Denon AH-D1100 Modding
Jan 21, 2013 at 7:38 PM Post #31 of 45
Quote:
Does anyone know if there are "improved" cups for the AH-D1100, like wooded ear cups?
Or at least something better then the stock cups.

Nobody that I can think of.  I mean, plenty for the higher end ones but I'm really not sure the AH-D1100 is worth upgrading to wood cups.  Now what might make a difference would be to try using some audio filling to cut down on the bass and perhaps make the edge of the soundstage more diffuse.

Jan 23, 2013 at 11:22 AM Post #32 of 45
My Ugly Blue Tac mod...
tongue_smile.gif

1) First i took an old leather wallet...cut leather to shape of cups..and double side taped it to the cups.

2) Roll the blue tac and stick around the edge of the cups...

3) The only part i took special care, is the part of the blue tac that will fit over the BASS PORT above the driver:
i make sure  only about HALF the bass port will be covered by the bluetac when i closed up the covers.
If the bass port is fully covered, there is some echoey sound to the bass..
but if u let out some air, the bass gain some clarity  without losing much of the punch n weight :p

4) Finally i take some scotchgard i found in my storeroom, n spray over the creakkkky joints...
and in a few secs the can is very quiet when i move my jaws..or yawn :p

5) will take 10mins of actual work......(but made dozens of nonsensical 10min attempts)

Jan 24, 2013 at 11:16 AM Post #33 of 45
Has anybody tried doing a sort of markl mod to these?  I think that's what it's called - the mods people were pulling on their D2000s and D5000s with dynamat, etc?  Seems like these might be a good candidate for that, unless I'm completely wrong in my understanding of what the mod changes (tighter bass, more forward mids).

Jan 28, 2013 at 7:51 PM Post #34 of 45
Turns out, there is not nearly enough room in the earcups for any serious amount of dynamat.  What I did end up doing was putting just a small square of the stuff directly under the 'bass ports' (I'm assuming that's what they are), and I think this made an immediate improvement in the bass department.  I can't speak to whether it hits harder or not (meaning, not too much difference as far as I'm concerned), but those often annoying bass frequencies that muddied up everything else are now much more under control.  Much, much happier with the sound this way.

Jan 29, 2013 at 12:02 PM Post #35 of 45
After some longer listening - I noticed that there is still a slight frequency range hump in the bass regions.  I think the dynamat narrowed the range, but increased its ferocity and resonance somehow.  It's only been noticeable for me in 1 out of 25 songs I've listened to, but it's quite unpleasant.  

Jan 29, 2013 at 6:38 PM Post #36 of 45
Quote:
Has anybody tried doing a sort of markl mod to these?  I think that's what it's called - the mods people were pulling on their D2000s and D5000s with dynamat, etc?  Seems like these might be a good candidate for that, unless I'm completely wrong in my understanding of what the mod changes (tighter bass, more forward mids).

Quote:
Turns out, there is not nearly enough room in the earcups for any serious amount of dynamat.  What I did end up doing was putting just a small square of the stuff directly under the 'bass ports' (I'm assuming that's what they are), and I think this made an immediate improvement in the bass department.  I can't speak to whether it hits harder or not (meaning, not too much difference as far as I'm concerned), but those often annoying bass frequencies that muddied up everything else are now much more under control.  Much, much happier with the sound this way.

Quote:
After some longer listening - I noticed that there is still a slight frequency range hump in the bass regions.  I think the dynamat narrowed the range, but increased its ferocity and resonance somehow.  It's only been noticeable for me in 1 out of 25 songs I've listened to, but it's quite unpleasant.  

Hey, thanks for reviving this thread.  I think your first mod was very similar to what I did.  I would love to see a graph on it to see how it compares to stock, but that probably isn't happening.  Anyway, I still felt like there was quite a bit of extra bass even after the mod.  I think it may have taken it down maybe 7-10 db, but that still leaves a lot of room to where it would be flat.

Jul 23, 2013 at 1:22 PM Post #38 of 45
I wasn't expecting much from this simple mod, but it really does tighten up the bass and makes room for the mids. Add a touch of treble from my E17 and i'm getting the sound i'd hoped for in genres like metal core where a muddy bass can ruin everything.

Thanks! :)

Jul 26, 2013 at 2:19 PM Post #39 of 45
Wow, also really surprised how pronounced of an effect this mod makes. As everyone else has mentioned, it curbs the overwhelming sub-bass and gives the mids and highs more room. I used three layers of blue painters masking tape and the mod took about 5 minutes start to finish. I'm using these with a Fiio E11.

I'll also add that I replaced the plug on this set with a right angled Neutrik plug. It wasn't a planned upgrade but a fellow traveler snapped the original off when I had them plugged into an airplane armrest so I had to do some repair. I didn't expect any change in sq, and I don't know if I could say for sure, but I definitely feel like the highs became a tiny bit more sparkly. 

great tip! thanks!

Sep 13, 2013 at 1:46 PM Post #40 of 45
So I've got a pair of AHD1100s, and yesterday my friend's dog chewed through the cabling just after the Y junction on the leads.

What are my options? I've called Denon, no change of a new pair, I called their repair service and it would cost me more than the headphones were.

I'm okay at soldering, is there a new wiring harness I could buy somewhere? Or am I as well just soldering another end wire to the existing cable?

Or do I have another option I haven't considered?

Thanks!

Sep 13, 2013 at 4:40 PM Post #41 of 45
  So I've got a pair of AHD1100s, and yesterday my friend's dog chewed through the cabling just after the Y junction on the leads.

What are my options? I've called Denon, no change of a new pair, I called their repair service and it would cost me more than the headphones were.

I'm okay at soldering, is there a new wiring harness I could buy somewhere? Or am I as well just soldering another end wire to the existing cable?

Or do I have another option I haven't considered?

Thanks!

No possibility of a new wiring harness.  That being said, completely recabling or just resoldering at the break point shouldn't be too hard.

Sep 14, 2013 at 1:06 PM Post #43 of 45
There are definitely lots of threads available about re-cabling.

If it were me, I would take the chance to tinker and go for a full re-cable. I'm pretty sure that the majority of head-fiers would suggest that, instead of investing more money in these, you would be better off saving your money for upgraded cans. That said, you are in a Denon D1100 thread. I had a great experience with my D1100 because I got them for a decent price ($80USD) and they were the first headphones that had a significantly bigger soundstage than I had experienced and that was pretty much a revelation for me. 

If you're interested in modding then this sounds like a great project. There are a ton of options for wiring and it has much to do with your preferences (i.e. flexibility, price, and even looks). Sleeving, braiding, and termination are all a matter of personal choice as well. I, personally, would aim to spend about $25 on a project like this and I think you should easily be able to pick up the supplies you need for that or even less.  

I'm sure you can answer a lot of your questions here:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/613759/first-timer-newbie-headphone-recabling-supplies-questions

And find reasonably priced supplies here at either of these sites:

http://www.redco.com

http://www.homegrownaudio.com

Good luck!

Sep 14, 2013 at 1:33 PM Post #44 of 45
  There are definitely lots of threads available about re-cabling.

If it were me, I would take the chance to tinker and go for a full re-cable. I'm pretty sure that the majority of head-fiers would suggest that, instead of investing more money in these, you would be better off saving your money for upgraded cans. That said, you are in a Denon D1100 thread. I had a great experience with my D1100 because I got them for a decent price ($80USD) and they were the first headphones that had a significantly bigger soundstage than I had experienced and that was pretty much a revelation for me. 

If you're interested in modding then this sounds like a great project. There are a ton of options for wiring and it has much to do with your preferences (i.e. flexibility, price, and even looks). Sleeving, braiding, and termination are all a matter of personal choice as well. I, personally, would aim to spend about $25 on a project like this and I think you should easily be able to pick up the supplies you need for that or even less.  

I'm sure you can answer a lot of your questions here:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/613759/first-timer-newbie-headphone-recabling-supplies-questions

And find reasonably priced supplies here at either of these sites:

http://www.redco.com

http://www.homegrownaudio.com

Good luck!

I got my pair for (supposedly) 50% off RRP, £60. I'd say for that price they're damn good as an everyday pair. I've got a pair of Grado SR225i's for home and hi fi use, the Denon's are mostly outdoor, and seeing as they're totally useless now I'm as well trying and getting them back to full working order.

Thanks for the links you provided, I should've searched for wiring threads but I'm totally inexperienced with headphone wiring and thought it was maybe somewhat more proprietary than that.

Do you know of any good companies similar to the ones you linked but based in the UK?

Sep 14, 2013 at 1:58 PM Post #45 of 45
totally agree, I think they're much better than many people give them credit for. 

I think these guys are UK based?

http://www.qables.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back