Denon AH-C 551 or Shure SE110 ?
Jun 28, 2008 at 11:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

div

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I wanted to buy a present for my little brother for his birthday. He loves music, never goes out without his MP3 and he has crappy earbuds in my opinion.

So I thought i might buy him some proper in-ear phones...

I don´t want him to wear something like etymotics, I think they go too deep into the ear... and especialy for a 14 years old kid.

Well my decision came up to either one of them, Shure SE110 or Denon Ah-C 551. Which one would you recommend?

Regards

Jun 28, 2008 at 1:52 PM Post #2 of 17
Get the Denon's ... there's absolutely no contest.

I used to have Shure se210's and thought they were pretty good (certainly a step up from stock buds) but once I started listening to the Denon's there was no going back. I now think they sound awful, and find them uncomfortable.

The Denon's have great bass, but the highs can seem a bit grainy and fatiguing ... but for the price they are still excellent.

I'm sure other people will come up with alternative IEM suggestions, but if it's between the two that you've mentioned it definately has to be the Denons.

Jun 28, 2008 at 2:28 PM Post #3 of 17
I can´t think of any other ones , that i could buy here in germany for a reasonable price. The UE super.fi 3 might be too big for him (sticking out of the ear)

Other options i could get in this online shop - JBL Reference 220, vmoda vibe or Jays J-Jays ... but i don´t think any of those are better than the ones written above...

edit// Creative Aurvana also could be count in ...

Jun 28, 2008 at 6:04 PM Post #4 of 17
No contest C551 will trounce SE110 in every aspects except isolation :p. They are not fatiguing imo, even after several hours of listening with them. I also have JBL 220 which is ok as a beater xD, but the treble can be bothering some time (depend on songs), bass is there, but not as good as C551, comfortable, i like the wire on this, good case (i can put my Ipod Touch + 1/8 to 1/4 converter, extra tips, etc in it =D). Tried also Vmoda, same with JBL the treble can be a bit of problem, but this sure has a punchier bass than JBL. For Jays, i don't have any experience with them =(. All in all C551 still on top of the list =)

Jun 28, 2008 at 7:34 PM Post #5 of 17
Thanks for your input.
smily_headphones1.gif

Anyone know anything about the aurvana ? I´ve tried the search but ended up with the headphone not the in-ear one... I heard it has 2 drivers/side ...

Jul 1, 2008 at 10:21 AM Post #6 of 17
i think they renamed them. they were called "aurvana zen" and now they are "aurvana in-ear". Once you google the latter you will see a match taking to the product page
I use Creative EP630 and Aurvana are supposed to sound better but I have not tried them. I like EP630 though, great sound for the price, maybe a little harsh, but not too bad, and if using outdoor I am not so picky as I become when listening to music at home.

Aug 11, 2008 at 11:51 AM Post #8 of 17
Hello fellow kiwi guy, I'd rather go for the Head-Direct RE2's tbh as factoring in shipping, it's better value than the C-551's. C551's = great bass though under the right conditions.

RE2 considered by many here to be better than the ER6i's.

Aug 11, 2008 at 7:08 PM Post #10 of 17
You can get the RE2 directly from head-direct.com. $99 and free shipping. I recently received my pair which replaced my Ety ER6i. They come in a nice watch box with single and bi-flange ear tips of various sizes.

So far I've gone about 30-40 hours into them, and they are sounding great.

If you're a basshead though these might not be the ones for you. Fairly analytical, but better bass response than the ER6i. And overall better soundstage, and sound quality as well.

I also got some Comply T400 foam tips, as they offer a little better isolation, and a slight bass boast (probably because of better fit). I used to be a basshead (still am to a small degree) but these phones offer me enough bass without sacrificing great overall sound quality.

Aug 11, 2008 at 8:18 PM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by fuzzylogic76 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can get the RE2 directly from head-direct.com. $99 and free shipping. I recently received my pair which replaced my Ety ER6i. They come in a nice watch box with single and bi-flange ear tips of various sizes.

So far I've gone about 30-40 hours into them, and they are sounding great.

If you're a basshead though these might not be the ones for you. Fairly analytical, but better bass response than the ER6i. And overall better soundstage, and sound quality as well.

I also got some Comply T400 foam tips, as they offer a little better isolation, and a slight bass boast (probably because of better fit). I used to be a basshead (still am to a small degree) but these phones offer me enough bass without sacrificing great overall sound quality.

Adding a Fiio amp gives even wider soundstage, boosts the lack of bass inherent in it and makes it slightly more analytical on the RE2.

Aug 11, 2008 at 9:22 PM Post #12 of 17
I listen to classical and jazz, mostly. Is that US$99. Sounds pretty good... I don't have a credit card, though. Should get one soon. It's harder for international students like me, though. Anyway, I've got a good deal on 551s at the moment, so I might get those first, TradeMe them later, then get the RE2s when I manage to get a credit card. Did you order the Complys from the UK resellers or direct from Comply US?
'Cos shipping from the UK to us is cheaper, but after the forex, they might be more expensive anyway. I suppose we're deviated from the post topic...heh.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back