Denon AH-D5200 (little brother of the AH-D7200)
Aug 10, 2020 at 9:24 AM Post #196 of 815
LOL nice good to know the Lawton modded D5000 is holding up the test of time. Was it a full mod (including Lawton wood cup and all) or a partial mod (only the driver and cup dampening material and possibly ear cup)?

I've previously tried the partial Lawton mod (driver dampening and cup dampening) on the stock plastic cup and also other wood cups I got from E-Mu while it does make it seem more detailed but it negatively effected the sound stage and imaging. So I end up reverting it back to stock again. From what I read is that the Lawton mod was designed for his full mod (with his wood cup and all) which might explain why I didn't have good results on my side.

I guess at this point I can probably either get a Lawton full mod on my D2000 (since it's same driver as D5000) or maybe just save up and shoot for something like D9200 lol. I'm a bit concerned about D7200's recessed treble since I like treble, so I'm not fully sold on that yet.

Though I've also read earlier posts on this thread that some people move from D2000 to D5200 and is fully happy with it. So maybe I won't completely rule it out yet either. I guess the issue is that D5200, D7200, and D9200 all have different sound signature. So at that point it's not just about resolution, I guess it gets complicated.

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2020 at 8:24 AM Post #197 of 815
Bruh, I own these. I want you to be okay with keeping these. For the money, they are some of the best sounding all-round cans anywhere. They're a goldilocks in so many ways, but so many people pass them over for other cans . The 5200 is one of the rare set of cans that can virtually play anything well. I too was all set to sell them off a long time ago, but after auditioning cans below and above their $6-700 price, you cannot find better for what they are. So feel good about keeping them.

I agree. The 5200 is just very enjoyable and is now my daily driver vs m1060c/HF 580/HE 560/HD 650/TH-610. I really enjoy all the denon headphones I've heard so far, but the 5200 fills such a strange price point for their lineup. If I recall, it came out after the 7200 and the price is basically the same. People will just assume its the worst of the 3(from what I understand many people prefer the 5200 to 7200, though I can't say I've heard anyone say that about the 9200) and go for the flagship or the 7200. IMO It blows the fostex 610 out of the water as well, if we're talking about similar price points and basically the direct competitor.

It's just fantastic all around. Good mids, highs aren't fatiguing, strong midbass kick and good subbass. I'll always prefer headphones that can do it all over specialized headphones with something completely missing(often subbass). I don't think you should pay retail for this though, keep in mind that the demand is low due to their numbering scheme so you can get them under 400 if you're patient.

Oh, for the downside, the pleather feels like something that will need replacing though mine isn't deteriorating yet and the cups scuff extremely easily.

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2020 at 10:54 AM Post #198 of 815
IMO It blows the fostex 610 out of the water as well, if we're talking about similar price points and basically the direct competitor.
I think if you don't consider price then it seems like D5200 and TH610 are in the same league just slightly different from each other.

However in genera I do think D5200 is cheaper than TH610 so in that sense you could be right.

Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/a5rk02/warmth_to_combat_this_cold/

Out of curiosity what does everyone use to drive their D5200? I'm running my D2000 (granted slightly different, but similar) off Dragonfly Red now but I keep hearing mixed things regarding amping the Denon headphones.

One school of thought is that they're 25 Ohm so you can run them off anything, another school of thought is that despite them being 25 Ohm they're actually very amp picky so we need something with a lot of current (Grace M9XX) for it to sound "correct". I was debating as oppose to running straight off Dragonfly Red if I should use it as the dac and purchase Schiit Asgard (one of the warmer sounding amp) as the amp.

Or would I notice barely any difference? What do you guys think?

Sep 20, 2020 at 10:57 AM Post #199 of 815
I think if you don't consider price then it seems like D5200 and TH610 are in the same league just slightly different from each other.

However in genera I do think D5200 is cheaper than TH610 so in that sense you could be right.

Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/a5rk02/warmth_to_combat_this_cold/

Out of curiosity what does everyone use to drive their D5200? I'm running my D2000 (granted slightly different, but similar) off Dragonfly Red now but I keep hearing mixed things regarding amping the Denon headphones.

One school of thought is that they're 25 Ohm so you can run them off anything, another school of thought is that despite them being 25 Ohm they're actually very amp picky so we need something with a lot of current (Grace M9XX) for it to sound "correct". I was debating as oppose to running straight off Dragonfly Red if I should use it as the dac and purchase Schiit Asgard (one of the warmer sounding amp) as the amp.

Or would I notice barely any difference? What do you guys think?

I run them through the Lyr. Tried them on WA3, Little Dot MK3 and other DAPS, however there is very minimal difference in sound. I personally could not tell. They even sound fine from a regular laptop output.

Sep 20, 2020 at 12:57 PM Post #200 of 815
I run them through the Lyr. Tried them on WA3, Little Dot MK3 and other DAPS, however there is very minimal difference in sound. I personally could not tell. They even sound fine from a regular laptop output.
Ahhhh the would you say from laptop to Lyr there is difference, however between other amps there is not much difference?

Or would you say even the difference between laptop to Lyr is even very small?

EDIT: Should I just keep using Dragonfly Red as is then lol?

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2020 at 2:32 PM Post #201 of 815
I drive my D7200 with a Burson Soloist and a Little Dot MKIV. I like the Burson for rock and blues and the Little Dot for jazz and acoustic. I have a Fosgate Signature coming that should be interesting.

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2020 at 2:52 PM Post #202 of 815
Ahhhh the would you say from laptop to Lyr there is difference, however between other amps there is not much difference?

Or would you say even the difference between laptop to Lyr is even very small?

EDIT: Should I just keep using Dragonfly Red as is then lol?

Honestly, there isnt much at all between the Lyr and straight from the laptop. I'd say its possibly 'tighter' sounding, however 5% max. They sound great whatever I plug them into.

Sep 20, 2020 at 4:12 PM Post #203 of 815
I drive my D7200 with a Burson Soloist and a Little Dot MKIV. I like the Burson for rock and blues and the Little Dot for jazz and acoustic. I have a Fosgate Signature coming that should be interesting.
Damn those are really nice..... I'll get there one day..... maybe... LOL.

Honestly, there isnt much at all between the Lyr and straight from the laptop. I'd say its possibly 'tighter' sounding, however 5% max. They sound great whatever I plug them into.
lol I was thinking to get Asgard to go with my Dragonfly Red, but maybe I'll save my money for now judging by this.

EDIT: My wife would probably appreciate this LOL.

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2020 at 4:20 PM Post #204 of 815

lol I was thinking to get Asgard to go with my Dragonfly Red, but maybe I'll save my money for now judging by this.
Were you planning on using the Asgard only for the D5200? The amp could be beneficial if you have other headphones. I notice quite a change when amping the HE-5LE for e.g.

Sep 20, 2020 at 4:29 PM Post #205 of 815
Were you planning on using the Asgard only for the D5200? The amp could be beneficial if you have other headphones. I notice quite a change when amping the HE-5LE for e.g.
I previously also had Fostex T50RP that would probably benefit from this.

But I've since sold all my other headphones and right now I only have D2000, I've been looking for an upgrade for a while but hasn't been fully satisfied (previously tried E-Mu Teak, TH-X00 Mahogany, TH-X00 Ebony, ATH-WP900 and they've mostly been "different" than "better").

Was on the fence to try D5200 / Elegia but still kind of debating/researching.... though all of them are easy to drive so I probably still don't need an amp LOL.

Sep 20, 2020 at 4:45 PM Post #206 of 815

EDIT: My wife would probably appreciate this LOL.
Bought all of them used, not as expensive as you might think. $225 shipped for the Burson, $200+shipping for the Little Dot, and I ran across the Fosgate Friday on another forum for $150+shipping and bought it immediately. I'm really looking forward to hearing the Fosgate, can't believe I found it for that price. I've already got many pairs of the 12AX7 tubes that it uses. It's probably blown up or something, but couldn't pass on it. I think the guy selling it is going through a divorce. I really like the Burson as it's powerful, great bass and inner detail with a lot of sparkle. The Little Dot is just smooth with a lot of midrange. All of them sound great with my Denon D2000, Lawton D5000, and especially with the D7200. If the Fosgate is what the reviews say it is I may sell the Little Dot, or maybe not.

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2020 at 4:57 PM Post #207 of 815
I previously also had Fostex T50RP that would probably benefit from this.

But I've since sold all my other headphones and right now I only have D2000, I've been looking for an upgrade for a while but hasn't been fully satisfied (previously tried E-Mu Teak, TH-X00 Mahogany, TH-X00 Ebony, ATH-WP900 and they've mostly been "different" than "better").

Was on the fence to try D5200 / Elegia but still kind of debating/researching.... though all of them are easy to drive so I probably still don't need an amp LOL.
IMHO, my Lawton D5000 was much better than the Elegia. I bought the Elegia a couple of months ago and kept it for a week, sold it and bought the D7200 and I'm happy that I did. In my setup the Lawton D5000 and the D7200 just blew the Elegia away across the board. That's just my opinion and experience, everyone hears things differently.

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2020 at 6:53 PM Post #208 of 815
Bought all of them used, not as expensive as you might think. $225 shipped for the Burson, $200+shipping for the Little Dot, and I ran across the Fosgate Friday on another forum for $150+shipping and bought it immediately. I'm really looking forward to hearing the Fosgate, can't believe I found it for that price. I've already got many pairs of the 12AX7 tubes that it uses. It's probably blown up or something, but couldn't pass on it. I think the guy selling it is going through a divorce. I really like the Burson as it's powerful, great bass and inner detail with a lot of sparkle. The Little Dot is just smooth with a lot of midrange. All of them sound great with my Denon D2000, Lawton D5000, and especially with the D7200. If the Fosgate is what the reviews say it is I may sell the Little Dot, or maybe not.
Damn I guess I was never that dedicated on the hunt on the used market, I probably should start. The price you got them is insane.

I've also heard of people finding D5200 from eBay for $200-300. I should really start digging.
IMHO, my Lawton D5000 was much better than the Elegia. I bought the Elegia a couple of months ago and kept it for a week, sold it and bought the D7200 and I'm happy that I did. In my setup the Lawton D5000 and the D7200 just blew the Elegia away across the board. That's just my opinion and experience, everyone hears things differently.
Ah yes I remember you now from previous page, didn't make the connection initially but now I see lol. So you did end up pulling the trigger afterall all on D7200.

Now the bigger question is how do you like the D7200 compare to the Lawton D5000? Do you find it's worth the upgrade? And at this point I guess it's safe to just drop Elegia from the consideration entirely lol.

Sep 20, 2020 at 7:20 PM Post #209 of 815
The 7200 is definitely an upgrade from the Lawton 5000, there's just a bit more of everything. I didn't care for the bass with the Elegia. It was there but not like what comes from the Denons. The Denons go way lower than the Elegia IMHO and the highs from the Denons have more sparkle. I took a lot of flak for saying this but that's my opinion and I'm staying with it.

Sep 20, 2020 at 7:40 PM Post #210 of 815
Damn I guess I was never that dedicated on the hunt on the used market, I probably should start. The price you got them is insane.

I've also heard of people finding D5200 from eBay for $200-300. I should really start digging.

Ah yes I remember you now from previous page, didn't make the connection initially but now I see lol. So you did end up pulling the trigger afterall all on D7200.

Now the bigger question is how do you like the D7200 compare to the Lawton D5000? Do you find it's worth the upgrade? And at this point I guess it's safe to just drop Elegia from the consideration entirely lol.

yeah got my 5200 from ebay NiB for $350 and my TH-610 used with a broken hinge for $74, which I repaired with 2 zipties. The 610 is just boring compared to the 5200 imo, and the 5200 EQ's much better. The only leg up the 610 has is comfort (stock pad material is great, headband is great and it stays on your head with minimal clamp force) and the wood cups are much more resilent. 610 is more neutral as well I suppose, but to me that just means boring.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back