Denon AH-D2000 First impresssion
Mar 12, 2009 at 9:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

Gensou

100+ Head-Fier
I've never had a good pair of headphones so this "review" probably won't help anyone. This is my first pair of good headphones and I'm running them from onboard unamped. I am planning to be getting a sound card soon though.

Bought the denons for $211.
First time I saw them in person they seemed very elegant and durable..that they are. They are a bit on the heavy side but the comfortableness makes up for the weight. The cushion pad things are very soft and the earphones engulf my whole ear. They are very very comfortable and I usually forget that I have the on after a period of time whilst listening to music. The wiring is splendid, it looks very durable and the cables are wrapped with some sort of cloth fabric..almost reminds me of a thick rope. There are wires to each can as you can see in pictures that then merge together into 1 cable, the primary cable that plugs into your source is very durable ( that is very important to me since I sometimes roll over the wire with my swively chair ). They do not fold, so if you want to have portable headphones.. I don't think these are for you. Down to sound, the bass sounds a bit "farty" to me and I plan on doing the markl mod in the future to tighten up the bass a bit. Sound stage is very big, highs and mids sound good to me. Before I had these headphones I thought the bass was going to be clear and had that "oomph" that could make you feel the bass in your chest/stomach..I sort of like that type of thing..but only if it's not "farty". The MSRP for these headphones are 349.99 and I got them brand new for $211. I think I got a good deal and these are very well worth the money.

I am sorry if some of the things I wrote sounded silly to you but I've never really done a review before and of course I've never really had good headphones.

I went from some crappy $10 logitech behind-the-head headset to my Fender headphones ( came with guitar starter pack ) once the logitechs broke. After a year or two my fenders broke and I had to use speakers ( ugh ) for a couple months, I then go these Denons. I am so happy.

I am looking to get an amp..without breaking the bank and/or getting a nice budget sound card..so I will take any sort of recommendations.

Thank you for reading.

ITT: Noob talking about things he has no clue about.

Mar 12, 2009 at 10:18 PM Post #3 of 24
that cloth wire cover got annoying real quick after it starts to get twisted into strange shapes. the bass problem is only apparent at loud volumes so do your ears a favor and keep it down. the only headphone ive tested so far that had "oomph" in your face bass is ultrasone and it gets tiring after a while. at that price you wont be able to do do much better on a easy going headphone thats not fatiguing.its sits pretty loose on the head, just make sure it doesnt fall off.

Mar 12, 2009 at 10:27 PM Post #4 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by as.we.proceed /img/forum/go_quote.gif
that cloth wire cover got annoying real quick after it starts to get twisted into strange shapes. the bass problem is only apparent at loud volumes so do your ears a favor and keep it down. the only headphone ive tested so far that had "oomph" in your face bass is ultrasone and it gets tiring after a while. at that price you wont be able to do do much better on a easy going headphone thats not fatiguing.its sits pretty loose on the head, just make sure it doesnt fall off.

I think my head is pretty big because it's actually not that lose on my head. It wobbles when I shake my head but they're not falling off..not like I'll be head-banging with them on..

Quote:

Originally Posted by moomooemu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
where did you buy yours from? thats a pretty good deal

This thread. http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/get...hipped-413451/
They're sold out now.

Mar 12, 2009 at 11:43 PM Post #5 of 24
Gensou, without breaking the bank, you said? hmmmm

today I got the MF XPSU V8 (power supply) for my X-CAN V8P. WoW! The D2000's soundstage exploded! Couldn't recommend this option more! if you are UK-based, MF products maybe more affordable than overseas!

the other good thing is that you can upgrade in stages; First get XCAN V8, then XPSU V8, then mod the XCAN V8....

Mar 13, 2009 at 2:24 PM Post #7 of 24
I received my D2000s yesterday from the deal Gensou posted. They sound great so far with no break in... but they are far less forgiving of poorly recorded material than my HD580s are.

If you are looking for an inexpensive hybrid amp look into the Litte Dot I+. Its what I am using with my D2000s and they sound great. You can also get into tube rolling and look for the rolling thread dedicated to the LDI+... its fun and can change the sound signature.

Mar 13, 2009 at 11:09 PM Post #8 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by lowlevelowl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I received my D2000s yesterday from the deal Gensou posted. They sound great so far with no break in... but they are far less forgiving of poorly recorded material than my HD580s are.

Yeah, the music I ripped off youtube sounded terrible with these headphones. but the 320, v0 mp3s sound nice and FLAC is even better.

My friend might give me his creative soundblaster audigy SE..I think it would be better than onboard, no?

Mar 14, 2009 at 8:00 AM Post #10 of 24
These headphones get good volume and sound out of almost anything. Comparing my cowon D2 to a 400$ yamaha receiver HP out. It's within 5% of SQ to me.

bass is fine for me
smily_headphones1.gif
, a little much, but it's good at medium volumes. I think headphone users are too used to lacking bass, or boomy overpower bass. Denon dikd this right, it sounds like a subwoofer to me. Highs are too much at times tho, depends on the recording. They make low bitrate 160k> sound pretty bad, it depends on the recording.

For best bang/buck, get the Asus Xonar STX. It's a really good soundcard. It has a high quality DAC circuitry and good amp section, both being comparable to about 500$ DAC/AMP combos. There is a long-winded thread about it on the head-fi computer audio section.

Mar 14, 2009 at 8:56 AM Post #11 of 24
I get can play these on full volume on my Clip and it isn't very loud, I have to really turn it up on my computer in order to get a good volume. Maybe it just needs more burn in but it's low to me. Sounds amazing though.

Mar 14, 2009 at 2:44 PM Post #12 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bradan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
These headphones get good volume and sound out of almost anything. Comparing my cowon D2 to a 400$ yamaha receiver HP out. It's within 5% of SQ to me.

bass is fine for me
smily_headphones1.gif
, a little much, but it's good at medium volumes. I think headphone users are too used to lacking bass, or boomy overpower bass. Denon dikd this right, it sounds like a subwoofer to me. Highs are too much at times tho, depends on the recording. They make low bitrate 160k> sound pretty bad, it depends on the recording.

For best bang/buck, get the Asus Xonar STX. It's a really good soundcard. It has a high quality DAC circuitry and good amp section, both being comparable to about 500$ DAC/AMP combos. There is a long-winded thread about it on the head-fi computer audio section.

Thanks for the suggestion, will look into it.
Quote:

Originally Posted by npcraig /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I get can play these on full volume on my Clip and it isn't very loud, I have to really turn it up on my computer in order to get a good volume. Maybe it just needs more burn in but it's low to me. Sounds amazing though.

You fried my brain a little.

Mar 14, 2009 at 5:30 PM Post #13 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bradan /img/forum/go_quote.gif

do you speak from experience or from reading threads hyping the xonar?

Mar 14, 2009 at 10:59 PM Post #14 of 24
Just a small question. My friend is offering me his old sound card for $10.

It's a Creative Sound Blaster Audigy X-Fi (PCI). Is it worth it to spend $10 on it and will I notice any improvement over my onboard 7.1 Channel, Azalia (HD Audio) ?

Thank you.

Mar 14, 2009 at 11:53 PM Post #15 of 24
Only 10 bucks go try it out :p Intersted to know :p No such thing as Audigy X-Fi... its either Audigy or X-Fi...
Audigy (from 2001) still have plenty of cheaper versions from lower end value series to pro series same applies to X-Fi (from 2005).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back