Denon AH-D5200 (little brother of the AH-D7200)
Dec 30, 2020 at 12:49 AM Post #438 of 815
This looks really nice, which stand is this? But yes I also prefer type that has skinny middle stick so it doesn't stretch the headphone or push onto earpad.
I ordered from taobao, too bad they are in Chinese characters, there are many similar kind headphone stand in online shopping apps, I believe you can search around.

Ya, middle metal stand is good, some even can hang two headphones, but you need to check the measurement size .

Dec 30, 2020 at 12:53 AM Post #439 of 815
Jan 3, 2021 at 12:01 AM Post #440 of 815
Awhile back, everyone was saying that the headband has a hotspot and I thought y'all were crazy.

Welp. I recently cut my hair super short and now I have that hotspot... It seriously hurts the top of my head and I get a headache. Time to find some sort of headband padding...

Jan 3, 2021 at 12:38 AM Post #441 of 815
Awhile back, everyone was saying that the headband has a hotspot and I thought y'all were crazy.

Welp. I recently cut my hair super short and now I have that hotspot... It seriously hurts the top of my head and I get a headache. Time to find some sort of headband padding...
get a headphone band zipper , it may help to relief the hotspot

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2021 at 1:55 AM Post #443 of 815
I'm actually looking into this: https://ebay.us/ZQCSsY

I know it's for the Heddphone, but I'm trying to contact the seller to find out if it'll somehow fit the 5200, given there's 2 screw holes on each side... Not sure how great it would look though...
Or you may check out this headphone zipper less than USD3 as below link , though it's for Kraken V2, it looks similar fit for D5200. Mine was ordered from Taobao but it's in Chinese text, you can refer my photo few posts above.

[For Kraken V2 & PRO Headband Cover, Replacement Head Band Protector with Zipper for Razer Kraken V2 & V2 Pro Headphones ONLY
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mt1NNvj

Jan 3, 2021 at 2:16 AM Post #444 of 815
I ordered some Dekoni Nuggets from Drop to address that hotspot, so they should be here by 2022. Not sure if I should put one nugget on the hotspot or two on either side but will report back when they arrive.

Jan 4, 2021 at 1:35 PM Post #446 of 815
I happened to have both on hand a while ago (borrowed from a friend), from a memory D5200 is more U-shaped sounding, bassier, somewhat brighter in the treble. Senns are much more midrange oriented and flatter overall. Senn sounded more natural to me where as Denons had something artificial on them. Difference in staging isn't huge despite Senn being open back. But they are quite different headphones entirely and I think it might be more about personal preference rather than which one is actually "better".

I just received my AH-D5200. A quick listen later my impression is that this is a very different beast from the HD650. More bass, somewhat recessed vocals, narrower stage. Just beautifully built.

Let's see how this develops. I just ordered a balanced cable from Meze, they run a 50% off promo on them - interesting to see if things changes in some way.

EDITED to add - these are very good cans, don't get me wrong. It's just they sound different than my baseline HD650s after half an hour initial listen.
Having said that, I'm glad I didn't go for the D7200, which all reports describe as bassier than he D5200.

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2021 at 1:52 PM Post #447 of 815
My experience with the AH-D5200 is a bit different. For a closed back headphone, the soundstage is quite wide, open, and spacious. Instruments and vocals are well separated having their own space. Imaging is very solid and defined. It has a neutral tone to my ears and gear. Treble, mids, and bass are well balanced, not one area is overly done or under done. Comparing the D5200 to my Sundara (open back) and AQ Nighthawk (semi open), to my ears the D5200 appears to have a larger soundstage. I have used the D5200 with Marantz HD-DAC1 dac/amp and sometimes with the Vali2. But as always, YMMV.

Jan 4, 2021 at 4:01 PM Post #448 of 815
The D5200 is definitely very bassy to me. It is borderline too much at times. Though the quality is great. The recessed vocals throw me off since I have listened to more forward presentation type of headphones. The soundstage has been a plus to me. I expected it to be much smaller since they are closed but they are pleasantly large. I also like that the sound isn't dark but I do find myself missing the airy sound of my open backs. These cans have been superb for movies and have me trying to find any movie, show, or game that has great sound design. Playing Doom Eternal on these bad boys is... quite the experience.

Jan 5, 2021 at 3:13 AM Post #449 of 815
Further exploring the D5200 - they open up very nicely when driven from a Fiio Q1mkii even at lower volumes.

Even on a bass heavy vocal piece like Adele's Rolling in the Deep, her voice is nicely in the front, not recessed.

On Dave Brubeck's Take Five the separation is wonderful, the drums and bass is just a bit more present than on the HD650, but Dave's piano and Paul's sax is right there with them.

On Billy Cobham's Quadrant 4 it sounds as if you yourself were at the drum kit.

Carmina Burana is o so good. The choir and the orchestra both come through strong, wide (sometimes one or the other sounds recessed - not now)

The Clash's London Calling hits hard, with medium soundstage.

Rebecca Pidgeon's Spanish Harlem is just beautiful.

Atom Heart Mother by the Pink Floyd is a very immersive experience.

On ELP's Pictures at an Exhibition Greg Lake's bass comes through a bit more strongly but with young Keith's and Carl's crazy wild playing it's a good thing.

I'll start listening to "Open your Ears" aka "The ultimate test disc for headphones" - started with the percussion imaging test. It gives a somewhat tighter soundstage than the HD650 but I'm very impressed.

So after less than 24 hours the D5200 sounds like a keeper.

Jan 5, 2021 at 5:05 AM Post #450 of 815
Ya, I like D5.2K's smooth and fun sound. It's easy to drive and efficient.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back