Denon AH-D9200 - 2018 Flagship - Impressions Thread
Feb 15, 2021 at 2:49 PM Post #2,267 of 4,401
I'm still very impressed with the 9200s. The layering of the headphones is almost perfect (you can separate perfectly all the instruments, and is very noticiable with the drums) and the way they show the bass in most of my albums is perfect.

There are a few exceptions. For example, I can't stand to listen to "Tristania", "The sins of the beloved" (wich I loved both with the Beyer 1990 Pro) or "Epica" and most "After forever" albums. I found those metal albums to be "shouty" at vocals. I don't know if maybe is due to my DAC-AMP (Asus Xonar Essence One) or because the production of those albums in studio was so poorly.

Although I prefer some albums with my Sony Z7 or HD 800 (I listen to different genres: vocal, jazz, pop, rock, OSTs, neoclassical, dark ambient, symphonic rock, metal), I find that most of albums in all the genres I listen sound phenomenal with the Denons.

Right now is turn to the Sony Z7, listening to "Crematory - Awake", spectacular...

Feb 16, 2021 at 1:45 AM Post #2,268 of 4,401
I'm still very impressed with the 9200s. The layering of the headphones is almost perfect (you can separate perfectly all the instruments, and is very noticiable with the drums) and the way they show the bass in most of my albums is perfect.

There are a few exceptions. For example, I can't stand to listen to "Tristania", "The sins of the beloved" (wich I loved both with the Beyer 1990 Pro) or "Epica" and most "After forever" albums. I found those metal albums to be "shouty" at vocals. I don't know if maybe is due to my DAC-AMP (Asus Xonar Essence One) or because the production of those albums in studio was so poorly.

Although I prefer some albums with my Sony Z7 or HD 800 (I listen to different genres: vocal, jazz, pop, rock, OSTs, neoclassical, dark ambient, symphonic rock, metal), I find that most of albums in all the genres I listen sound phenomenal with the Denons.

Right now is turn to the Sony Z7, listening to "Crematory - Awake", spectacular...
Now that I think about it, you actually have 3 great headphones that complement each other well - the AH-D9200, the HD 800, and the MDR-Z7. These cans have varying signatures and timbral differences. The most balanced of the lot is the Denon, IMO, but the other 2 headphones have their individual strengths, too. As a whole, you certainly have your bases covered. :)

Feb 16, 2021 at 7:13 AM Post #2,269 of 4,401
Hey guys. I’m still eagerly awaiting my 9200.

Just a bit worried about the ear pad size. I have medium sized ears I would say - do you think I would have any issues with the shallow ear pads? I’m only asking because I have the Sony XM4s and my ears hurt after a couple of hours of use. This could be due to the clamp force, earpads, or both I guess.

I also have a small head so hoping the head hotspot is not an issue.

Feb 16, 2021 at 7:58 AM Post #2,270 of 4,401

Just a bit worried about the ear pad size. I have medium sized ears I would say - do you think I would have any issues with the shallow ear pads? I’m only asking because I have the Sony XM4s and my ears hurt after a couple of hours of use. This could be due to the clamp force, earpads, or both I guess.

This was my first thought too, but the pads of the D9200 are quite comfortable.

My ear size is > 7cm from top to bottom and i've no complains so far. :)

Feb 16, 2021 at 8:40 AM Post #2,272 of 4,401
Haha.
Just do it.
No competition intended. :smile: :ksc75smile:

Feb 16, 2021 at 7:29 PM Post #2,274 of 4,401

I can tell you my experience... I had comfort issues with the Beyer T 1.3 that I posted about here, in it's thread. When I ordered the Denons, I was worried because of the people that had problems with the 9200s headband. Even, I asked to Malevolent and bythebookiii to measure their heads to compare with mine. I'm so crazy....

When I received them, I put at 6 position, but the same day I had to put at 7 because of a slightly annoyance in the center of my head. At 7 they fit me perfect and I found very comfortable. The pads have the perfect size for my ears to don't touch, even slightly, them.

The T1 pads (I think in all generations) are smaller than the Amiron or 1990 Pro pads, from which I had no problemas at all.

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2021 at 9:01 PM Post #2,276 of 4,401

I have the WH-1000XM4 myself, and while I think that it is a generally comfortable headphone, I actually prefer the AH-D9200 in the comfort stakes, thanks to 2 key factors - a slightly looser grip, and larger, plusher pads. Listening to both for at least 1-2 hours, I find my ears getting a little sore when I'm using the WH-1000XM4; conversely, the Denon presents no major usability issues.

Feb 17, 2021 at 3:47 AM Post #2,277 of 4,401
His ranking is all over the place. He put the HD820 on the bottom. Omg... this is utterly. Reviewers should be regulated and doctors should check those ears before and after every review. I am sure the frequency range of those ears should be so much narrower than the 20hz - 20khz. it could also be that those ears are already V shape to begin with.
Not liking hd820 isn't exactly controversial.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2021 at 8:48 AM Post #2,278 of 4,401
I took the plunge and ordered a pre-owned Questyle CMA400i that I came across for €500 including shipping... Should arrive on Friday, just in time for the weekend. Worst case scenario is that when it won't match, the Questyle will end up in the classifieds again 😎

Feb 17, 2021 at 5:32 PM Post #2,280 of 4,401
Much better on lcd-4 imo. Lcd-4 pads provide better seal and the slam is greater and with more clarity.

At almost 3x the price.... 🤔

Users who are viewing this thread

Back