Denon AH-C300 Urban Raver Impressions
Jan 27, 2014 at 7:11 PM Post #92 of 144
I'm soon joining the fray :) have ordered a pair of C301 for a long time now, my sister was keeping them as hostages. I might receive them this week, I can only hope that the waiting will be worth the effort.

I need them to get to work on a review, dang! And also I need my bass injection, I can't wait to set them against my other rigs!

Jan 28, 2014 at 5:32 AM Post #93 of 144
I'm soon joining the fray :) have ordered a pair of C301 for a long time now, my sister was keeping them as hostages. I might receive them this week, I can only hope that the waiting will be worth the effort.

I need them to get to work on a review, dang! And also I need my bass injection, I can't wait to set them against my other rigs!

Looking forward to your review, hope you enjoy them!

I would like to know about the "speed" of the bass (I'm not a true audiophile so not sure of the correct term).
I listen to fairly quick music such as DnB, Jungle and Hard dance so I would like to know if the bass can essentially keep up with the fast, yet low freq beats.

I've heard before that generally dynamic drivers are better at delivering massive amounts of bass but they're not as crisp and as "quick" as balanced armature drivers. Can anyone clarify this?

I'm coming from a pair of X10s so I like to have a lot of low end impact but with detail and good "speed" too :)

Jan 28, 2014 at 4:57 PM Post #94 of 144
I would like to know about the "speed" of the bass (I'm not a true audiophile so not sure of the correct term).
I listen to fairly quick music such as DnB, Jungle and Hard dance so I would like to know if the bass can essentially keep up with the fast, yet low freq beats.

I've heard before that generally dynamic drivers are better at delivering massive amounts of bass but they're not as crisp and as "quick" as balanced armature drivers. Can anyone clarify this?

I'm coming from a pair of X10s so I like to have a lot of low end impact but with detail and good "speed" too
smily_headphones1.gif

I think the C300 has your name on it. As a basshead I've noticed single driver configurations often have difficulty reproducing higher frequencies when the lower ones are boosted as it becomes "slower". Since the Urban Raver has two drivers it is able to split some of the bandwidth to give you that extended, low end impact while retaining detailed, neutral mids and sparkly highs...I'm also a fan of DnB(along with Dubstep and EDM) and these Denons are very engaging- you will want to dance because it's like going to the club every time you put them in your ears. 

Jan 31, 2014 at 7:29 PM Post #95 of 144
Originally Posted by Alberto01 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I gave some impressions about the highs in this post:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/624637/denon-ah-c300-urban-raver-impressions/60#post_10082020

But, I have not yet posted my definitive impressions for the AH-C300.  They are still settling on my hearing and fortunately in a good way.  I have discovered that the reason for treble sounding hot (harsh and cheap) when there is one or more spikes between 2kHz  and 5kHz in the FR graph, is the overall treble being dry.  That is exactly how my AH-C300 sounded in the first few hundred hours of use.  If the treble loosens up and gets better decay, those spikes do not sound nearly as bad.  That is exactly what is happening now with my AH-C300.  Those cheap sounding lower highs are not cheap anymore.  Let's see how far the improvement goes.

Are we talking about driver or cable burn in here?  I don't know.  I just know that I listen to the R-50 as a reference of what a very good treble should sound like.  Getting used to the R-50 sound and going back to the AH-C300 was quite a disappointment at first.  It isn't anymore and also, I don't find myself lowering the volume of the 2.5-5kHz range in all recordings, like I did when they just had about 100 working hours.  The change here is similar to what happened with this cable:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005AWT9IM/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Right out of the box, the treble was harsh and dry.  It was bad enough when compared to my printer cable to make me realize that different makes of USB cables can and do sound different.  It was bad enough to make me think that cable burn in could be a reality.  But, I had to wait and see what my hearing would say.  Fortunately, after several hundred working hours the dryness and therefore the harshness went away.  Still, my printer cable has the better treble decay and it seems like it will always be that way.  This Pangea USB cable is better in other ways and I prefer one over the other depending on the earphones used and other components of the audio chain.  I can't wait to have the chance to run a blind test with these cables and post the results.

I would be very happy if the AH-C300 treble changes as much as the Pangea USB cable treble did.  Let's see what happens before posting my final impressions on the AH-C300.

The treble keeps changing for the better!  Now, I can EQ up the 3-5kHz range and there is more sparkle on the highs without added harshness/fatigue because the treble is not as dry as it used to be due to an increase in treble decay.  I don't want to remember how painful snares and toms sounded before.  Any tracks with a lot of snare and tom activity were very hard to bear with the AH-C300.  It is not that way anymore.  They don't sound very good yet, but they are far from sounding terrible.  If the treble changes as much as the Pangea USB cable treble did, my AH-C300 are going to be awesome.  They are already a pair of $150 IEMs after 300+ hours.  The Pangea USB cable treble took about as long to change this much and did not stop there. This makes me think that the AH-C300 treble might keep getting better, too.  

Bass and mids seem to sound about the same as they did right out of the box.  But, they were already good on first listen.

Again, let's see what happens before posting my final impressions.

I am changing, too!  Listening to ROMANS 5:17 and related material is making a big difference.

Feb 4, 2014 at 11:41 AM Post #97 of 144
I'll be the next in line to post my impressions I guess, I finally received my C301! What surprises me is that I heard alost exactly what was said on this thread about them, but hey I needto listen more to them. I'm also surprised at how much bass these in-ear can produce without amp, and with amp, even the flat freq with the ZO is NOT flat... 

I will tell you more about it later. But anyway, I like those beastly boys.

Feb 4, 2014 at 1:32 PM Post #98 of 144
  I'll be the next in line to post my impressions I guess, I finally received my C301! What surprises me is that I heard alost exactly what was said on this thread about them, but hey I needto listen more to them. I'm also surprised at how much bass these in-ear can produce without amp, and with amp, even the flat freq with the ZO is NOT flat... 

Thank you, we look forward to hearing more :)

Feb 6, 2014 at 1:10 PM Post #99 of 144
  I'll be the next in line to post my impressions I guess, I finally received my C301! What surprises me is that I heard almost exactly what was said on this thread about them, but hey I needto listen more to them. I'm also surprised at how much bass these in-ear can produce without amp, and with amp, even the flat freq with the ZO is NOT flat... 

When I am involved in group description processes, I encourage and ask everybody involved to reach whatever level of accuracy is required for the description to be effective.  With headphones, detailed descriptions are quite useful because of the big differences in sound preferences and sound flaws tolerances among people.

My AH-C300 are now sounding like a $185-$200 pair of bass heavy IEMs.  At 350+ working hours, the treble keeps moving away from being dry.  Changes are subtle.  But, small changes make the difference between audio haven and having our ears complain from sound indigestion.  The best amp for my C300 used to be the one with the most treble.  Now, the best amp is a different one because all of my amps are producing good highs with my C300.  But, there is more.  I have noticed that the bass has tightened up enough to let me raise the 50kHz and 55kHz EQ sliders higher.  Before, raising those sliders higher, resulted in a disorderly rumble and no added punch.  That was wrong!  Now, raising those sliders adds noticeable punch and some orderly (or perhaps tolerable) rumble to the mix.

Overall, the way my C300 were sounding before, made me wonder if the big price drop from $200+ to $80- came with a downgrade in some part of the design.  With the actual sound, it is hard to think about a downgrade involved in the price drop.

I have placed my AH-C300 back into listener absent work.  My listening time is on average about 1.5 hour per day.  So, adding 100 working hours would take about 67 days in normal mode!

I am glad that my final impressions can't be turned in yet for my AH-C300 pair! 
L3000.gif

Feb 9, 2014 at 2:43 PM Post #100 of 144
Now, my AH-C300 have around 400 hours.  By the way they sound, it seems like they have already reached their mature sound.  I wish for more changes in the treble.  But, bass, mids and highs all sound very defined and clean, and no part of the sound spectrum sounds cheap.  Because of this, I am thinking that they might not change much from here on.  I hope that I am wrong!  Let's see.  Still, if nothing more changes, my AH-C300 sound already like $250 earphones.  Now, I am going to stop listening to my AH-C300 and I will listen only to my R-50 for several days to see how much of this welcome change is due to brain adaptation.  I have been keeping myself in check by alternating the AH-C300 with the R-50.  And indeed, I am convinced that a big change in the AH-C300 sound has taken place with more working hours.  But, I will take this check further by listening to the R-50 only for several days.  After then, I will listen to the AH-C300 again and deliver my final impressions.

I will also keep listening to ROMANS 5:17.  Changes will surely take place after more working hours with this verse. 

Feb 10, 2014 at 3:42 PM Post #101 of 144
So what's the difference between C301 and C300?
The Denon UK's URL to C301 actually has "ahc300" in it. Weird.
http://www.denon.co.uk/uk/product/pages/product-detail.aspx?catid=headphones&subid=urbanraver&productid=ahc300

Feb 10, 2014 at 4:21 PM Post #102 of 144
http://www.denon.co.uk/uk/product/pages/product-detail.aspx?catid=headphones&subid=urbanraver&productid=ahc300

See here:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/689023/denon-ah-c300-and-denon-ah-c301-any-difference#post_9953677

They seem to be the same earphones.  To erase any doubt in your mind, just ask DENON personnel about it.

Feb 10, 2014 at 5:15 PM Post #103 of 144

sometimes us versions will have slightly different model numbers to the EU. its most likely the same, but it doesn hurt to ask them.

Feb 10, 2014 at 6:52 PM Post #104 of 144

See here:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/689023/denon-ah-c300-and-denon-ah-c301-any-difference#post_9953677

They seem to be the same earphones.  To erase any doubt in your mind, just ask DENON personnel about it.

Also, in that link that you provided from DENON UK there are other models that usually end in 0 in other places and here they end in 1 instead of 0, just like the AH-D400 and the AH-D401.  It seems pretty obvious to me, that the models that end in 0 in the US are identical to the ones that end in 1 in the UK.  See here:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Denon-Headphones-Integrated-Microphone-Compatible-Black-Blue/dp/B00B6YYJ9M

http://www.amazon.com/Denon-AH-D400-RaverTM-Over-Ear-Headphones/dp/B00858I51U

Feb 19, 2014 at 2:05 PM Post #105 of 144
Hi,

I lost my apple earpods last week and been in search of new in ear phones. After searching a lot of threads and |jokers| reviews finalized with 

Denon AH C300 - 50$

ATH IM 50 - 65$

ATH IM 70 - 100$

RHA MA 750I - 130$

I will be using these only for listening to music and watching movies in my nexus 4 and hp laptop. And i will be listening to all kinds of music,  but more inclined towads songs with sub-bass. Considering Denon AH C300  has a current groupon deal for 50$ i am confused on what to buy. The serious doubt i have is what details and clarity will i be missing in Denon AH C300  when compared to other three. So, is it worth spending extra 80$ (if it is 750i) . Can any one please suggest which one to go. And i will be using my earphones almost 12-13 hrs a day. And if any of the three gonna make huge difference in my listening experience by spending extra 80$ i am looking forward to go for.

Any help is truly appreciated..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back