Denon AH-D9200 - 2018 Flagship - Impressions Thread
Mar 17, 2021 at 6:56 AM Post #2,371 of 4,404
Now, like you, I'm in a fever to look for the best bass. The 9200s started that itch :relieved:, after tried some Beyers. In a few weeks, I will re-buy the DT 1990 Pro with an Amiron Wireless foam pads to increase the bass and decrease the highs. Then, I will save for the DAC/AMP I mentioned in "closed back thread". After that, I'm thinking to go deeply in the rabbit hole :deadhorse: (if I still can, after all those purchases) with Z1R, and maybe TH 900 (i'm very curious about the bass of them) and, of course, the new Rögnir.
Your post caught my eye. I currently have the AH-D9200's. "Currently have" sounds bad! No intention of selling them. Yet :wink: Anyway, I also wanted a pair of cheaper headphones for the office. Something which handles bass (particularly sub-bass) well and had less sound leakage than the 9200's. They also needed to be musical, engaging but not fatiguing. I settled on the DT-1770 Pro.

My current set up allows me to run both the 9200's and 1770's simultaneously. Comparing the two is somewhat easier. Setup is:
Tidal connect -> Pi3B running Moode Audio -> Allo Digione BNC O/P -> RME ADI-2 DAC FS -> AH-D9200
Allo Digione Coax O/P -> Chord Mojo -> DT-1770 Pro

It has been very interesting comparing the two. I appreciate due to the different DAC/Amps the comparison is not a direct one. But, I find it interesting nevertheless.

I personally did not enjoy the 9200's with the Mojo. I found the combination somewhat sibilant, plus the RME allows me to add EQ to the 9200's as I personally find they benefit from. I have two peaks at 30 Hz, both adding 1.5 dB but one with a tight peak (Q-factor) of 0.5, the other wider at 2. The 1770's I enjoy with the Mojo - nothing more to say.

Thankfully, considering the cost(!), I prefer the 9200 + RME combination most of the time. I find them very capable performers and revealing/accurate in a good way. Female vocalists like Kate Bush are particularly enjoyable to listen to. And well-recorded tracks, for example, Keith don't go by Nils Lofgren, sound superb. Also, EDM can be excellent, The mesmerizing Circle by Kellerkind is a fine example. That said, I often found the 9200's lacking in substance - not enough meat on the bones. This is irrespective of which DAC/Amp is used. And genres like Liquid DnB (for example, Buttons by Deadline) are for me not so enjoyable. I find the female vocals too thin and generally the music too bright and fatiguing.

As for the 1770's, I think the 9200's do a better job at detail retrieval and they provide a far better insight into the music. However, the 1770's have far more body, more weight, more meat on the bones. And this I often like. I also prefer them with Liquid DnB.

It's interesting. Listening to Buttons by Deadline, I prefer the weight the 1770's offer. But listening to The mesmerizing Circle by Kellerkind, I prefer the 9200's - the hang drums come across far more distinctly/clearer than with the 1770's.

On a bass related side note, I have a pair of FIIO FH5's. I find the fit not so comfortable, and the presentation of the music somewhat disjointed. But... the sub-bass extends deeper on these than either the 1770's or 9200's (with EQ). And I like sub-bass. A lot :L3000:

Okay - have wasted enough of your time. :triportsad:
Enjoy the music :beerchug:

Attachments

• IMG_9836.jpg
    IMG_9836.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
Mar 17, 2021 at 10:43 AM Post #2,372 of 4,404
Ok Denon AH-D9200 and Focal Clear (ex?) owners or users who have also tested the Clears extensively....
....please, if you can....which headphone has the fastest and most articulate bass?

If you'd like to elaborate on the differences between the two....that would be great too thanks :smiley:

Mar 17, 2021 at 11:12 AM Post #2,373 of 4,404
Ok Denon AH-D9200 and Focal Clear (ex?) owners or users who have also tested the Clears extensively....
....please, if you can....which headphone has the fastest and most articulate bass?

If you'd like to elaborate on the differences between the two....that would be great too thanks :smiley:
Seems I might fit in your questioned target audience: sold my Clear so time ago, but still have and praise the Denon AH-9200 ... the Clear is a fantastic headphone, but the Denon AH-9200 even more:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: I would say the quality of having a fast and articulate bass would go to the Denon AH-9200 in comparison (but its no "bass monster" after all). The Denon has also a more detailed, balanced and engaging sound, but it is not a day-and-night difference to the Clear. I only sold the Clear because on some tracks he was bit "shouty" at certain volume levels.

Mar 17, 2021 at 1:24 PM Post #2,374 of 4,404

Denons by far! Had mine a week and already sold my Clears! Denons are better in every way imo and you lose that fatiguing metallic timbre

Mar 17, 2021 at 1:25 PM Post #2,375 of 4,404
Seems I might fit in your questioned target audience: sold my Clear so time ago, but still have and praise the Denon AH-9200 ... the Clear is a fantastic headphone, but the Denon AH-9200 even more:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: I would say the quality of having a fast and articulate bass would go to the Denon AH-9200 in comparison (but its no "bass monster" after all). The Denon has also a more detailed, balanced and engaging sound, but it is not a day-and-night difference to the Clear. I only sold the Clear because on some tracks he was bit "shouty" at certain volume levels.
Same, disliked how shouty and fatiguing my Clear was so sold it, now have 9200 as my daily

Mar 21, 2021 at 11:24 AM Post #2,377 of 4,404
I watched for the 9200's to become available for months before I finally managed to get a pair. In case anyone is looking right now, they just showed up as in stock from Denon...https://www.denon.com/en-us/product/over-ear-headphones/ah-d9200.

After about three weeks, I'm still very pleased with my set. My only wish is for a bit more isolation. Other than that, they are keepers.

Mar 26, 2021 at 10:07 PM Post #2,378 of 4,404
D9200 with my headphone amp , the sound quality from the balanced (XLR or 4.4 ) , obviously better than single end

could you friends please share which XLR or 4.4 cable you are using ? if with ebay link i will be grateful , thanks a lot

Mar 27, 2021 at 8:14 AM Post #2,379 of 4,404
I found the clear to be a bit less relaxed in it's highs, maybe a little bit "tinny" even but as an open headphone quite nice. Especially the cables.

The Clear MG is said to have less of this problem.

The 9200's are way more engaging though.. I have ordered a balanced cable from Audioverse here in Germany, should be here next week.

The Forza Audioworks (Noir Hybrid HPC) is a very good cable too I have heard..

But even on the 3.5 single they are an absolute dream. For me pretty much endgame for closed back, now looking for open backed..

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2021 at 9:03 AM Post #2,380 of 4,404
D9200 with my headphone amp , the sound quality from the balanced (XLR or 4.4 ) , obviously better than single end

could you friends please share which XLR or 4.4 cable you are using ? if with ebay link i will be grateful , thanks a lot
I just use the Beyerdynamic balanced cable for the T1. They're nice enough quality and have moulded connectors unlike a lot of the boutique cables which look a bit home made to me.
Just curious which amp you use.

Mar 27, 2021 at 7:44 PM Post #2,385 of 4,404
A somewhat related and at the same unrelated question...

Ignoring physical limitations... is there an IEM that matches (or exceeds) the Denon 9200, in terms of overall quality, tonality and impact of sub bass?

In other words:

Denon 9200 owners - what’s your IEM of choice that doesn’t make you feel like you are “downgrading”? 😎

Users who are viewing this thread

Back