Denon AH-D2000 or Sennheiser 600's - help out a Nub
May 4, 2009 at 6:38 AM Post #31 of 37
Getting the D2000 will just prolong the time it takes you to get get the HD600. Or you could just get the HD600 and save yourself time, pain, and money.
wink.gif

Drop Stay updated on Drop at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/drop https://twitter.com/drop https://www.massdrop.com/?clickid=3QR3Ib27lyA-VkBRJwyGuQJeUkhUQvX5r0tLzQ0&utm_term=252901&utm_content=VigLink&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_source=impactradius&irgwc=1
May 4, 2009 at 6:53 AM Post #32 of 37
i would like to read more comparisons in the bass department.

is the consensus that d2000 = more impact and hd600 = better defined bass.

what about bass impact of the hd600.

Would the hd600s satisfy a borderlining basshead?

May 4, 2009 at 7:06 AM Post #33 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gothamm /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I the D2000 does have more bass, but I found it a bit flabby and excessive for my music tastes. The HD650 has plenty bass for my needs. I think the HD600 has less bass then the HD650 so I would not suggest the HD600 for someone fixated on bass heavy music.

Drop Stay updated on Drop at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/drop https://twitter.com/drop https://www.massdrop.com/?clickid=3QR3Ib27lyA-VkBRJwyGuQJeUkhUQvX5r0tLzQ0&utm_term=252901&utm_content=VigLink&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_source=impactradius&irgwc=1
May 4, 2009 at 8:30 AM Post #34 of 37
Quote:

The HD600 probably won't satisfy a borderline basshead.

The D2000 does have more impact, especially noticeable on things like bass drum hits. The D2000 lets you know each time the bass drum goes thump. The HD600 can let the bass drum get lost to the point that you have to specifically listen for the bass drum to notice it on some songs. The D2000 also has more "tickle" factor when the bass gets going.

The HD600 is more defined in the bass. Especially noticeable on something like "Flight Of The Cosmic Hippo" by Bela Fleck and the Flecktones. That song is all about the bass. With the HD600 you can clearly hear the playing style in the bass, finger plucking, how the notes bend, a little rattle on the frets. With the D2000 those details are noticeably less defined, bass lingers longer and is slower to decay which ends up blurring details. The details are still there but you have to listen through the blurry slow decay to hear them. The blurriness also seems to make the initial attack of a bass note (like a finger pluck) less sharp. The advantage to the D2000 is the tickle factor with the bass and it goes noticeably lower.

For the majority of rock music the details in the bass playing aren't important. How often do you notice finger plucking style on the bass with rock? The more important matter is that the bass is there and is thumpy.

The bigger problem though with the D2000 is a recessed midrange. Vocals can be recessed and distant rather than being front and center. It can sound like the mixing engineer completely got it wrong. This can affect the fun factor of some rock music. Recessed vocals and midrange can suck the fun out of a song. For example, some songs by Scorpions suffer on the D2000 and have no fun factor. Scorpions sound much more fun on the HD600. Other rock songs can sound fun on the D2000 and don't suffer. The problem with the recessed midrange sucking the fun out depends on the song/band and can even vary for songs on the same album. It also depends on how loud you play the headphones. At low volume the mids are more recessed.

The D2000 right now is a mixed bag. Working very very well for some music/songs and not so well with others.

I have not yet modded the D2000. I will at some point soon. At first the dynamat then possibly stuffing the ear pads.

If I was forced to have only one of my home headphones it would be the HD600 (or the HD580 it sounds identical to me). The D2000 would go.

May 4, 2009 at 10:28 AM Post #35 of 37
Quote:

To my ears the impact of the D2000 and HD580/600 bass are more or less the same. Drums pounder equal with the D2000 and the HD580/600 in my setup.
Quality and definition of the Senn bass is much better.

I think Ham Sandwich has summed it up quite well in his post above. I concur with all his findings.

May 4, 2009 at 12:08 PM Post #36 of 37
The D2000 really needs some modifications to really shine. A darker-sounding cable and the markl mod are necessary to bring this thing to an acceptable level. The stock D2000 cable is utterly terrible, not only for the SQ but for their tendency to tangle and make a mess of everything.

My only problem with the modded D2000 is the occasional sibilance which strangely only occurs on some recordings. It's definitely less forgiving in this department compared to the HD600.

May 4, 2009 at 1:48 PM Post #37 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by TubeStack /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Emelius: Good lord, where did you get that avatar? I feel funny and tingly inside... LOL

her name is Nikki Belucci...apparently, she sings...

& i'm sticking to my guns...if we're talking stock and those are the only two choices, i'd definitely go for the senns...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back