Denon AH-7200
Mar 20, 2017 at 5:46 PM Post #706 of 3,156
So my NAD D7050 just went retard after I stupidly decided to update to the 1.66fw... I Turn it on and then it decides to start a never ending cycle with off and on. Fyi, Anyone have a 220v older fw?

Anyways wondering about getting the Denon pma-50 and a pair of 7200's, since the pma-50 has the same spec as the d7050 on the speaker part and I used the nad for a pair of old b&w P5's that worked well (chair shakes on -5 "2x50w")

Can't find much info on the pma-50 in here tho..!? And I have not personally demoed it, any opinions about how it would work with the 7200's?

I own a pair of ah-d2000 which lies in a box with broken headband, ofc.
Replaced by Fidelio x2 and some mostly portable m50x that I bought after watching the Z **** all over it on YouTube and I had to know for myself. I think he was wrong btw.. great sound for the price. (I paid 40$)

Iw read what I could find about the pma50 and I think it at least looks good reviewed and spec..
and yeah the P5's tweeters FINALLY burned totally out "spontaneously" and I odered some vifa tweets (peerless) that many said was a good replacement (exept that one EXPERT that was sure it had a whole lot of wrong hz up his a,h to even work without killing you. And ofc he had never tried for himself either..) they where cheap and im to lazy to clean the old tweeters and replace the ferofluid myself.

So, pma-50 + ah-d7200 ?

Thank god they finally made a good headband mechanism.

Emo out.

I'm sure it will sound great since these don't even need an amp to sound good.

Mar 20, 2017 at 6:07 PM Post #707 of 3,156
I hereby confirm that the Beyerdynamic T1/T5P 2nd generation balanced XLR 4-PIN cable fits the AH-D7200 perfectly. It's a 7N copper cable like the original cable that came with the D7200. 

And boy does it improve the headphone. No, not because the cable sounds but because now the whole amp unit is working for this headphone. I waited too long, It's even better now. 

Mar 20, 2017 at 6:39 PM Post #708 of 3,156
I hereby confirm that the Beyerdynamic T1/T5P 2nd generation balanced XLR 4-PIN cable fits the AH-D7200 perfectly. It's a 7N copper cable like the original cable that came with the D7200. 

And boy does it improve the headphone. No, not because the cable sounds but because now the whole amp unit is working for this headphone. I waited too long, It's even better now. 

Hmm, now you made to consider getting this balanced cable for my Jotunheim...
I have one with HD650 and it did improve the sound quality.
I guess I need one for the D7200 as well :wink:

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Mar 21, 2017 at 1:04 AM Post #714 of 3,156

This cable has stereo plugs while the D7200 one only has mono plugs. Isn't that a problem?
Also, it has a locking mechanism. Is that the same as the small recess you have with the D7200 that makes the plugs click-in or another mechanism (twist, screw, ...)?

Mar 21, 2017 at 1:11 AM Post #715 of 3,156
  My review runs 3.27 in the D7200. Sent it over  to Denon today

Glad to see the well needed upcoming review of these nice hp's.

Enjoyed site's recent reviews of oBravo HAMT-1, Violectric V280, and Electrostatic Extravaganza with 4 super stats.

Frank, not sure if it's available, but any chance for a review on oBravo HRIB-1, please ?

Mar 21, 2017 at 4:20 AM Post #717 of 3,156
Hey had a second long listening session with the D7200s.

I think I was just very hyped when I listened to them the first time, because I did not enjoy them as much. Everything sounded just right for me except for the treble. It doesn't sound sibilant, but it's very present, almost too present, so the D7200s can sound very hot on a few songs, and get quite fatiguing to listen to.

I found a good alternative to the Denons, that has a little less detail and imaging (by about ~5%): Audeze EL-8 Open Back (2016 revision). If anyone has the opportunity, I strongly suggest you audition both these cans together. The results may surprise you.

Mar 21, 2017 at 5:14 AM Post #718 of 3,156

This cable has stereo plugs while the D7200 one only has mono plugs. Isn't that a problem?
Also, it has a locking mechanism. Is that the same as the small recess you have with the D7200 that makes the plugs click-in or another mechanism (twist, screw, ...)?

it actually plugs in very fine, nothing's loose or dropping out. Balanced cables of the 7100 also have stereo plugs (SE mono plugs of course) and they fit the D7200 as well. 

Mar 21, 2017 at 6:10 AM Post #719 of 3,156
Hey had a second long listening session with the D7200s.

I think I was just very hyped when I listened to them the first time, because I did not enjoy them as much. Everything sounded just right for me except for the treble. It doesn't sound sibilant, but it's very present, almost too present, so the D7200s can sound very hot on a few songs, and get quite fatiguing to listen to.

I found a good alternative to the Denons, that has a little less detail and imaging (by about ~5%): Audeze EL-8 Open Back (2016 revision). If anyone has the opportunity, I strongly suggest you audition both these cans together. The results may surprise you.

Those weren't fully burned in then. Because the treble smooths out after the drivers loosen up. I find the treble on the 7200 to be nearly identical to the Shure 1540 after full burn in. And very few people would describe those as having hot treble.

Mar 21, 2017 at 7:31 AM Post #720 of 3,156
Those weren't fully burned in then. Because the treble smooths out after the drivers loosen up. I find the treble on the 7200 to be nearly identical to the Shure 1540 after full burn in. And very few people would describe those as having hot treble.

Interesting. Ive owned the shure 1540 haha. I hope the 7200 sounds better than the damn ether c flow. Wasnt impressed one bit with the ether c flow. I prefered the sony z1r .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back