Denon AH-D2000 first thoughts.
Mar 23, 2012 at 6:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

mikkelmmk93

100+ Head-Fier
Hi fellow Head-Fi'ers.

I finally got my Denon AH-D2000
And I must say that I am not that impressed as I thought I would be.
I have not yet heard better treble resolution from them compared to my Phonak Audeo PFE 122.
But this could be because I lack a DAC.
But now a question arises, how should I equalise it to fit movies?
I would like to have a rich and full sound from the dialouge, and that's whats missing atm.

Mar 23, 2012 at 7:15 PM Post #2 of 23
What is your source? Are you listening directly from an onboard sound card from a pc?

The only thing that d2k needs to sound great is the fiio e10...

Mar 23, 2012 at 7:31 PM Post #3 of 23
You need a decent source. If you're using onboard you'll have poor sound quality. 

Mar 23, 2012 at 8:01 PM Post #4 of 23
You will need a nice source (USB DAC, soundcard etc) and I've heard those require an amp to really sing. I used to have a pair before I got my amp and I found the same as you with films. The mids seemed really sucked out to me which made dialogue harder to hear. I'm not sure if that gets better with amping, someone else will have to address that.

Mar 23, 2012 at 8:03 PM Post #5 of 23
Most movies are mastered with extremely high dynamic range.  The actual dialogue is quiet while the special effects and/or music can be pretty loud.  It's a problem even the flattest of speakers will have.  You can try to see if the movies or movie player has a dynamic range compressor.

As for no improvement in the treble, getting a better dac can go a long ways, but it'd help to tell your current dac.  The actual recordings you use go a long way too.  

Mar 24, 2012 at 10:31 AM Post #7 of 23
wow, thanks for all the replies! I just love this community!!
My source is my onboard sound chip: Realtek ALC889.

As for the movies, I can easily hear the mids, I just feel that they are not so full in the sound, as in they are a bit flat, lacks som depth (as in lower end) to them.
Btw, if your motherboard has Dolby Home Theater on it, then try the surround mode for headset, set it to full and go see the first 20 seconds of Transformers 3. WOW!

Mar 24, 2012 at 10:49 AM Post #12 of 23
Well, I just tested some movies again and found that I might have might just been used to having some more of the lower end voices form my 5.1 setup.
and that my preferences for movies just arent how it really should sound, so I am now trying not to be used to that anymore.

Mar 24, 2012 at 10:59 AM Post #13 of 23
If it can help, i have the exact same feeling, and the exact same soundcard. The only difference is that i got D5000.

Thread here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/601869/denon-d5000-which-amp-dac

Mar 24, 2012 at 12:43 PM Post #15 of 23
I'd like to inject some reality here. If the OP is happy with the performance of his Audeo IEMs, he should be happy with a full size headphone with similar properties. An upgrade in source will not make any difference between the two headphones. Both are sensitive and have low impedance so amp will not make a significant difference either. To be clear, a source upgrade will benefit both headphones in the same way.

The answer to everything on Head-fi is always to buy something, it seems. Don't allow yourself to be drawn in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back