Denon AH-D5200 (little brother of the AH-D7200)
Sep 20, 2020 at 7:45 PM Post #211 of 815
Out of curiosity what does everyone use to drive their D5200? I'm running my D2000 (granted slightly different, but similar) off Dragonfly Red now but I keep hearing mixed things regarding amping the Denon headphones.

I run everything off Monolith THX 788, though I will once in a while use ES100/E1DA Powerdac.

Sep 20, 2020 at 8:18 PM Post #212 of 815
yeah got my 5200 from ebay NiB for $350 and my TH-610 used with a broken hinge for $74, which I repaired with 2 zipties. The 610 is just boring compared to the 5200 imo, and the 5200 EQ's much better. The only leg up the 610 has is comfort (stock pad material is great, headband is great and it stays on your head with minimal clamp force) and the wood cups are much more resilent. 610 is more neutral as well I suppose, but to me that just means boring.
I bought my Lawton 5000 on EBay around five years ago for $350. The guy that I bought them from had shortened the cable to 3 feet which drove me nuts until I fixed it. I did the 3.5mm jack mod on the cups so I could use custom detachable cables. I bought my 7200 on EBay for $600 shipped. I bought my 2000 new from B&H Photo years ago for $169 on sale.

Sep 20, 2020 at 9:58 PM Post #213 of 815
The 7200 is definitely an upgrade from the Lawton 5000, there's just a bit more of everything. I didn't care for the bass with the Elegia. It was there but not like what comes from the Denons. The Denons go way lower than the Elegia IMHO and the highs from the Denons have more sparkle. I took a lot of flak for saying this but that's my opinion and I'm staying with it.
I bought my Lawton 5000 on EBay around five years ago for $350. The guy that I bought them from had shortened the cable to 3 feet which drove me nuts until I fixed it. I did the 3.5mm jack mod on the cups so I could use custom detachable cables. I bought my 7200 on EBay for $600 shipped. I bought my 2000 new from B&H Photo years ago for $169 on sale.
lol congrats your leap of faith paid off haha. I remember you almost didn't want to buy it since the Lawton D5000 was so good already. Now I'm hoping D5200 is almost as good as D7200. I'm leaning on D5200 since I like sound signature better.

Man I've been researching for an upgrade for D2000 for soooooooooooo long I think this finally convinced me to pull the trigger and just go for it. There were too many choices in this segment so I kept getting sidetracked and couldn't make up my mind.

Really much appreciated on clearing up all those burning questions that I've had. :slight_smile:
yeah got my 5200 from ebay NiB for $350 and my TH-610 used with a broken hinge for $74, which I repaired with 2 zipties. The 610 is just boring compared to the 5200 imo, and the 5200 EQ's much better. The only leg up the 610 has is comfort (stock pad material is great, headband is great and it stays on your head with minimal clamp force) and the wood cups are much more resilent. 610 is more neutral as well I suppose, but to me that just means boring.
lol man based on you guys' comment I feel like to survive in this hobby is not about being able to afford everything, is being able to find everything cheap LOL. I really need to work on that.

Also thank you so much on the comment regarding D5200 vs TH610. I almost got swayed towards the TH610 previously but based from what you just said I'll most likely enjoying the D5200 more.

Again thanks everyone for helping me narrow down my ridiculously long list of potential options. :thumbsup:

Sep 20, 2020 at 10:49 PM Post #214 of 815
lol congrats your leap of faith paid off haha. I remember you almost didn't want to buy it since the Lawton D5000 was so good already. Now I'm hoping D5200 is almost as good as D7200. I'm leaning on D5200 since I like sound signature better.

Man I've been researching for an upgrade for D2000 for soooooooooooo long I think this finally convinced me to pull the trigger and just go for it. There were too many choices in this segment so I kept getting sidetracked and couldn't make up my mind.

Really much appreciated on clearing up all those burning questions that I've had. :slight_smile:

lol man based on you guys' comment I feel like to survive in this hobby is not about being able to afford everything, is being able to find everything cheap LOL. I really need to work on that.

Also thank you so much on the comment regarding D5200 vs TH610. I almost got swayed towards the TH610 previously but based from what you just said I'll most likely enjoying the D5200 more.

Again thanks everyone for helping me narrow down my ridiculously long list of potential options. :thumbsup:

TH610 lacks any bass impact, its almost like a planar. It does sound very clean elsewhere though, but I'm probably gonna end up selling mine as I only use it for TV and movies and mostly because its comfy. Honestly, gonna end up selling everything but my 5200 and HF 580, since I modded it so much I probably couldn't sell it if I wanted to and still enjoy it one of the most of my open backs. Just find something you're satisfied with and stop there is the best advice. A lot of people will continue to buy headphones long after they found their endgame, because they are addicted to the hobby and thats the biggest trap of every hobby. Happened to my with keyboards, realforce 87u was my second mech keyboard and I kept going. Still using my 87u now.

Oh and if you have any places near you that lets you demo headphones I'd probably suggest that.

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2020 at 10:55 PM Post #215 of 815

Yeah, at the time I bought my 5200, ebay was pretty heavily flooded with 7200s ending 400-500. Now with the rona, the demand for headphones, chairs(look at what happened with used herman miller aeron pricing) and other daily use office peripherals went up.

Sep 20, 2020 at 11:00 PM Post #216 of 815
TH610 lacks any bass impact, its almost like a planar. It does sound very clean elsewhere though, but I'm probably gonna end up selling mine as I only use it for TV and movies and mostly because its comfy. Honestly, gonna end up selling everything but my 5200 and HF 580, since I modded it so much I probably couldn't sell it if I wanted to and still enjoy it one of the most of my open backs. Just find something you're satisfied with and stop there is the best advice. A lot of people will continue to buy headphones long after they found their endgame, because they are addicted to the hobby and thats the biggest trap of every hobby. Happened to my with keyboards, realforce 87u was my second mech keyboard and I kept going. Still using my 87u now.

Oh and if you have any places near you that lets you demo headphones I'd probably suggest that.
lol yeah I'm hoping 5200 will be the last one. Still on the fence about Schiit Asgard but I'll figure that one out a bit later.

As for other hobbies I'm lucky I already found my end game for keyboard. I finally mod my Realforce R2 55g to how I like it after so many trial and error on silencing methods. I previously bought stock silence but turns out I didn't like the stock silence and I had to basically un-silence it (swap back to black slider) then silence it again (end up going with stacking 2 silence x even though I've bought Deskey rings). Mouse wise I'm happy with Roccat Kone Pure just waiting on wireless version to come out one day then I think I'm done.

Not sure what I'd do after since I currently only have these 3 hobbies (headphone, keyboard, and gaming mouse). But I also don't want to start something new that's more expensive than headphone lol.

Sep 20, 2020 at 11:21 PM Post #217 of 815
lol yeah I'm hoping 5200 will be the last one. Still on the fence about Schiit Asgard but I'll figure that one out a bit later.

As for other hobbies I'm lucky I already found my end game for keyboard. I finally mod my Realforce R2 55g to how I like it after so many trial and error on silencing methods. I previously bought stock silence but turns out I didn't like the stock silence and I had to basically un-silence it (swap back to black slider) then silence it again (end up going with stacking 2 silence x even though I've bought Deskey rings). Mouse wise I'm happy with Roccat Kone Pure just waiting on wireless version to come out one day then I think I'm done.

Not sure what I'd do after since I currently only have these 3 hobbies (headphone, keyboard, and gaming mouse). But I also don't want to start something new that's more expensive than headphone lol.

yea i actually have a 55g r2 as well just cause i got it at a good price. so much for taking my own advice huh. rather have a backup than have to go back to mx or pay full price though.

Sep 20, 2020 at 11:51 PM Post #218 of 815
yea i actually have a 55g r2 as well just cause i got it at a good price. so much for taking my own advice huh. rather have a backup than have to go back to mx or pay full price though.
lol it's definitely good to have backup. Like you said at this point I can't go back to mx anymore. Also good thing you got it at a good price I feel like I'm always paying things at full price sigh.....

Sep 21, 2020 at 1:33 AM Post #219 of 815
I agree. The 5200 is just very enjoyable and is now my daily driver vs m1060c/HF 580/HE 560/HD 650/TH-610. I really enjoy all the denon headphones I've heard so far, but the 5200 fills such a strange price point for their lineup. If I recall, it came out after the 7200 and the price is basically the same. People will just assume its the worst of the 3(from what I understand many people prefer the 5200 to 7200, though I can't say I've heard anyone say that about the 9200) and go for the flagship or the 7200. IMO It blows the fostex 610 out of the water as well, if we're talking about similar price points and basically the direct competitor.

It's just fantastic all around. Good mids, highs aren't fatiguing, strong midbass kick and good subbass. I'll always prefer headphones that can do it all over specialized headphones with something completely missing(often subbass). I don't think you should pay retail for this though, keep in mind that the demand is low due to their numbering scheme so you can get them under 400 if you're patient.

Oh, for the downside, the pleather feels like something that will need replacing though mine isn't deteriorating yet and the cups scuff extremely easily.
yep...you laid everything I love about these cans out really well. They are so very balanced its not even funny and youre right--its better than most of the other Fostex iterations out there too at similar prices. I haven't gotten my hands on the 7200 yet, but I bet its a treble cannon. I could be wrong, but if it improves upon the 5200's formula, I will get it down the line. But for now, the 5200 is incredible...and so many people sleep on it, its unreal. But its that way in this hobby...hidden gems found amongst the glut of constant offerings.
That said tho...my only issue with the 5200 is the headband. It can wear on you after many hours...but I'm going to order a headband cushion for them soon...that should do the trick.

Sep 21, 2020 at 2:16 AM Post #220 of 815
yep...you laid everything I love about these cans out really well. They are so very balanced its not even funny and youre right--its better than most of the other Fostex iterations out there too at similar prices. I haven't gotten my hands on the 7200 yet, but I bet its a treble cannon. I could be wrong, but if it improves upon the 5200's formula, I will get it down the line. But for now, the 5200 is incredible...and so many people sleep on it, its unreal. But its that way in this hobby...hidden gems found amongst the glut of constant offerings.
That said tho...my only issue with the 5200 is the headband. It can wear on you after many hours...but I'm going to order a headband cushion for them soon...that should do the trick.

I somehow doubt the 7200 improves directly on anything from the 5200, as the 5200 came out nearly 2 years after the 7200. They're probably just different.

Sep 21, 2020 at 10:48 AM Post #221 of 815
I somehow doubt the 7200 improves directly on anything from the 5200, as the 5200 came out nearly 2 years after the 7200. They're probably just different.
I was watching THIS review. He compares the D5200 vs D7200 vs D9200.

Resolution wise:
D5200 = lowest of the bunch, I mean it's also the cheapest so it makes sense.
D7200 = the reviewer said it's actually closer to D9200, sort why he actually suggest buying this one for value.
D9200 = highest resolution but also the most expensive.

Sound signature wise:
D5200 = the most balanced sound through out.
D7200 = the darker one of the bunch, recessed treble and boosted bass. I believe the reviewer suggest EQ to boost the treble a bit.
D9200 = the brighter one of the bunch, it emphasize treble and mids more but still apparently has one of the hardest hitting and textured bass in that price range.

So I was on the fence before due to the review but I think I might still go for D5200 since I don't like dealing with EQ I prefer to be able to plug in anything and it just works. And D5200 has the thickest headband out of the 3. I think the other 2 had leather headband but they somehow it's much thinner.

LOL like I said I've been reading / researching about this forever except I'm super indecisive so I've bought and sold a few things in the past, but I haven't pull the trigger on anything recently. Now I think I'm settled on D5200.

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2020 at 11:27 AM Post #222 of 815
I have the D2000 with ML pads.
I also had a D5000 and a 7000 for a while but had to give them away.
I was in the market for a headphone and by accident I looked if Denon had a few models. This was a pure accident as I had my eyes on Focal Clear / Elear and Stelia.

A few months ago, I went to a shop and had the chance to test out various cans :

1. Stelia
2. Clear
3. Denon 5200
4. Denon 7200
5. Denon 9200.

Suffice it to say, I went home with the 9200. There is a clear step up between each model.
In terms of bass, none sound like the D2000 ML pads. If you want woofer like sound, these are great. The bass is so cool you don't even care it covers other frequencies.
The 5200 is closer to the D2000 than pretty much anything in the new series.
Its punchy and to extract the most of the drivers, you need a good amp and a potential EQ.
5200 is a solid headphone and will provide a lot of headaches because of the loud volume. You will want to turn it louder and louder.

The 7200 pushes away from the 5200 by taking a step closer to refinement and overall clarity. It reminded me of the D5000 model Denon had back in the days.
The 9200 is in a world of its own because of clarity, dynamics, frequency separation at high volumes and effortless reproduction.
The bass on the 9200 is completely opposite from the D2000 and even D5200.
The 9200 is a difficult headphone to describe because all these fancy Chaucer words used by audiophiles do not do it justice.
Once you hear the 9200 you don't want to take it off.

Sep 21, 2020 at 11:58 AM Post #223 of 815
I have the D2000 with ML pads.
I also had a D5000 and a 7000 for a while but had to give them away.
I was in the market for a headphone and by accident I looked if Denon had a few models. This was a pure accident as I had my eyes on Focal Clear / Elear and Stelia.

A few months ago, I went to a shop and had the chance to test out various cans :

1. Stelia
2. Clear
3. Denon 5200
4. Denon 7200
5. Denon 9200.

Suffice it to say, I went home with the 9200. There is a clear step up between each model.
In terms of bass, none sound like the D2000 ML pads. If you want woofer like sound, these are great. The bass is so cool you don't even care it covers other frequencies.
The 5200 is closer to the D2000 than pretty much anything in the new series.
Its punchy and to extract the most of the drivers, you need a good amp and a potential EQ.
5200 is a solid headphone and will provide a lot of headaches because of the loud volume. You will want to turn it louder and louder.

The 7200 pushes away from the 5200 by taking a step closer to refinement and overall clarity. It reminded me of the D5000 model Denon had back in the days.
The 9200 is in a world of its own because of clarity, dynamics, frequency separation at high volumes and effortless reproduction.
The bass on the 9200 is completely opposite from the D2000 and even D5200.
The 9200 is a difficult headphone to describe because all these fancy Chaucer words used by audiophiles do not do it justice.
Once you hear the 9200 you don't want to take it off.
lol omg this is the best review so far thank you!!!

Also sorry for my ignorance but what's ML pads? Also you mentioned that D2000 is probably closest to D5200, then is it still worth it for me to try D5200 since I already have D2000? OR would I actually enjoy it more because it's familiar sound and what I'm used to LOL.

I've been thinking about D9200 for a while but realistically probably still out of my budget. Hence that's why I was looking at D5200 LOL I'm poor. Though I guess sometimes it saves money to shoot straight to the top as oppose to buying multiple lower ones. Did you find D7200 had enough sufficient treble though? Recessed treble is generally the biggest criticism that I read.

Sep 21, 2020 at 12:29 PM Post #224 of 815
lol omg this is the best review so far thank you!!!

Also sorry for my ignorance but what's ML pads? Also you mentioned that D2000 is probably closest to D5200, then is it still worth it for me to try D5200 since I already have D2000? OR would I actually enjoy it more because it's familiar sound and what I'm used to LOL.

I've been thinking about D9200 for a while but realistically probably still out of my budget. Hence that's why I was looking at D5200 LOL I'm poor. Though I guess sometimes it saves money to shoot straight to the top as oppose to buying multiple lower ones. Did you find D7200 had enough sufficient treble though? Recessed treble is generally the biggest criticism that I read.

If you enjoy the Denon sound signature from the D2000 you will love the D5200.
As I previously mentioned, the D2000 has been my favourite bass headphones and the more bass I had in my ears the more I wanted.
We all have a budget and we should not feel bad or anything.
The 5200 is a good pair of headphones! You will not be sorry and it will have an amazing sound.

Denon does not seem to be a fan favourite on these boards and they are often overlooked.
We have the community and Denon to blame to be honest. They don't really get involved with influencers and audiophiles.

PS : ML - Mark Lawton. He had a website where you could mod headphones.
PPS: While the 9200 is one of the best sounding headphones I have ever heard, I have a product at home which sounds a tiny bit better. It has better punch, frequency separation and higher fidelity.

Attachments

• c49d740aea988f49d27bff6f9ebae82a.jpg
    c49d740aea988f49d27bff6f9ebae82a.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 141cc7a9778ff4a89ae7c9a6475f5c04.jpg
    141cc7a9778ff4a89ae7c9a6475f5c04.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 68ac183a085a164d293e765d92f046df.jpg
    68ac183a085a164d293e765d92f046df.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 11256097.jpeg
    11256097.jpeg
    338.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Sep 21, 2020 at 1:39 PM Post #225 of 815
If you enjoy the Denon sound signature from the D2000 you will love the D5200.
As I previously mentioned, the D2000 has been my favourite bass headphones and the more bass I had in my ears the more I wanted.
We all have a budget and we should not feel bad or anything.
The 5200 is a good pair of headphones! You will not be sorry and it will have an amazing sound.

Denon does not seem to be a fan favourite on these boards and they are often overlooked.
We have the community and Denon to blame to be honest. They don't really get involved with influencers and audiophiles.

PS : ML - Mark Lawton. He had a website where you could mod headphones.
PPS: While the 9200 is one of the best sounding headphones I have ever heard, I have a product at home which sounds a tiny bit better. It has better punch, frequency separation and higher fidelity.
Lol yeah I really like my D2000 I think that might be why I'm having such a hard time finding upgrade. So it's really good to hear that I'll like the D5200 too!

And yes Lawton Pads! I previously tried the driver mod from him but never bought the pad. I think at the time it just seemed really expensive even for custom ear pads (compare to say like ZMF, Dekoni... etc). Also all the review says while it improves clarity but it really reduced the bass quantity so I didn't bother trying them. Though you said it actually increases bass amount......??? Though if I'm buying D5200 maybe I'll save the money and not get the pads for D2000 for now.

Also awesome speaker setup!

Focal speakers are niceeeee. Though I'd imagine it's much much more expensive than the D9200 right lol? :wink:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back