Denon AH-D2000 amps thread
Jul 11, 2008 at 6:28 PM Post #16 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gradofan2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have never been able to find it for the v3 either. Sometimes, I contact the venodor / mfr to obtain it.

Try contacting the MF US Service Center at:

rick.walker@musicalfidelityusa.com

He's at KEF USA, which has contracted with MF to provide their service.

But... I think the v3s output impedance is a bit higher than the v8s. My PF v3 seemed to struggle just a bit with Grados (low impedance), whereas my v8 didn't. But... my v8 struggled a bit with my Senns (mod high impedance), but my v3 didn't - impedance matching varies between these two amps.

Seriously, it's not the impedance matching. Don't get caught up on it; you're not likely to find any solid-state amp that IS higher than a couple of Ohms; they're all way below any headphone load.

Impedance matching is a lot more common to tube amps as they can either be transformer coupled (definitely output impedance matching) or OTL in which case the tube should just be able to drive the load and that means matching tubes to design.

Chances are the reason your V8 drives Grado easier is because it has higher output current capability where as the V3 likely has higher voltage swing.

Jul 13, 2008 at 7:28 PM Post #18 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikha /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What about DarkVoice or Meier Corda?

You have reading disability ? Scroll up and you find Pataburd's post about Darkvoice 337. Darkvoice 332 is said to be somewhat inferior to 337, but the difference (as stated by Mazuuki) is less than 10 %. Considering how much cheaper it is than 337 it is pretty good option. You can also PM Gradofan2 and ask for more input, since he owns Darkvoice 332 as well.

Jul 13, 2008 at 9:50 PM Post #19 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikha /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What about DarkVoice or Meier Corda?

I'm willing to bet that the 336i may even be better suited than the 337 (or more versatile), due to the 6SN7 driver which I think will serve the D2000 well--or at least better, in general, than the 6SJ7.

Jul 14, 2008 at 7:04 AM Post #21 of 27
I meant other DV models, so don't be mad
wink.gif
As for Meier, its interesting to read something about Arietta, Cantate, Opera with D2000. My purpose is to review most popular amps for Denon D2000 in this topic, so i ask users to post here their opinions.

Jul 14, 2008 at 7:41 AM Post #22 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by pataburd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm willing to bet that the 336i may even be better suited than the 337 (or more versatile), due to the 6SN7 driver which I think will serve the D2000 well--or at least better, in general, than the 6SJ7.

My D2000 sounds quite good with the DV336i using Sylvania VT-231 in the 6SN7 spot, and JAN CRC RCA 6AS7G in the rear. Other great tubes with the D2000 are (front) RCA grey glass VT-231 and Sylvania Bad Boy. (For Grado I use Tung Sol 5998 rear and Hytron brown-base 5692 front (or JAN CRC RCA 5692).

The D2000 also really shine with the Woo WA6 (Amperex Bugle Boy GZ34 rear, Sylvania 6DE7 front) and with my TTVJ Portable Millet Hybrid.

Jul 21, 2008 at 12:07 AM Post #24 of 27
I own Lisa III (default gain), and I can report that the combo isn't really working. Because D2000 is low impedance with higher sensitivity, and I notice a lot of distortions that I don't found when I paired K701/HD650 to Lisa III. However, certainly Lisa III bring the D2000 sound to higher level than my previous amps (check my sigs), too bad it just not meant to be partnered.

Jul 21, 2008 at 3:36 AM Post #25 of 27
Singlepower MPX3

1. Bass is both tight and accurate, good decay. Treble is sparkly, can be very pronounced at times. Good soundstage, most noticeable in front to back. Very nice articulation in particular tracks. Not terribly fast, but can be somewhat snappy with higher-energy genres.

2. Rock and all of its deviations, jazz, acoustic, trance.

4. 25%-30% improvement over my straight-from-0404 setup.

5. I paid $725, retail was $1,200 last I heard.

6. Denon likes tubes just as much as solid-state from my experience. I have listened to D5000's on a Meier Opera, and while it sounded decent, I definitely prefer my D2/MPX3 rig. In my experience the D2000 is a headphone that has grown on me. I was first using it with an E-MU 0404 and didn't think much of it. Adding a Singlepower to the mix has really made this pair shine. Just for extra reference, I'm using Tung Sol 5687's in my output (SLAM config.) and a Ken-Rad VT-231 for my gain.

Aug 1, 2008 at 7:26 AM Post #26 of 27
What is better for Denon D2000: Creative E-MU 0404 USB or Upgraded ZERO DAC or Audiotrak Dr.Dac2? In terms of getting maximum overall sound quality of course. Sound card as a source.

Aug 5, 2008 at 6:43 PM Post #27 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by rds /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Impedance matching is usually done to improve efficiency. What makes you think it is "all that matters" for amplifiers?

If I remember correctly the Xcan v8 has an output impedance of 2 ohms. That is very far from being matched even to the lowest impedance phones out there. So I take it you mean that the lower the output impedance the better. In that case my Cmoy has an output impedance of of 0.5 ohms, so it must be even better than the Xcan v8.
biggrin.gif

Out of interest, if a regular hi-fi amp outputs 6 ohms, does that apply for the headphone output and the speaker output?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back