Denon AH-D9200 - 2018 Flagship - Impressions Thread
Sep 14, 2020 at 4:44 AM Post #1,381 of 4,414
Honestly after tried may closed back headphone i found my favourite;this 9200 sound simply sublime.
During my listening session i can appreciate all the details in harmony with a natural tone.
I fix the soundstage issue (IMHO too compact and not too accurate) changing the stock earpads....now Simply they're need a good dac...but absolutely these 9200 aren't behind at all against other TOTL closed back (i need to listen the z1r and the zmf closed back)
Good work denon 👍

Sep 14, 2020 at 11:56 AM Post #1,382 of 4,414
Honestly after tried may closed back headphone i found my favourite;this 9200 sound simply sublime.
During my listening session i can appreciate all the details in harmony with a natural tone.
I fix the soundstage issue (IMHO too compact and not too accurate) changing the stock earpads....now Simply they're need a good dac...but absolutely these 9200 aren't behind at all against other TOTL closed back (i need to listen the z1r and the zmf closed back)
Good work denon 👍
To my ears, the AH-D9200 bests the MDR-Z1R in balance, resolution, and treble detail, with equally good low-end texture, albeit in a less prominent fashion. The Sony isn't the most technical headphone, although it is no slouch in that department. However, the MDR-Z1R's forte lies in the amount of quality bass that it reproduces; plus, that sublime, lush and liquid midrange is quite extraordinary.

They are 2 brilliant headphones, and I'm happy to have both in my collection.

By the way, what pads are you presently using with the AH-D9200?

Sep 14, 2020 at 1:05 PM Post #1,383 of 4,414
To my ears, the AH-D9200 bests the MDR-Z1R in balance, resolution, and treble detail, with equally good low-end texture, albeit in a less prominent fashion. The Sony isn't the most technical headphone, although it is no slouch in that department. However, the MDR-Z1R's forte lies in the amount of quality bass that it reproduces; plus, that sublime, lush and liquid midrange is quite extraordinary.

They are 2 brilliant headphones, and I'm happy to have both in my collection.

By the way, what pads are you presently using with the AH-D9200?
Ah wow!i'm so curios ti try this z1r...but find One in my place ti hear Is nearly impossible.
I'm using stax 009 earpads,and modded them following @zolkis instruction 👍

Sep 15, 2020 at 9:21 PM Post #1,385 of 4,414
What exactly are modded sr009 pads? Can anyone point me to a diy on how to mod them and how to attach them to the d9200?

Sep 16, 2020 at 5:04 AM Post #1,386 of 4,414
I'm part of the D9200 family as well for a little more than a month now ! Got the curiosity to try it, and sold my Stellia directly after... I mean WOW, you have to be deaf or be of bad faith to not realize how better it sounds. Tried the Sony Z1R as well, but Denon is way above in term of resolution. Funny how internet doesn't clearly show tones of reviews on this headphone... Conclusion, trust your ears guys !

Sep 16, 2020 at 5:16 AM Post #1,387 of 4,414
I mostly will be getting the D9200 after being recommended by a head-fi member here. After selling all my hps and desktop gear, im trying to build a portable set up first. Luna i have for iem, and this im planning to be my hp counterpart! Will be pairing it with Hiby R8 for now.
Does the D9200 do well with jazz/indie/acoustic based songs?

Sep 16, 2020 at 5:20 AM Post #1,388 of 4,414
What exactly are modded sr009 pads? Can anyone point me to a diy on how to mod them and how to attach them to the d9200?
Inside the 009 earpads you have two layers,One layer Is the foam,while the other Is a White ring,with a knife you cut and remove gently the white ring,work done 👍

Sep 16, 2020 at 5:23 AM Post #1,389 of 4,414
I'm part of the D9200 family as well for a little more than a month now ! Got the curiosity to try it, and sold my Stellia directly after... I mean WOW, you have to be deaf or be of bad faith to not realize how better it sounds. Tried the Sony Z1R as well, but Denon is way above in term of resolution. Funny how internet doesn't clearly show tones of reviews on this headphone... Conclusion, trust your ears guys !
Same thing,sold my stellia and bought this denon 😍

Sep 16, 2020 at 7:33 AM Post #1,391 of 4,414
I mostly will be getting the D9200 after being recommended by a head-fi member here. After selling all my hps and desktop gear, im trying to build a portable set up first. Luna i have for iem, and this im planning to be my hp counterpart! Will be pairing it with Hiby R8 for now.
Does the D9200 do well with jazz/indie/acoustic based songs?
I agree. I have tried (almost) every top-end closed-back headphone on the market, and I own quite a few myself. The AH-D9200 stands at the top of the pile, IMO, along with the Vérité Closed and the ATH-AWKT. The MDR-Z1R is a top contender, too, and subjectively, one of my favorites; however, it's not everybody's cup of tea, and it tends to polarize opinions rather strongly. With that said, the Denon flagship is a masterpiece, with one of the best-textured bass presentations amongst headphones in the contemporary market.

It's funny how it often flies under the radar, when "the best of the best" discussions rear their inevitable heads around Head-Fi (and other similar fora).

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2020 at 12:40 PM Post #1,393 of 4,414
Inside the 009 earpads you have two layers,One layer Is the foam,while the other Is a White ring,with a knife you cut and remove gently the white ring,work done 👍

Oh that doesn't sound too difficult. Did you do it for your d9200? Did it really make a big difference?

Sep 16, 2020 at 12:52 PM Post #1,395 of 4,414
Oh that doesn't sound too difficult. Did you do it for your d9200? Did it really make a big difference?
oh,for my ears is an other headphone,the sound change drastically.
1)soundstage become much wider ad taller
2) sound more analogue against the stock pads.
3) remove all the sharpness and sibilance in treble area fixing IMHO all 9200 defect
4) more detail revealing (IMHO)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back