Denon AH-D2000 or Sennheiser 600's - help out a Nub
Apr 29, 2009 at 4:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 37

Exciter

New Head-Fier
Hello head-fi'ers,
I know these questions have been asked before but after using the search button, and reading this site for weeks, I still don't have my clear answer.

Thanks to many posts on here, I've narrowed my search down to either the Denon AH-D2000, or the Sennheiser 600's (possibly the 650's).

Am I wrong thinking most here say the D-2000's are more "fun" or catered to rock music whereas the 600's are more "clean" and silky smooth?

Specifically, I'm going to listen to mostly rock/electronic (think Depeche Mode style), as well as using them for gaming (COD4/5)

The answers I'm looking for are basically:

1) Do I NEED an amp to drive either of these, or will plugging them into my computer (music)/z-5500's (gaming) be sufficient?

2) Which one delivers better bass? (I'm guessing the D2000's)

3) Which set is best for rock/electronic type music and/or gaming?

4) Would you say $250(US) is a good price for either of these on Ebay?

I'm sorry to be asking noobish type questions but I've come here admitting that I don't know enough to make an informed decision, as well as respect for many of the members that I've enjoyed reading posts from over the last month. I was leaning towards the D2000's, but so many on here have good things to say about the 600's. I've learned a lot on head-fi, but not quite enough to decide between these two so any help is much appreciated.
Thanks guys....

Apr 29, 2009 at 5:14 PM Post #2 of 37
Unless you are willing to mod the D2000's and re-cable them I would go with the HD600's.

I have both the D5000's (modded) and the HD600's and its still a hard choice on which one I like better overall. While the HD600's have an overall warmer and balanced sound I still enjoy the D5000's energy even if they are a little bright\sibilant at times.

The HD600's, while sounding good right out of any old HP jack will make leaps and bounds with a good amp. The D5000's also sound great right out of a computer and are easier to drive then the HD600's but will also sound allot better with an amp. With the D5000's I would only recommend a good solid state amp as every tube amp I have listened to with them makes the bottom end to muddy.

The D5000's definitely have better bass but not by as much as you would think (at least after modded).

For most rock, I enjoy the D5000's more because they can be a funner headphone to listen to.

I also like the D5000's (only if they are modded!!!!) better for gaming.

Apr 29, 2009 at 5:27 PM Post #3 of 37
1. definitely you need an amp for both of them to sound good but HD600 without an amp sounds like crap although the d5000 sounds better without one
wink.gif

2.without amp d5000 , with a good amp HD 600
wink.gif

3.for electronic and rock d5000, for gaming Hd600, but HD600 with a good amp crushes d5000
wink.gif

Apr 29, 2009 at 5:31 PM Post #4 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by eroarex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
1. definitely you need an amp for both of them to sound good but HD600 without an amp sounds like crap although the d5000 sounds better without one
wink.gif

2.without amp d5000 , with a good amp HD 600
wink.gif

3.for electronic and rock d5000, for gaming Hd600, but HD600 with a good amp crushes d5000
wink.gif

Are you speaking from experience or just repeating what you have read on these forums? Because neither headphone sounds like crap even out of an Ipod, although a good amp will improve both and is recommended.

Apr 29, 2009 at 5:34 PM Post #5 of 37
i do believe you are wrong
wink.gif

hd600 do sounds like crap from an ipod hp so ... nevermind
wink.gif

i don't recall telling smth about d5000 ... although this one sounds pretty good form hp
wink.gif

and not as bad as the hd600
wink.gif

Apr 29, 2009 at 6:08 PM Post #6 of 37
first off, I prefer the 600 to the 650. ive heard all, amped and not. I have similar musical taste as you. Pretty much all cans sound better when amped, depending on the amp. However, the Senns really need an amp to drive them properly. when underpowered, they just flatten out a bit. the Denon 2000 is much easier to drive, and will sound nice even out of an ipod dock. amping will only improve the already good sound.

I also think that the denon 2k is better balanced overall when stock. I like it better even then the 5k or 7k. that is strictly my opinion. The senn 600 is a fantastic can, but I would need to recable it with a silver blend, and amp it to get the sparkle I want on top. Again, a Great can, but ends up costing a lot in the long run for me.

So, I say Get the Denon 2000, OR...... wait just a little more, and try to hear the new shure 840. its cheaper, and could possibly give the denon a run for the money according to the few reviews so far. truthfully, at this level, all these cans are great, so you wont hate any of them.

Apr 29, 2009 at 6:34 PM Post #7 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by eroarex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i do believe you are wrong
wink.gif

hd600 do sounds like crap from an ipod hp so ... nevermind
wink.gif

i don't recall telling smth about d5000 ... although this one sounds pretty good form hp
wink.gif

and not as bad as the hd600
wink.gif

I don't know whether to kiss you or tell you to go to ****.
tongue.gif

Apr 29, 2009 at 6:35 PM Post #8 of 37
1) Do I NEED an amp to drive either of these, or will plugging them into my computer (music)/z-5500's (gaming) be sufficient?
HD600 require an amp, D2000 can do without it.

IMO bass-wise: HD600 without amp < D2000 without amp < D2000 with amp < HD600 amped < D2000 Markl modded and amped (I can't say where D2000 Markl modded unamped would place here as I have not enough experience with such config)

D2000 will sound better with good quality recordings but may be harsh with poor material (applies for gaming as well). HD600 are more reliable in that aspect, I find them less fatiguing during longer gaming sessions.

Apr 29, 2009 at 6:56 PM Post #9 of 37
I own both heaphones. I bought HD600 several years ago, and acquired the D2000s last year.

Considering the HD600s 300ohm impedance, I would highly recommend an amp for them. Most computers will have a hard time driving them to sufficient levels. D2000 will benefit from an amp when it comes to dynamics. However, I believe you should go for a DAC/amp to bypass your computer's soundcard. If you drive them directly from the computer, you will lose a lot of details.

Definitely the D2000. They have got a punch that cannot be compared to the HD600s soft and laidback bass. I find the HD600 fantastic on jazz, but they make rock (and metal) sound boring.

D2000. For that kind of music, you will probably not like the HD600s relaxed style.

4) Would you say $250(US) is a good price for either of these on Ebay?

Sounds like a bargain to me. And save up some more money for a DAC/amp to truly appreciate what the headphones you choose have to offer.

Apr 30, 2009 at 4:47 AM Post #11 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Exciter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for all the input guys, you've really helped me decide to go with the D2000's. Cohiba, is there a DAC/amp you recommend?

I use the Total Bithead ($159) and am really impressed by the detailed, dynamic and noise free sound I get. I think it is an excellent entry level DAC/amp. I am curious about the Pico ($500), though. If my D2000s can sound that impressive with an inexpensive amp, I wonder what an upgrade might have to offer. Anyway. I recommend the Total Bithead
normal_smile .gif

Oh, and, as mentioned in other threads, the D2000 seem to go best with solid state amps, so stay away from the tubes.

Apr 30, 2009 at 4:59 AM Post #12 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cohiba /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I use the Total Bithead ($159) and am really impressed by the detailed, dynamic and noise free sound I get. I think it is an excellent entry level DAC/amp. I am curious about the Pico ($500), though. If my D2000s can sound that impressive with an inexpensive amp, I wonder what an upgrade might have to offer. Anyway. I recommend the Total Bithead
normal_smile .gif

Oh, and, as mentioned in other threads, the D2000 seem to go best with solid state amps, so stay away from the tubes.

Where did this generalization come from?

Apr 30, 2009 at 5:00 AM Post #13 of 37
I have heard the d2000 out of the head-direct EF1, and it kicks A**. its a hybrid amp, and will be my amp of choice if I get the d2000's. great synergy. Skylab did a review a while back, check it out.

Apr 30, 2009 at 5:21 AM Post #14 of 37
Considering your current situation/needs, I'd recommend the Denon.

Apr 30, 2009 at 6:33 AM Post #15 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by moonboy403 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Where did this generalization come from?

I've heard the D2000 before with a tube amp. I dig the midrange but it sounded muddy and a bit bottom-heavy. There's also an audible but slight hissing which I guess is due to its low impedance.

Now I've arrived at the conclusion that a warm SS amp will suit the Denon the best.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back