Denon AH-D5200 (little brother of the AH-D7200)
Nov 19, 2020 at 4:52 PM Post #242 of 815
It's been some time now, how do you find you like or dislike about D5200 over D2000/D5000?

It's a little difficult comparison to me. I can admit that D5200 is improved over them in some ways but doesn't necessarily sound that much better. Maybe it's just nostalgia but I think I like the tonality of lets say D2000 more than D5200's. I remember calling D5000 "artificial" on my previous impressions but I think it's other way round, there is something a bit odd feeling in the tone of midrange that I don't get with D2000 or D5000. It's something that I would expect to hear in some consumer headphones but not in a headphone in this class lol. I'm not sure are "nasal" or "honky" right terms to describe it. timbre feels better on D2000- and D5000 nonetheless. Older ones just have a certain charm on them, yes, bass is a bit bloated and treble can get sometimes strident (mainly on higher volumes) but still I find their musicality hard to match. I guess it's what people mean with "fun" signature, maybe not the most refined, balanced or accurate etc. presentation but it's "fun" and enjoyable to listen to which probably should be the main point in a good headphone. :stuck_out_tongue:

In other words, no, I wouldn't personally replace D2000- or D5000 with D5200. For people who are starting from an empty table they might be a great choice in their respective price range but I would like to have something that is closer to older Denon-sound. Perhaps TH-610 will give me that.

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2020 at 12:14 AM Post #243 of 815
I am not a bass head and not treble sensitive listener.

Similar to my HD650, it is a neutral open-back headphone, now will get a closed-back and wooden headphone. LOL.

I have ordered plenty products like HD650, from trusted Taobao sellers , really need to survey and study reviews background of the sellers. No problem with shipment, in fact their domestic shipping is very fast within 3-5 days to reach port or airport, the only delay is our local shipment. 😄.

Thanks again for the comparison D5200 vs D7200. I think the older Denon headphones are masterpieces, please enjoy those classic headphones
lol coming from HD650 I'd thought you'd lean towards D7200 since both are a bit polite on the treble no? Though you said you're not treble sensitive so I guess D5200 would be ok too.

But good to know you've had good experience buying from Taobao. :relaxed:
I had D5000 and replaced them with Sennheiser HD600 long time ago. D5000 in short had overly bloated bass and often peaky treble.
Meanwhile I read about D5200 improvements online and I got them recently. Surprisingly I can't seem to find any decent reviews online for them. It's weird because they are a massive improvement over D5000 (from memory). Especially with tight bass and detailed but not overly bright treble. Midrange resolution is probably as good as before.
5200 are still sounding very open with great soundstage for a closed back headphone and they have been refined significantly compared to D5000.
They are way better than HD600, and I'm probably going to sell them as D5200 are practically perfect headphones. They reproduce entire frequency range very, very good.

HD600 had good midrange but lacked bass, my Beyerdynamic DT880 (250ohm) have also great midrange, treble and soundstage but also lack bass somewhat.
Denons have everything with better resolution across and don't necessarily require good amp as the others.
Oddly enough I keep hearing D5000 is bloated and a bass canon but am I the only who didn't hear that? I find D5000 even though is more mid bassy than sub bass, but as a whole I still find D2000 had more bass even though D2000 is more sub bass emphasize than mid bass emphasis.

I just find D5000 very natural sounding and if anything a bit recessed in treble and bass in comparison to D2000.

Maybe I've just listened to D2000 for too long so I might be a bit skewed lol.
5200 are lovely phones, I had them for two months before I returned them with full refund and replaced them with 7200 as I could get 7200 for USD 60 more than I paid for 5200. I prefer 7200s, which are certainly worth USD 100 more, but not USD 200 more.
Did you find the resolution difference noticeable? Or the tonal difference is probably still the bigger deciding point?
It's a little difficult comparison to me. I can admit that D5200 is improved over them in some ways but doesn't necessarily sound that much better. Maybe it's just nostalgia but I think I like the tonality of lets say D2000 more than D5200's. I remember calling D5000 "artificial" on my previous impressions but I think it's other way round, there is something a bit odd feeling in the tone of midrange that I don't get with D2000 or D5000. It's something that I would expect to hear in some consumer headphones but not in a headphone in this class lol. I'm not sure are "nasal" or "honky" right terms to describe it. timbre feels better on D2000- and D5000 nonetheless. Older ones just have a certain charm on them, yes, bass is a bit bloated and treble can get sometimes strident (mainly on higher volumes) but still I find their musicality hard to match. I guess it's what people mean with "fun" signature, maybe not the most refined, balanced or accurate etc. presentation but it's "fun" and enjoyable to listen to which probably should be the main point in a good headphone. :stuck_out_tongue:

In other words, no, I wouldn't personally replace D2000- or D5000 with D5200. For people who are starting from an empty table they might be a great choice in their respective price range but I would like to have something that is closer to older Denon-sound. Perhaps TH-610 will give me that.
LOL I honestly have to say you confirmed exactly what I suspect might happen to me. Like you said maybe it's nostalgia or something so it's like I'm expecting things to sound a certain way by now. D2000 just had a charm to it that I can't explain despite might not sounding most natural or refined. But there's something about the upfront vocal, widest sound stage, precise imaging, and deepest sub bass out of any of the Denon / Fostex variants I tried (E-Mu Teak, TH-X00 Mahogany, Ebony, and D5000). Although timber / how clean the sound is D2000 is probably the worst LOL.

And I'm almost certain if I pick up another pair today it most likely won't sound the same to my current pair either. I think I modded then un-modded my pair and also the ear pad is broken as hell and I've been listening to my current pair for probably over 5 years now. Maybe a little bit of each contribute to how it sounds.

Still really interested in hearing the rest of the headphones in person though (TH610, TH900, D5200, D7200, and D9200), then I can complete my Denon/Fostex spectrum LOL.

Nov 25, 2020 at 5:11 PM Post #244 of 815
https://www.denon.com/en-us/product/over-ear-headphones/ah-d5200 $210 on Denon's USA site right now, seems like an insanely good deal
1606342255794.png

Nov 25, 2020 at 8:01 PM Post #245 of 815
https://www.denon.com/en-us/product/over-ear-headphones/ah-d5200 $210 on Denon's USA site right now, seems like an insanely good deal

Just saw this on reddit... and bought it without even thinking...(I know what they normal run for and this is an EXTREMELY HUGE discount... hopefully not a mistake...) LOL

I know it won't have the massive low end of my TH-X00 Purplehearts, but it should basically be a closed back equivalent of the Fidelio X3s (maybe slightly more refined) which will make it more than different enough...

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2020 at 8:30 PM Post #246 of 815
Nov 25, 2020 at 8:47 PM Post #248 of 815
I ordered these about 30min ago. Checked email and now order status says “problem”. Out of stock? Anyone else seeing this?
No, not yet, and hope it's not the case. I'm so curious how close these are to the D9200. If the bass is the same, I'd be pretty satisfied. Build quality looks really good. With so many buyers from this sale, this thread is gonna get hyped!

Nov 25, 2020 at 8:48 PM Post #249 of 815
I ordered these about 30min ago. Checked email and now order status says “problem”. Out of stock? Anyone else seeing this?

I'm seeing that as well when I click on the 'status' under confirmation e-mail. Seriously hope that's not the case.

Nov 25, 2020 at 9:43 PM Post #252 of 815
'Problem' shown here as well... can only hope not a stock issue and price still honored. I can wait as long as needed...no rush on getting it.

Yeah I'm not in a big rush. Like you've said, just hope they honor the transaction.

Nov 25, 2020 at 10:11 PM Post #253 of 815
Wish that they have wood colour instead of black. Excellent price though.
I can't seem to check my order online? Webpage seems to crash.

Nov 26, 2020 at 12:08 AM Post #254 of 815
I've been in search of some closed backs and this deal was just too good to pass up so I placed an order. However, like others, I'm seeing the "status: problem" when I check my order details. Checked my bank statement and the charge is currently pending. Let's hope Denon doesn't run into stocking issues on these. Has anyone's order shipped since the sale went live?

EDIT: Denon's site is now showing "Out of Stock." Hopefully our orders are honored!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back