Denon AH-D5200 (little brother of the AH-D7200)
Jan 3, 2019 at 4:35 AM Post #76 of 815
If I decide on a secondhand pair of D5200 I will require a 4.4mm cable, is anyone able to recommend a couple of reasonably priced options please? My experience with cables is only with a couple of non Kimber Sony ones - for the D5200 would it be recommended to go copper or hybrid. I know it is a matter of taste but sometimes there is a general opinion that a certain headphone is best with a certain cable, thanks.

Jan 5, 2019 at 8:07 AM Post #77 of 815
I just bought a secondhand mint D5200 at the 5% off sale day at e earphone. As my Japanese is basically just sorrys and thank yous, I wasn't able effectively communicate cable options. Is there any special specs to the cables or are they just standard 3.5mm for the headphone side? When I demoed them at Yodobashi Camera they used the Sony Kimber 4.4mm cable for my ZX300, but when I pointed at one at e earphone they said it wasn't to be used - does anyone know if the Sony cable is actually compatible (I know they have the retractable screw mechanism)?

Jan 15, 2019 at 10:43 AM Post #80 of 815
Just took a punt on this. Hoping for a happy marriage between the z7m2 and elegia. I really like those 2 cans and this (hopefully) would complete a nice little closed back trinity for me. Will report back.

Jan 27, 2019 at 4:08 PM Post #82 of 815
D5200 sounds really good in this price range. Same level as Fostex Th610, Nightowl, but diffrent signature.
Denons have wery nice holography, like Nightowl but without added reverb.
The soundstage isn't big, TH610 have it bigger. But D5200 sound is more realistic and more visible, because of sharp sounds edges. It's not delicate kind of sound, but isn't harsh as well. They are engaging, punchy and funny, that's how they sound.
D5200 is not the level of Fostex TH900.

Feb 2, 2019 at 6:45 AM Post #83 of 815
How does the D5000 compare to the D5200?, im not sure witch one i should buy, i have read many positive things about the sound of the D5000 but i dont know if the D5200 has the same sound quality, i can get a good deal for the D5000 right now also.

Feb 17, 2019 at 12:08 PM Post #84 of 815
Hello all. How is the D5200 in terms of sound leakage and isolation?

I'm planning to use them in the Office so I'm very interested to understand how well they isolate sound from outside and specially if they leak any sound to the exterior. Any help would be very much appreciated.

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2019 at 8:39 AM Post #87 of 815
Can anyone compare D5200 to D600?
I have both. If you have the Denon AH-D600 and are thinking of getting the Denon AH- D5200 they are just about the same with the D600 being a little fuller in sound especially with the bass. But to my ears its a side way move and not an upward move. The D5200 certainly look better and are lighter on the head but really the same class of headphone.

Mar 22, 2019 at 10:01 PM Post #88 of 815
Well...as many of you know......Denon cans take a while to run in. These have like close to 60 hours on them and the sound hs changed again. They are on a different level than the D600's. What I love about these is they have lots of soul....you can feel the emotion of the musician. They are so clear and transparent you can hear those off set talking or whatever in the background on certain recordings. These cans are that good if your systems is resolving enough. They have a very accurate warm sound....nothing fatigue and can listen for hours...bass has smoothed out and is tight! Much more texture than the D600's. Mids a little warmer...before couldn't hear a lot of detail on vocals, now even that has changed for the better. And highs are extended with lingering notes hanging in the air...and from owning previous Denon headphones, I'm sure they're going to change again for the better. I'm listening on a ifi Stack with the iTube2. These are great headphones....may have to get a pair of D7200's to compare the two.

Someone asked why these don't get more love than they are....I don't know....perhaps cats don't have the patience to run them in? But these are great cans and many are simply sleeping on these...excellent cans at the $500 mark.

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2019 at 10:11 AM Post #89 of 815
I have both. If you have the Denon AH-D600 and are thinking of getting the Denon AH- D5200 they are just about the same with the D600 being a little fuller in sound especially with the bass. But to my ears its a side way move and not an upward move. The D5200 certainly look better and are lighter on the head but really the same class of headphone.

Yes I’m happy with my D600 but looking for some upgrade. Thank you for your opinion

Well...as many of you know......Denon cans take a while to run in. These have like close to 60 hours on them and the sound hs changed again. They are on a different level than the D600's. What I love about these is they have lots of soul....you can feel the emotion of the musician. They are so clear and transparent you can hear those off set talking or whatever in the background on certain recordings. These cans are that good if your systems is resolving enough. They have a very accurate warm sound....nothing fatigue and can listen for hours...bass has smoothed out and is tight! Much more texture than the D600's. Mids a little warmer...before couldn't hear a lot of detail on vocals, now even that has changed for the better. And highs are extended with lingering notes hanging in the air...and from owning previous Denon headphones, I'm sure they're going to change again for the better. I'm listening on a ifi Stack with the iTube2. These are great headphones....may have to get a pair of D7200's to compare the two.

Someone asked why these don't get more love than they are....I don't know....perhaps cats don't have the patience to run them in? But these are great cans and many are simply sleeping on these...excellent cans at the $500 mark.

Thank you it’s really make sense

What can you say about sound stage?

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2019 at 6:51 PM Post #90 of 815
Yes I’m happy with my D600 but looking for some upgrade. Thank you for your opinion

Thank you it’s really make sense

What can you say about sound stage?
The sound stage is nice. Lots of air around instruments and lot of separation. Not closed in but not supper wide. You won't have complaint about the stage, or anything about these cans. Unless you have no patience for run in time. Just purchase new cables to connect iTube2 to IDSD DAC and gained a fair bit more resolution. Don't sleep on the Denon AH D5200's! They are better than the D600's and great at this pricem point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back