Denon AH-D2000 Review + First Post
Aug 6, 2009 at 4:51 AM Post #31 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bostonears /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Markl mods to dampen the driver assembly and earcups make all the difference in the tightening up the mush of the stock D2000. All you need to DIY the mods is the Dynamat.

I've been planning on doing the partial mod. I already have the Dynamat. Just need to motivate myself to do the actual modding (it's been several months, I really need to kick myself and get to it). I'll get around to it.

Aug 6, 2009 at 6:11 AM Post #32 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by koven /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If portability is no concern, get the EF2 hybrid DAC/amp. It's an amazing value at $189, I absolutely love mine. HeadphoneAddict also commented in his review that it pairs very nicely w/ the D2000.

Yes, it does sound good with my D2000. It sounds even better with the LA7000 (modded, re-woodied, re-cabled D7000).
very_evil_smiley.gif

My favorite amp for my balanced and re-cabled/woodied D2000 has been my Square Wave XL solid state discrete output balanced amp, but the EF2 is still no slouch.
popcorn.gif

Aug 6, 2009 at 6:47 AM Post #33 of 44
I understand the cable on this is very thick and stuff, making travel unreasonable. is this the case?

just making sure I need to bump them off my list.

Aug 6, 2009 at 6:58 AM Post #35 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by ajreynol /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I understand the cable on this is very thick and stuff, making travel unreasonable. is this the case?

just making sure I need to bump them off my list.

Travel in what way? I consider them to be transportable. Meaning you can put them in a pack/bag/briefcase and take them to work or traveling with you on a business trip hotel stay. The long and stiff cable could get in the way at work if your desk is in an area where other people walk around cause the cable will snake on the floor where people could trip.

Travel as in using on the go as a portable? I would have to say that as a portable it has the worst most inconvenient cable you could possibly get. There is no way to stuff that much unwieldy cable on your person conveniently.

Aug 6, 2009 at 7:14 AM Post #37 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by SchneiderStudios /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why didnt they make the cable go into only on of the ear cups? and why make the cable so thick?

WHYYY

L.O.L
biggrin.gif

Aug 6, 2009 at 7:43 AM Post #39 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ham Sandwich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Travel in what way? I consider them to be transportable. Meaning you can put them in a pack/bag/briefcase and take them to work or traveling with you on a business trip hotel stay. The long and stiff cable could get in the way at work if your desk is in an area where other people walk around cause the cable will snake on the floor where people could trip.

Travel as in using on the go as a portable? I would have to say that as a portable it has the worst most inconvenient cable you could possibly get. There is no way to stuff that much unwieldy cable on your person conveniently.

Travel as in, carrying them on my next plane flight. Or listening to them on a bus.

and yea...your last paragraph pretty much killed my hope for these. I'll have to turn my attention fully towards the new Shure's (SRH840), Beyer's (DT 250), one of the AKG's (K 271 MK II), and a few of the Audio Technica's (ESW9A, A900).

always sad to see really highly regarded cans get removed from my list...but i'll feel better in the morning.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 6, 2009 at 7:57 AM Post #40 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by ajreynol /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Travel as in, carrying them on my next plane flight. Or listening to them on a bus.

and yea...your last paragraph pretty much killed my hope for these. I'll have to turn my attention fully towards the new Shure's (SRH840), Beyer's (DT 250), one of the AKG's (K 271 MK II), and a few of the Audio Technica's (ESW9A, A900).

always sad to see really highly regarded cans get removed from my list...but i'll feel better in the morning.
smily_headphones1.gif

You could get the D2000 recabled using a shorter, more flexible, more friendly cable. You don't need to use expensive $200 cable. There's got to be something available cheap. But recabling would require opening the cans up and soldering. There are people and businesses here that do it. No idea on the minimum charger for labor to do so.

I've also been curious about the Shure SRH840 and its middle brother the SRH440. I'm not looking to replace or augment my D2000, but I do want to know how the Shure headphones sound, especially directly from a portable. Could end up being good closed headphones to recommend to friends.

Aug 6, 2009 at 8:04 AM Post #41 of 44
Overall impression: With no burn in no amp and no dac, I am extremely impressed with these cans. I find these cans to shine most in Jazz/Classical/Trance/ and female singing alternative rock (haven't tried any hard rock yet) I also believe that the opinion on this forum that the bass is "flabby" is over-exaggerated. The bass seems very defined the word i would use is clear and thumpy.

Well i think i'll end this praise here. I will continue to find something I don't like about these headphones and am looking forward to burning these in and eventually getting a DAC + amp for them

Good review. if burn in appropriate ( around 250-500hrs), it will be more mellow and the bass will improve a lot.

--------------------------------------------------------
2 Days Later
--------------------------------------------------------

With the burn in i've been doing these headphones have been on 24 hours a day playing music and i've noticed that the sibilance ( a word i was struggling to find in my previous reviews for male voices ) are pretty much completely gone. And the bass has become slightly more defined then it already was. These headphones are turning out absolutely great.[/QUOTE]

Aug 6, 2009 at 3:30 PM Post #42 of 44
Yeah the EF2 looks good. Eep the $1000 Square Wave XL is a little out of my price range for now. Also does the EF2 act as a DAC as well? After I get the EF2 what will benefit my sound more? Wooden Cups (Made myself which will only cost max $100 for both of em probably less), APSv3 Cables, or a dedicated DAC?

And I consider them portable, as I bike to work everyday and they go in the front pouch of my laptop bag, every day.

Aug 6, 2009 at 10:12 PM Post #43 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by TakashiMiike /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah the EF2 looks good. Eep the $1000 Square Wave XL is a little out of my price range for now. Also does the EF2 act as a DAC as well?

Yes.

After I get the EF2 what will benefit my sound more? Wooden Cups (Made myself which will only cost max $100 for both of em probably less), APSv3 Cables, or a dedicated DAC?

All of the above.
tongue.gif

The Sq Wave with blackgates caps upgrade is $1250, but I have been thinking about parting with mine for $750. But then I listen to it and wonder if I should really sell it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back