Denon AH-D5200 (little brother of the AH-D7200)
Mar 3, 2022 at 11:19 AM Post #706 of 815
Hi...I'm planning to buy these as my go-to headphones but I can't find anyone talking about its detail retrieval. Are these good at detail retrieval as much as Focal elegia which I'm eyeing on or maybe equal? Can you compare D5200 and hd6xx which is only audiophile headphone I currently own in terms of detail and technicalities? As far as Sound profile goes, these looks good to me but overall technical ability is what keeping me ;(
I had the Elegia and then the D5200, so I didn't have them at the same time. But based on my memory both are on the same level in terms of detail retrieval. Elegia gives you more perceived details as its more upfront. Main instruments sound very crystal clear and very detailed/present. The D5200 sounds a bit less of that on the main instruments, but is very good in retrieving background instruments and ambient details.

Mar 3, 2022 at 11:40 AM Post #707 of 815
I'd say the Elegia is a class above the D5200. With the current pricing of the Elegia, if I had to chose between the two, I'd go with the Elegia.
Though assuming if price doesn't matter, would you still rate Elegia over D5200?

I'm asking because I bought D5200 second hand at a lower price ($284 USD) than Elegia's sale price $380 USD.

But now I'm wondering forever if it's worth it to try Elegia anyway lol.

EDIT: Just saw the reply after that now, and it pretty much answers my question. Thanks!

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2022 at 3:35 PM Post #708 of 815
So I got a few dongles recently with 4.4 mm balanced output.

Does D5200 benefit much from balanced? If so what's a good budget 4.4 mm balanced cable?

Was looking at the Meze Copper 4.4 mm balanced cable, anyone have experience with that? Thanks!

Mar 12, 2022 at 3:07 PM Post #710 of 815
I prefer these over the Elegia by quite a lot. Really just because of the tuning above 1kHz; I think the resolution is pretty comparable. At this level of performance it comes down to preference and availability.

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2022 at 7:42 PM Post #711 of 815
[...] The D5200 sounds a bit less of that on the main instruments, but is very good in retrieving background instruments and ambient details.

This is exactly this, this is why I found them to be unbelievably immersive in games and movies. For music also you can hear very small details of background instruments, I love this in tracks which have these.

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2022 at 6:14 AM Post #712 of 815
lol yeah definitely agree, I think that's why I think D5200 tonal balance is better, but D5200 never felt that "clear" to me. D2000 in contrast is crystal clear. But in everyday regular listening I think D5200 is enjoyable enough that I don't think about it lol.

Also dac/amp combination generally can address some of the shortcomings too. But nice I hope you enjoy your HD58X too!
The stock D5200 cable is really weak. The D5200 is so rugged. I use a cable from D7100 copper 7N and it's much better :)

Apr 14, 2022 at 6:56 AM Post #713 of 815
Guys this come as a big surprise but I recently got the Drop Hifiman HE-R7DX. And I find it more enjoyable than D5200(!!!).

Tuning is mostly the same the biggest difference is that R7DX is more mid bassy and more 3D and open sounding. Imaging is also much better. In comparison D5200 feels more 2D?

Trade off is that it seems to mostly fit better on large head so if you have small head you might have to bend headband to make it clamp more. Otherwise Zeos has coupon that saves $50 then you can get it for $100 which is insane deal considering I like it more than D5200.

Though I have super large head so your mileage may vary. Also if you do get it let it burn in for 1 day first. Right off the bat it sounded meh lol. Otherwise just make sure it seal properly around your head then you're good. 👍

PXL_20220407_175348561.jpg

Apr 14, 2022 at 12:17 PM Post #714 of 815
I recently purchased a used pair of AH-D5200s on reddit, and while I think I like the sound, I'm having a little difficulty with one of the pad mounting rings. I guess due to wear and tear (the previous owner used Dekoni velour pads), one of the pad mounting rings doesn't latch in securely to the headphone. I can attach it and use the headphones, but it's loose, (edit - corrected spelling) and even a light tug will unclip the pads completely. I'm waiting on Denon to respond to an email I sent asking if I can buy a new pair of mounting rings, but I'm not super hopeful that they'll help. I want to keep these headphones, even though the seller has offered to take them back and give me a refund.

Any ideas for other solutions? I've considered using double-sided tape to mount the pads directly to the headphone, a la the Audeze approach, or maybe find some way to add just enough extra material to the pad mounting ring latches so that it will stay secure on the headphone (maybe a small bit of plumber's tape?). I'm also asking someone in my neighborhood with a 3D printer if they can help, but we'd have to design the ring entirely - I've never seen designs for this part online.

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2022 at 12:35 PM Post #715 of 815
I recently purchased a used pair of AH-D5200s on reddit, and while I think I like the sound, I'm having a little difficulty with one of the pad mounting rings. I guess due to wear and tear (the previous owner used Dekoni velour pads), one of the pad mounting rings doesn't latch in securely to the headphone. I can attach it and use the headphones, but it's loos, and even a light tug will unclip the pads completely. I'm waiting on Denon to respond to an email I sent asking if I can buy a new pair of mounting rings, but I'm not super hopeful that they'll help. I want to keep these headphones, even though the seller has offered to take them back and give me a refund.

Any ideas for other solutions? I've considered using double-sided tape to mount the pads directly to the headphone, a la the Audeze approach, or maybe find some way to add just enough extra material to the pad mounting ring latches so that it will stay secure on the headphone (maybe a small bit of plumber's tape?). I'm also asking someone in my neighborhood with a 3D printer if they can help, but we'd have to design the ring entirely - I've never seen designs for this part online.
I've called Denon parts in the US before and they do have parts that they can sell you. I almost bought a pair of earpads. It's just finding their number was pain in the butt so I don't remember what it was anymore but hopefully you're able to find it.

If I remember correctly they sell the mounting ring together with the pads I THINK? Double check with them but there is a chance you might have to buy it as a package (earpad + ring).

Otherwise hopefully it works out, thanks!

Apr 14, 2022 at 8:32 PM Post #716 of 815
Denon support emailed me back and referred me to denon.encompass.com, but they don't seem to have any parts for the AH-D5200. :/ I assume the pads from the AH-7200 or AH-9200 would work, if they come with the pad mounting ring, but it's not completely clear to me whether the pads do include that part or not. But they did give me a number for their parts department too, so I'll give that a call tomorrow. That number is 866-779-7421 if anyone else needs it.

Apr 14, 2022 at 11:13 PM Post #717 of 815
Denon support emailed me back and referred me to denon.encompass.com, but they don't seem to have any parts for the AH-D5200. :/ I assume the pads from the AH-7200 or AH-9200 would work, if they come with the pad mounting ring, but it's not completely clear to me whether the pads do include that part or not. But they did give me a number for their parts department too, so I'll give that a call tomorrow. That number is 866-779-7421 if anyone else needs it.
I found my old e-mail, the parts you're looking for is:

917439101460S-99
EAR PAD L/R ASSY AHD5200

$75.95 USD

I think it's all in one earpad + mounting ring. You could ask them if they sell it separately. Let us know how it goes!

Apr 15, 2022 at 9:37 AM Post #718 of 815
Thanks for the part number, that will help. But oof...$76? The pads for the D7200 are $62 and the D9200 are $60. :/

Apr 15, 2022 at 12:02 PM Post #720 of 815
While I'm waiting on the Denon rep to get back to me RE: the stock pads and whether they come with the mounting ring, another solution I'm thinking of is to cut up a couple plastic lids (similar to the mod someone posted much earlier in this thread to fit pads meant for the older Foster biodynamics family) and a sheet of double-sided tape into rings, and mounting the pads that way, similar to how Audeze mounts their pads. But if I go this route, I'm accepting a somewhat more permanent pad solution, and the stock pads do irritate me a little due to the small size for the ear. I find that the back of my ear gets pinched a little which is a tad annoying. Is there general consensus on the best aftermarket pad for these? ZMF Ori pads?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back