Denon AH-D7000 vs Ultrasone Edition 9
Dec 2, 2008 at 10:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

struts

100+ Head-Fier
Hi there head-fiers,

Hoping someone can help me with a comparison of the new Denon cans that Tyl Hersens is raving about with the Ultrasone Ed 9s. All my current cans are open designs but in my pursuit of sonic nirvana I am looking to see what sealed has to offer and these two seem to be among the main contendahs. Currently have a Grace m902 but I am lusting hard after a balanced Rudistor so when funds allow...

I am sure lots of good folks have opinions to offer but I would be especially interested to hear from people who have heard both, and preferably lived with them for a bit. Would love to hear how their characters compare, your views of their relative strengths and weaknesses and any other observations such as particularly good/bad amp matches.

Many thanks for your time!

Dec 3, 2008 at 1:00 AM Post #5 of 22
They are 2 very different style of headphone both are great but I think that the choice will depend more on your music taste.

Dec 3, 2008 at 3:43 AM Post #7 of 22
If speedy bass is paramount, then the Ed9's will win out. If large soundstage is more important, then choose Denons.

I have the D7000's, but have only auditioned the Ed9's. I do have the 780's though. The bass is faster than the Denon's and they are great, enjoyable headphones (and much less expensive). But, asided from the speed of the bass, D7000 is vastly superior in every other category (based on my tastes!). In my humble opinion, the D7000 offers a lower end that is different but as equally enjoyable as the L3000's that I owned for a while. I would love if it were just a bit faster and tighter, but it is fast enough and tight enough to be perfectly satisfactory and then is just incredible in so many other areas.

I definitely share the enthusiasm that is expressed in the Headroom description. A 'grand' pair of headphones indeed.

Have you considered getting a 780 and a D2000 to sample first? You can still sell them later and upgrade to a higher model.

Also, I would probably not ever choose one of the Ultrasones as my main can due to fit issues. I find the clamping to be too uncomfortable for any lengthy listening period.

Dec 3, 2008 at 9:34 AM Post #8 of 22
Very interesting Gu, thanks. I also saw your mini-review in another thread which was very illuminating. Much appreciated.

You make a good point and as I do more background reading I am considering trying the D2000s with some or all of the Lawton mods. I like his philosophy, makes sense to me.

Couple of questions. I see you have a number of different amps, does any of them work particularly well with the Denons? Finally, did you get to audition the Ed9s in your own system? With the Leben? I read a report that it doesn't get on with some tube amps at all with the bass becoming uncontrolled and boomy. Can you comment?

Yoroshiku!

Dec 3, 2008 at 5:00 PM Post #10 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gu Sensei /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would love if it were just a bit faster and tighter, but it is fast enough and tight enough to be perfectly satisfactory and then is just incredible in so many other areas.

I believe markl has corrected the limitation you speak of.

Dec 4, 2008 at 1:21 PM Post #11 of 22
I much prefer to use the Leben with my Denons. They still sound great with the other amps, just a bit neutral for my tastes. The Leben adds color and a little sparkle; they are a lot more fun to listen to. But it is easily a matter of taste, I am sure. It is a really cool integrated amp- lots of inputs, bass booster, tape loop, retro look with swod sidepanels. It sounds great with my Denon bookshelf speakers too. I imagine there are plenty of other amps out there that add color like that if this all fits your tastes as well.

My Ed9 was under so-so conditions, I was not able to take them home but I did use them on an HA-5000 which is a familiar amp. Still, it was brief. I have managed to spend a bit more time with the 780s and grew a new appreciation for them. The presentation as whole is quite nice and very fun. I dig them and started to think about the Ed9s. Yikes! They might pair well with the D7000s.

I am curious about how the mods would affect the D7000 sound. I am extremely happy with the stock sound and feel like any alteration might make one part more agreeable but negatively affect other parts that I really like. I will probably wait a while and get to know the signature very well first and then stuff the cups or something minimal and see if I like the change. If not, I will retreat. But if I do, I might send them off for the full treatment. A warranty is also a nice feature of unmodded new headphones.

Dec 4, 2008 at 3:47 PM Post #12 of 22
The D7000 are "on the ear" right? I prefer around the ear.
My question- are they tight? And how heavy?

I had a pair of HD600's which were light with nice soft pads.
But I found the HD600 to be too bright and clean for my taste.
I prefer the Ultrasone sound but,
The ED9's are tight, heavy and the leather pads are not that soft- after an hour- my head hurts.

Dec 4, 2008 at 6:11 PM Post #13 of 22
No. The D7000 as the D5000 and D2000 are "around the ear" kind of headphones.
I am still waiting for my D7000 to arrive but I am almost positive they are just like my D5000. Very light, no presure in your ears and very comfortable. The kind of you forget you are wearing them.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Dec 4, 2008 at 9:05 PM Post #15 of 22
Musicman59- The D7000s have more clamping pressure than the D5000's but it is not overly tight. I have tried some store demo D5000s that have become extremely loose. I think D7000s will loosen up a bit more too but still stay comfortably on the head.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back