Denon AH-D2000 Review + First Post
Aug 5, 2009 at 10:51 PM Post #16 of 44
Heres a photo of the cables, too lazy to take the headphones off my head
smily_headphones1.gif
Also don't know how to imbed an image, so it's an attachment.

Aug 5, 2009 at 11:07 PM Post #17 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Graphicism /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm boggled as to why anyone would review a pair of headphones plugged into a macbook, needless to say you haven't heard the D2000s yet.

Running directly out of a MacBook may not be ideal, but you can get a good feel for how these headphones sound that way. They do sound better with a decent amp, but they don't transform into different headphones.

Some of this may also depend on how loud you like to listen.

Aug 5, 2009 at 11:17 PM Post #19 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by TakashiMiike /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well that's just mean
frown.gif

I'm sure if someone were to review the sound quality of an MP3 player using stock ear buds the same would be said. And look on the bright side, when you get an amp you get an all new listening experience, it should just make you want it more than ever!

Quote:

Originally Posted by 12thgear /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Running directly out of a MacBook may not be ideal, but you can get a good feel for how these headphones sound that way. They do sound better with a decent amp, but they don't transform into different headphones.

Some of this may also depend on how loud you like to listen.

I disagree, moving from laptop/soundcard/mp3 player to an amp these headphone change completely. An unamped review of these headphones is like reviewing a car from the garage, your not seeing half of it. And an amp has nothing to do with how loud you listen to them, sure you can go louder on an amp but it's not a volume issue.

Aug 5, 2009 at 11:21 PM Post #20 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by TakashiMiike /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I also believe that the opinion on this forum that the bass is "flabby" is over-exaggerated. The bass seems very defined the word i would use is clear and thumpy.

Try listening to the song "Flight of the Cosmic Hippo" by Bela Fleck and the Flecktones. The song is basically a bass solo by Victor Wooten. But you'll need access to another pair of headphones that do a tighter bass to be able to compare.

On the D2000 the bass waves and bass notes run together. Notes linger for more than they should as the sound continues to resonate inside the ear cups. It turns into a bit of bass mush, very pleasing bass mush, but bass mush nonetheless.

On headphones that have a more accurate bass (HD580/600 or similar) you get separation in the bass waves and bass notes. You can better hear the attack of each bass note and the note doesn't linger for more than it should.

If you're listening to something where the bass doesn't require accurate or tight bass then the D2000 is all good. When you listen to something that you want to be able to better hear details in the bass then the D2000 starts to let you down and you can notice that the bass could be tighter.

Aug 5, 2009 at 11:28 PM Post #21 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by SchneiderStudios /img/forum/go_quote.gif
WOW thats so thick! very non portable lol thanks

The stock cable is very non-portable. The cable is long, thick, not very flexible, doesn't like being coiled, doesn't like twists, and the fabric covering will get snagged and battered. A single twist can cause the cable to want to loop into a single coil, multiple twists can cause tangling. Pretty much everything you don't want in a cable for a portable. It's a headphone for use at home where you're seated and mostly stationary.

Aug 5, 2009 at 11:29 PM Post #22 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ham Sandwich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Try listening to the song "Flight of the Cosmic Hippo" by Bela Fleck and the Flecktones. The song is basically a bass solo by Victor Wooten. But you'll need access to another pair of headphones that do a tighter bass to be able to compare.

Sounds lovely here... Fat bass (Hippo) in the middle, banjo front right, piano bottom left... woo now some guy with a harmonica just jumped on the hippos back. Lol well I like this music, not something I would usually listen too but detailed even for amazon.

Aug 5, 2009 at 11:34 PM Post #23 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Graphicism /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sounds lovely here... Fat bass (Hippo) in the middle, banjo front right, piano bottom left... woo now some guy with a harmonica just jumped on the hippos back. Lol well I like this music, not something I would usually listen too but detailed even for amazon.

I just listened to the 30 second clip that is on Amazon. The bass isn't supposed to be that thick. The CD is a much more accurate experience.

Aug 5, 2009 at 11:38 PM Post #24 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by koven /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If portability is no concern, get the EF2 hybrid DAC/amp. It's an amazing value at $189, I absolutely love mine. HeadphoneAddict also commented in his review that it pairs very nicely w/ the D2000.

Some of the best advice so far, will seriously consider getting this amp in a few days/weeks.
biggrin.gif
Thanks

Aug 6, 2009 at 12:47 AM Post #25 of 44
Quote:

I don't have that track but the sample has me intrigued. I may have to pick up a used copy of that CD and do a little K 702/AH-D2000 duel.

Aug 6, 2009 at 12:55 AM Post #26 of 44
can anyone recommend a portable amp up to $100 and a good place to buy?
kinda of topic but i live really close to Line 6 headquarters haha i didnt really know what they make but i do know.

Aug 6, 2009 at 12:56 AM Post #27 of 44
It dosn't even how to be a super powerful amp, as I am using my little Pico. The difference is night and day. I would look at the Nuforce Icon Mobile for the 100 DAC/Amp.

Aug 6, 2009 at 1:19 AM Post #28 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by 12thgear /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't have that track but the sample has me intrigued. I may have to pick up a used copy of that CD and do a little K 702/AH-D2000 duel.

The K702 and D2000 would be an interesting compare contrast with that song. I've not tried listening to Cosmic Hippo on a K701/702. I'll have to try it next time I'm at a meet. I did try Cosmic Hippo on an HD800 at a meet. Not exactly fair to the HD800 to use that song as a demo
very_evil_smiley.gif
The HD800 doesn't physically tickle the ears with the bass, but it is certainly very accurate in the bass that it does present. The Denon is able to tickle the ears and sometimes you just want to be tickled rather than be presented with more technical accuracy.

The Cosmic Hippo CD is inexpensive used and one of the more popular (if not the most popular) Bela Fleck & the Flecktones CDs. Bela Fleck is always something good to add to your collection (I have lots).

Aug 6, 2009 at 4:13 AM Post #29 of 44
Quote:

On the D2000 the bass waves and bass notes run together. Notes linger for more than they should as the sound continues to resonate inside the ear cups. It turns into a bit of bass mush, very pleasing bass mush, but bass mush nonetheless.

The Markl mods to dampen the driver assembly and earcups make all the difference in the tightening up the mush of the stock D2000. All you need to DIY the mods is the Dynamat.

Aug 6, 2009 at 4:37 AM Post #30 of 44
I just got my new D2000s delivered today. Unfortunately unamped, but all I can say is WoW
atsmile.gif
. I'm currently listening to one of my all-time favorites, Postishead Roseland NYC Live. Beth Gibbons with the NY Philharmonic is an amazing thing. Track 8 Glory Box litterally gave me chills. It's like I'm hearing it again for the first time, only better.

I need some amp/dac advise, please. I'm seriously looking at the iBasso D1 or D10 (I would like to have optical input).

Is this good, bad, or could I do better for the same (or not much more) money?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back