Denon AH-D2000 or Sennheiser 600's - help out a Nub
Apr 30, 2009 at 7:32 AM Post #16 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by K3cT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've heard the D2000 before with a tube amp. I dig the midrange but it sounded muddy and a bit bottom-heavy. There's also an audible but slight hissing which I guess is due to its low impedance.

Now I've arrived at the conclusion that a warm SS amp will suit the Denon the best.

Which tube amps did you try the Denon with?

Depending on the make, tube amps can certainly sound solid state like.

Apr 30, 2009 at 8:11 AM Post #17 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by moonboy403 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Which tube amps did you try the Denon with?

Depending on the make, tube amps can certainly sound solid state like.

One is the Little Dot IVSE while the other one is a DIY design which I believed used SET topology. I'm honestly not sure about the design and such in the DIY tube design as I admit that I don't have much experience in that. I also didn't inquire what tubes those amps have.

The LD sounded less tubey compared to the other one but the DIY design sounded very rich and creamy with the HD600. I'm not sure I want to use that particular combination though for my faster and more dynamic music. The DIY design also had an audible hiss with the Denon while the LD had not.

Apr 30, 2009 at 1:24 PM Post #18 of 37
For me...D5000 comes closer to replacing HD600.....it has a very good soundstage, bass has more impact than HD600....and the sound is very energetic..not upfront like grado..but very energetic...it makes u wanna stand up and jump.

also..it had a butter like smoothness in the midrange at the same time.

the D2000 unmodded on the other hand is totally not a competition for HD600.

the midrange is inferior to HD600, Bass is powerful but not tamed...its a more Raw sound..but great for Club sound.

personally.. i would love to have D5000 next to my HD600..but man Denons are expensive.

Apr 30, 2009 at 2:14 PM Post #19 of 37
If budget is not a problem, I say get both, then sell one
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 30, 2009 at 4:01 PM Post #21 of 37
i've heard both and own the D7000...

if you're sticking to the original two choices, i'd get the Senns...

i've talked to numerous people who prefer the 600 to the 650...& the 600 can be had new for some very attractive prices...

Apr 30, 2009 at 9:00 PM Post #22 of 37
moonboy403: Except for the EF1, I do not know of any other tube amp that works well with the Denons. And the EF1 probably works because it is a hybrid. The D2000's low ohm make tube amps put out less power and more hiss than they would driving something like the HD600s.

Do you know any tube amps (not hybrids) made for driving sub-30ohm headphones?

Apr 30, 2009 at 9:14 PM Post #23 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cohiba /img/forum/go_quote.gif
moonboy403: Except for the EF1, I do not know of any other tube amp that works well with the Denons. And the EF1 probably works because it is a hybrid. The D2000's low ohm make tube amps put out less power and more hiss than they would driving something like the HD600s.

Technically speaking, transformer coupled tube amps are better for low impedance cans while OTL ones are better for high impedance cans.

There are plenty of transformer coupled tube amps and namely the Woo 6 is such. The Yamamoto HA-02 is one that goes especially well with low impedance cans.

As a matter of fact, one of our veteran memeber headphoneaddict uses the Woo 6 to drive his Denon and he liked it better than the EF1. Another member, Jsaliga, uses his WA2 (transformer coupled) to drive his D7000 with great successful. On the other hand, I also use a low impedance headphone (W5000) with very good result with an Audiotailor Jade and Singlepower Extreme. They were dead silent.

Apr 30, 2009 at 9:45 PM Post #24 of 37
Quote:

Jade can drive D2000 (25 Ohm) without any problem.

Apr 30, 2009 at 10:23 PM Post #25 of 37
Interesting. I will check those amps out if I get the chance
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 30, 2009 at 10:31 PM Post #26 of 37
I owned the HD580 (which is close to the HD600) and the D2000.
IMHO, the HD580/600 wins hands down. They are better in bass, mids, highs, PRaT and everything else. Amped and unamped.
Both benefit from a good amp though.
HD600 has a much better (defined/ textured) bass than the D2000.
For rock, I would take the HD580/600 any time. The D2000 is too slow and boring.
Don't know about electronica and gaming..

Apr 30, 2009 at 11:15 PM Post #27 of 37
I much prefer either the D2000 or D5000 over the HD600 and by a large margin. I also strongly feel that the Denon's sound better from a SS amp (generic statement with some exceptions). Lastly the Denons are improved significantly w/ the MarkL mods, to the point of becoming world class headphones. Good luck.

Apr 30, 2009 at 11:20 PM Post #28 of 37
Quote:

I have Woo Audio 6 SE, which is a transformer-coupled tube amp, and it drives low impedance cans as well as hybrids and solid states, and has no hiss/noise even with IEM's. It puts out plenty of current at low impdedance (1100 mW at 32 Ohms). There is a huge variability among tube amps in how they handle low impdecance cans.

May 2, 2009 at 12:25 AM Post #30 of 37
Emelius: Good lord, where did you get that avatar? I feel funny and tingly inside... LOL

Users who are viewing this thread

Back