Denon AH-C300 Urban Raver Impressions
Dec 15, 2013 at 11:27 PM Post #48 of 144
Update from my initial impressions:  These have become my "Go To" dailies.  I wear them every day.  

For me, here's how I got a good fit: Remove the stabilizers, find tips that fit (medium soft for me), and voila, you're good to go.  The Stabilizers are not necessary, and really you'll only notice that an argument could me made for them if you use the "answer call" button on the right ear piece... Without the stabilizer on that side, it pushes against your ear canal a bit... I just grab around the ear piece with my thumb and middle finger, pushing the button with the index finger... Problem solved.

Yes, these stick out and look funny... Who here cares about that?  lol.  

Impressions with the Fiio E12 Mont Blanc and Denon AH-C300: Absolutely amazing.  This amplifier turns these great headphones into the best headphones at their price point.  The bass gets richer and fuller, the sound becomes more balanced, and it's really enjoyable to listen to for hours.  

Warning: you won't hear ANYTHING around you while wearing these with proper seals :)  No need to buy noise canceling headphones!

Dec 17, 2013 at 10:02 PM Post #49 of 144

I just ordered a pair and I was planing on using them with a galaxy s4 active and a fiio e17. Do you guys think that would be a good combination?

Absolutely. I'm running mine directly out of the S4 and it sounds awesome...like the hammer of Thor beating on your eardrums 
basshead.gif

Dec 17, 2013 at 10:06 PM Post #50 of 144

Absolutely. I'm running mine directly out of the S4 and it sounds awesome...like the hammer of Thor beating on your eardrums 
basshead.gif

But in a good sorta way :)  The S4's great so you should get some decent sound from it... But if you coupled that with the Fiio E12 Mont Blanc, and you'll be blown away when you flick the Bass Booster switch... 

Dec 17, 2013 at 10:21 PM Post #51 of 144
Hey Paul (ShooterMacG) and markjohnsonii!:

I joined the bandwagon and got me a pair of these.  They already have more than 50 hours of use since I got them.  How long is the burn in for these and what changes should I expect as a result of the burn in period?

The first thing that I did when I opened the box, was to remove the ear stabilizers.  If you don't need them, don't use them.  My ears ergonomics match very well with the AH-C300 shape, size and weight.  I have medium size ears, but big (or very big) ear canals.  These feel better than normal IEMs on my ears and they hold their place very nicely when I am using them.  There is no need whatsoever for the ear stabilizers, which also make the AH-C300 look like an ear inspection device from your ear doctor. HA, HA.

Dec 17, 2013 at 10:27 PM Post #52 of 144

But in a good sorta way :)  The S4's great so you should get some decent sound from it... But if you coupled that with the Fiio E12 Mont Blanc, and you'll be blown away when you flick the Bass Booster switch... 

Exactly! I have a ZO2 as well but at this point I think the "nuclear option" is off the table, lol.

The only bad comment that I have read on the sound quality of the AH-C300 is here in this thread.  It is from Eugguy saying that these have sharp treble.  From all other comments online, and I have searched quite deeply, it seems like these have an awesome sound even for audiophiles.  It seems like everything on their sound profile ranges between very good and excellent.  That makes me wonder why don't we see more reviews and comments as compared to other IEMs for which there are more negative reviews.  In other words, if these are so awesome, why aren't more people buying them even taking the risk of not getting a good fit and having to sell them later or just putting them away?  An awesome sound is worth the risk.  Something doesn't fit in this picture.  There aren't enough people raving about how good these sound, but everyone that tries them seems to find them awesome in SQ.  That doesn't fit.

I had the same problem- there definitely aren't many reviews on these. You know what's funny is when I read someone's impressions and they're saying "too much bass" my interest is immediately piqued, hahah. No idea why these aren't more popular- delicious bass, clear mids, forward treble, intimate soundstage and an overall warm, cohesive sound makes for a very engaging experience for a confessed basshead such as myself. There seems to be very little compromise here- for $72 it was money well spent.  

Dec 17, 2013 at 10:29 PM Post #53 of 144
  Hey Paul (ShooterMacG) and markjohnsonii!:

I joined the bandwagon and got me a pair of these.  They already have more than 50 hours of use since I got them.  How long is the burn in for these and what changes should I expect as a result of the burn in period?

The first thing that I did when I opened the box, was to remove the ear stabilizers.  If you don't need them, don't use them.  My ears ergonomics match very well with the AH-C300 shape, size and weight.  I have medium size ears, but big (or very big) ear canals.  They feel better than normal IEMs on my ears and they hold their place very nicely when I am using them.  There is no need whatsoever for the ear stabilizers that make them look like an ear inspection device from your ear doctor. HA, HA.

The biggest change I found after extended burn-in time is when I use the amp with them.  They sound more relaxed and richer when coupled with the Fiio amp... They can handle it better.

Dec 18, 2013 at 9:32 AM Post #54 of 144
  The biggest change I found after extended burn-in time is when I use the amp with them.  They sound more relaxed and richer when coupled with the Fiio amp... They can handle it better.

I didn't find too much difference after burn-in. 
But you can reduce the base levels by using the solid silicon plugs or by not wearing the supports,  add the supports and you'll see how much more base there is.

Dec 18, 2013 at 10:10 AM Post #55 of 144
  I didn't find too much difference after burn-in. 
But you can reduce the base levels by using the solid silicon plugs or by not wearing the supports,  add the supports and you'll see how much more base there is.

Hmmm.. I disagree about both of your comments.  1. People have said repeatedly that these get better with proper burn-in time, and I have experienced this first hand.   2. Most people don't get a good fit with the supports, which is the main compliant among buyers, and thus their bass will be diminished.  Your experience is definitely a statistical outlier from the average user experience.

Dec 18, 2013 at 10:25 AM Post #56 of 144
  Hmmm.. I disagree about both of your comments.  1. People have said repeatedly that these get better with proper burn-in time, and I have experienced this first hand.   2. Most people don't get a good fit with the supports, which is the main compliant among buyers, and thus their bass will be diminished.  Your experience is definitely a statistical outlier from the average user experience.

1 I said "I didn't find too much difference after burn-in", the reason is... I have quite a few  IEMs and I've bought their big brothers (Denon ah-c400 my current favorite iems), so I don't use the 300's frequently enough to notice much difference. I never said there wasn't a difference...you get what I'd saying?

2 I use the large tips, when the supports are in they lie very close to the tips, which expands them, helping me get a better seal.

Dec 18, 2013 at 10:53 AM Post #57 of 144
Hey markjohnsonii, you're using the S4 as well, correct? Do you EQ? After listening to several tracks I think I heard the dip shown in the Golden Ears graph Alberto posted- since this seems to make certain details in that range sound slightly soft/recessed so I bumped the 500-1000hz range up about 5db in Neutron. It now sounds a lot better, much fuller and complete. It might be compensating for fitment but I'm not sure. Still, as an EDM listener I'm loving these things almost more than my CK1000s...they're definitely something to rave about
L3000.gif
(sorry, couldn't resist) 

a5a89c69f887fb5fc0721b6e97bdeb78.png

Dec 18, 2013 at 12:14 PM Post #58 of 144
Hey Euphonik:

How do these compare to the FX700, FXZ200, CKS77X and the CKS1000?

Please provide a comparison between the AH-C300 and each of those. A lot of people will be looking at your comparison for a long time.

I will provide more graph information on the AH-C300, later.

Dec 18, 2013 at 3:04 PM Post #59 of 144

Short answer: If you like a lot of bass- very favorably(especially for the price). 

I'll elaborate more this weekend when I have time to do a good comparison. 

Dec 18, 2013 at 3:50 PM Post #60 of 144

Short answer: If you like a lot of bass- very favorably(especially for the price). 

I'll elaborate more this weekend when I have time to do a good comparison. 

OK. I will be looking forward to read your comparisons. Please, make them without considering price differences. Our ears don't care about "good for the price" reflections and our wallets are not fit to enjoy the sound our ears like.

My ears like a lot of bass and hate muddy/bassy mids at the same time. That is why I asked you to compare the AH-C300 only to other bass heavy IEMs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back