANC, which cost $299, but now on sale for $250. Great sound. Great balance between highs, mids and lows...and even had a very nice fat bass end. Loved 'em. They worked flawlessly with all my sources...even watched the 4K Ultra High-Definition Blu-Ray 'Kingsmen' with these - and they were phenomenal. Except - with my big head? The earcups wouldn't extend low enough to cover my ears! They were really small! The only way to get 'em low enough was to crush the top of my skull with the headband. Returned. Regrettably.

I thought I had the dream headphones with the Sennheiser Momentum 2 wireless....perfect size for my head (with room to spare). Really, really comfortable, with perhaps a bit too much compression on the sides of the head. But with time I believe that would relax. Great sound. True audiophile quality, even with Bluetooth. Used as a DAC - connected to my computer via USB - amazing sound. The bass was sufficient - not too much impact, but ok. Didn't give me any punch with extra low subwoofer hits, like the Denons do, but you knew those hits were there. So I thought I had the paid of my dreams. Watched a couple of hours of 'Game of Thrones' in surround....wonderful. The ANC was killer good. Beautiful sound. Until - I took my Chromebook and phone to Starbucks. Crazy! Horrible! Total Bluetooth interference! Like, rip the headphones off your head kind of noise. I was like - What? No other Bluetooth headphones had done that. I thought it was the chromebook...and switched to the Nexus 6...it was less severe, but still there. I was astonished. I kept staring at these beautiful headphones, and thought - really? Boxed 'em up. and got ready to return them.

So, the Denons. Again, the most comfortable of all. And the best-sounding.

One initial difference from the Senns...on the Denons, you can turn the ANC on and off. Off? Sound is not good. On? It sings. Wonderful. But I like the fact that you can turn it on and off. One other thing - the Denons have a touch of latency when watching TV. Not enough to be unbearable...but just an eyelash of 'a little bit off.' But the sound is warm and wonderful, and keeps my bass-loving self very happy. 

I have not done the Starbucks test tonight - but I will tomorrow. I'll update then. But overall, I am amazed at how wonderful the Denon Globe Cruisers sound - and also amazed at how much tortured Bluetooth interference I had with the Senns. Ouch!

UPDATE: 3 hours working at Starbucks this afternoon...wore the Denons all afternoon, and had zero problems. They are keepers. Love 'em.

Mar 28, 2016 at 8:58 AM Post #164 of 179

Firstly, let me put this review in context:  I wanted a set of Bluetooth AND active noise cancelling headphones for “general” use with my iPhone, eg when working at home, walking into town and back, when shopping at the supermarket etc, and for the occasional long bus/train journey or flight (maybe a few times a year).  The noise cancelling was more for the latter, but I didn’t want to shell out on 2 separate sets and preferred the convenience of one “do it all”, accepting there’d be some compromise.  They typically get used a couple of times a week on average.  I do not use them for commuting daily, or for sport, and I’m not interested in the phone call functionality (it’s a useful feature, but the quality wasn’t important to me).  I do appreciate a good quality sound; I am a musician but am no audiophile, and I must confess the mp3s I usually listen to (mostly of the rock/blues/pop variety) are only 128kbps.  These were my first headphones of this type, and were to replace my Bose in-ear phones that are about 8 years old now.  I should also say I’m a glasses wearer – of the Oakley design where the arms curve outwards from the head - which has seriously affected the fit/comfort of some headsets (particularly aviation headsets) in the past.

I “narrowed” it down to about 6 different sets, including Beats Studio Wiresless, Parrot Zik (2.0), Plantronics Backbeat Pro, Sony MDR-ZX770BN, Sennheiser Momentum Wireless 2, and these.  Bose were discounted as they don’t have a set that’s both wireless and NC.  Without the chance to try any of them out properly (I did try on but not hear the Sonys, and did listed to the Beats wired, and also tried the Bose QC25s for comparison) I was relying on online reviews before selecting the AH-GC20s; I struggled to find decent reviews of the Denon until I found this forum, so having bought them I thought I’d join and write my own comprehensive review to help others out.  I’ve also posted it on Amazon, where I bought them for £199.

This review has been written after about 3 months of ownership with use as described above, including one return bus & short-haul plane journey.

OVERALL DESIGN

They are a little bulky, but not overly so.  The cups fold inwards and rotate flat – they need to be folded flat to fit into the hard case.  The case does have a moulded interior to ensure they go in correctly, with space for the small pouch of accessories (cable, jack adaptor etc) to fit.  They only fold flat in one direction – cups upwards – which is the wrong way around if you want to put them flat around your neck.

When worn they do protrude a little from the side of the head – more so than say the Beats or Ziks – due to the way in which the arms connect to the cans, but not excessively.  The bright metal components do make the conspicuous, as does the large Denon logo on the side.  Controls are easily accessible on the side of the cans, though the ANC switch is a bit fiddly on the front and the “on” light faces forwards, so everyone can see it.

BUILD QUALITY

Out of the box these feel like a premium product, with plush ear pads/headband and “soft touch” finish to the cans.  The metal (I assume aluminium) sections are nicely – but not perfectly – finished.  There were a couple of minor blemishes on mine, but not worth the hassle of returning them and I’ll probably pick up worse in-use.  By comparison the switches/buttons on the side feel a little plastic-y, but don’t feel like they’re about to fall off.

COMFORT

I find them to be incredibly comfy.  They fit over my ears nicely, and even with glasses on I’ve been able to wear them for several hours at a time.  They fit firmly without ever being painful.  Of course, this will depend on the shape of your head…!

OPERATION/EASE OF USE

The buttons and switches are intuitive to use and easy to get to, once you’ve got the “muscle memory” of where to find them with our thumb. There are 2 separate switches to turn them on and off – one for Bluetooth and one for ANC – which is a bit of a pain and you have to remember to turn both off again when finished, but I guess that’s the price for having the ability to control them independently.  I think I’d have preferred a single switch and an automatic mechanism to detect Bluetooth vs wired, especially given the sound quality with ANC off means I can’t see why you would choose to listen in that mode unless the battery was dead anyway (more on that later).

These headphones don’t have the “auto-pause” feature of some (that pauses the music when you remove them), but if you get your grip right them you can tap the pause/play button with your thumb easily as you remove them.

Switching off the Bluetooth can be a little fiddly, by holding the play/pause button in for a few seconds, and the shutdown tone is a little quiet.  I’m being very picky here, but a straight on/off switch would be easier, and there’s plenty of room to put one on the left ear cup without over-cluttering the phones.

Note the play/pause/skip/volume controls only work over Bluetooth – they do not function with a wired connection.

SOUND QUALITY

I’d say the sound quality of these headphones (through Bluetooth with ANC on) is excellent, but not amazing or outstanding.  I wasn’t blown away by them at the first listen, considering they’re almost 4 times the cost of the Bose in-ears I had before.  Of course, the 128kbps quality of my mp3s might have something to do with it (and I no longer have any CDs in the house to do a direct comparison!).  I do find them a little bass-heavy.  I do like a strong bass and usually listen to music with a ‘Rock’ EQ setting (boosted bass & treble), however, these were a little too strong for me in some cases.  Turning off the EQ altogether on my phone worked a treat though, and just let the natural bass response of the headphones give that bass boost.  However, they are not muddy; the bass does not distort and the trebles/highs are still clear.  In summary, I guess they do have a premium sound to them, but you may need a bit of EQ tweaking to get it to your liking (apologies, I’m not totally familiar with the correct lingo to describe this in terms of “sound stage” etc etc!)

With ANC off the sound quality drops significantly. The bass and mids just seem to disappear and the whole experience is very hollow, to the point that it’s probably worse than my £10 JVC sports earphones.  On that basis, I would not be choosing to listen to them with ANC off unless the battery was dead (see more below on ANC performance).  Doing a direct comparison of Bluetooth vs wired was a bit trickier, partly due to the fact that the music has to be stopped for a few seconds during the switch.  However, I can’t say I notice any real difference between the two, which is good J

BLUETOOTH CONNECTIVITY

Once connected (and initial pairing is easy), the connection seems completely reliable with normal use.  I’ve got up to about 10m – in the house with a couple of brick walls in between – before it starts to break up a little, which I guess is about the standard range for Bluetooth.

I do have a couple of niggles though.  The first – a very, very minor one - when I first got them, when first hitting play there’s a very slight skip/hiccup at the start of the music (no more than about a half-second) – though it doesn’t seem to be happening any more, so either it’s settled down, there’s been a software update in my phone or I’ve just stopped noticing it!
I connected them to my desktop Mac just to try them out.  Worked fine, as you’d expect, however, whenever I turned on the phones in the house thereafter they’d automatically connect to the Mac upstairs, rather than the iPhone sat right next to them.  I just de-paired them from the Mac, which isn’t a problem from me, but could be annoying to anyone using them with more than one source on a regular basis.

The third quibble is about the sequence of connecting with my iPhone (6S). If I turn the Bluetooth on my phone first, then switch on the headphones and connect them, the controls seem to connect but not the sound – so pressing play will start the music, and the volume control works, but it plays through the phone speaker rather than the headphones!  Switching on the headphones first and then the phone Bluetooth seems to work OK, but would be a pain if you usually keep your phone Bluetooth on.  HOWEVER…having just tried it again now, it’s worked fine either way!!  I’ve just updated to iOS 9.3 in the past couple of days, so it may have been a phone software issue which has now been fixed, rather than a problem with the Denons (as per the little skip when first hitting play).

ACTIVE NOISE CANCELLING

Let’s be clear:  Bose QC25s these are not.  That said, the ANC is very good.  Around the house, on the bus and on the plane it kills all of the low-mid frequencies nicely.  Not quite so good on the higher frequencies.  I was sat working in a server room (don’t ask…) and the mid-high frequencies of the cooling fans still same through, as did the higher frequencies of the air con on the aircraft.  Overall though it does make a big difference and certainly makes those longer journeys less fatiguing.  The advantage of being able to switch the ANC independently of the Bluetooth I guess is you can just use them as a pair of active ear-muffs if you wanted, eg for sleeping.

Bear in my that these will not eliminate more “agile” sounds – eg you can still hear people talking through them, the TV in the background, the tapping of the keys on this keyboard… - all of these sounds are muffled, but not completely silenced.  This is no different to the class-leading Bose that I tried, but it’s the constant drones that get cancelled out by the ANC.

With ANC off, the cans seem to amplify every little sound (eg when moving your head about), so combined with the poorer sound quality described earlier, I would only really choose to wear these phones with ANC on. 

SOUND LEAKAGE

This was a concern for me (especially given my questionable music tastes) as a few reviewers had quoted that they leak like a sieve.  Unfortunately, they do leak quite a bit, though I can’t be sure how this compares to other phones.  At mid-volumes in a “normal” environment with a bit of background noise (ie around the house, on the street, around the shops) then I guess they’re absolutely fine and you shouldn’t get too many funny looks from passers-by.  However, you won’t want to be sat in a library with these on, as the people next to you will likely start complaining.

BLUETOOTH CALL QUALITY

This isn’t an issue for me as this wasn’t why I bought them, but I did try it out briefly and can confirm that the quality is not great!  Good enough for taking the odd call while you’ve got them on, but that’s about it.

BATTERY LIFE

Excellent!  I’ve had these since January; it’s now almost April and I’ve only topped them up once (from 70%, just before my long journey) since the original charge, and its still showing 70% now.  The battery level is displayed in the notifications area of the phone, but does only seem to deplete in 10% increments.  Can’t give an accurate number of hours use per charge, as I haven’t got there yet and have lost count…

DENON iPHONE APP

I downloaded (and paid for) the app to go with them, on the reviews that the EQ system was very good.  It is, but I don’t find the app the easiest to use: I can’t find the shuffle function (even though the FAQ section says it’s there!), and it doesn’t play music purchased from iTunes (apparently the latter is an Apple limitation).  So I’ve gone back to using the iPhone native music player.

WOULD I BUY AGAIN???

Hmmm….the million dollar question! Overall, if these were the only wireless ANC headphones available in this price bracket would I still shell out £199 to buy them – yes, absolutely.  I haven’t summarised the Denons in terms of “pros & cons” as some of the characteristics will be a pro to one and a con to another, depending on how you want to use them, but they do what I need them to do and the quality is very good, with only a couple of very minor niggles that I can live with.

The difficulty here is not having tried all of others, so I have to consider the reasons why I rejected those others from my shortlist in the first place, and how the Denons perform against these traits.  With that in mind, if I had my time again, I think I’d give the Beats Studio Wireless a bit more serious consideration.  I originally discounted them due to the bass-heavy response and the battery-dependency (ie can’t listen after battery dies) – as it turns out, the Denon are also quite bass-heavy and you wouldn’t really want to listen to them without ANC anyway!  20hrs wired should be ample for even most long-haul flights, with a bit of battery management.  Although they may have a more plastic-y look, I almost think this would be more practical for day-to-day use than the soft-touch Denon’s which I’m afraid of damaging (along with the smaller folding size).  However, not sure I’d pay £300+ RRP for the Beats – I only considered them as they were on offer at £199 at the time – so on value for money against the RRP price then the Denons probably still have the edge.

May 18, 2016 at 2:20 AM Post #165 of 179
I bought Denon AH-GC20 for its NC features and sound signature. Bluetooth was a nice addition, but not a requirement.

The problem is that even though these cans do work with a smart phone through bluetooth and/or cable, I cannot get them to work with my desktop USB DAC (Corda Cantate) with a cable. I have tried with the cable that came with the phones (and which work with the smart phone) but no sound comes out. Same thing with a third party audio cable. The USB DAC does work with other headphones.

Am I doing something wrong here?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back