Denon AH-7200
Feb 11, 2017 at 1:18 AM Post #452 of 3,155
The D7200 also sounds harsher than the HD650. But again, I am comparing to one extremely warm set of HPs.
D7200 definitely doesn't have that harshness and sibilant feel of the T90. But the T90 is not the best mstch for the Jot and can easily get fatiguing fast.

D7200 is also clearer sounding than the HD650.

Can't comment on the sound stage yet. Didn't pay much attention to it and the music I have listened to with them so far wasn't the best for evaluating in this regard.
I need to mention this again: D7200 is nicely balanced, not once I felt an instrument or voice is too pronounced or undetectable.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Feb 11, 2017 at 1:24 AM Post #453 of 3,155
Biocellulose drivers also need some time playing. At 150 hours they will sound better than out of the box. Between 150 to 300 hours they should reach near their peak performance.

Feb 11, 2017 at 1:26 AM Post #454 of 3,155
The midrange sounds very nice.
It is definitely there. Linear. It isn't pushed back. Less of a V or U shape I was expecting.
But at the same time, lows manage to go lower and highs a little bit higher as well.
HD650 might be easier to listen to for a longer period of time.
But this is just such a small difference. D7200 in no way is going to be fatiguing.

Feb 11, 2017 at 1:46 AM Post #456 of 3,155
The mids are a tiny bit more recessed compared to the HD650. 5% maybe? This is highly subjective.
They do sound like technologically better HPs, but not 2x better. There isn't definite preference so far for me.
I can't stress this enough, very limited experience with HPs here...

Feb 11, 2017 at 12:02 PM Post #457 of 3,155
The mids are a tiny bit more recessed compared to the HD650. 5% maybe? This is highly subjective.
They do sound like technologically better HPs, but not 2x better. There isn't definite preference so far for me.

It's not surprising when you find the HD650 mid present. Unlike D7200 and many other headphones, HD650s have rolled off treble, which makes them less fatiguing and perhaps "veiled" sounding. Also due to the nature of open acoustic headphones, it's hard to make the bass extend low without distortions.
D7200s have the bass and treble present though not overly done, so the mid range will feel slightly pushed back unevidently. It's actually less V shaped then I expected coming from the Denon/Fostex line.

Feb 11, 2017 at 12:43 PM Post #458 of 3,155

It's not surprising when you find the HD650 mid present. Unlike D7200 and many other headphones, HD650s have rolled off treble, which makes them less fatiguing and perhaps "veiled" sounding. Also due to the nature of open acoustic headphones, it's hard to make the bass extend low without distortions.
D7200s have the bass and treble present though not overly done, so the mid range will feel slightly pushed back unevidently. It's actually less V shaped then I expected coming from the Denon/Fostex line.

You are right.
Another thing I have noticed: D7200 is a bit faster. Drums don't linger around. Again it's a tiny difference, but it is there. As a result the Denons have a bigger impact. This goes for the lows as well. You can hear a bigger physical bass impact compared to hd650s. I guess this is primarily the side effect of the semi open cans.
D7200 is a more dynamic HP as well.
These aren't a bass head HPs, even though they have a just right amount of bass.
I have never heard any of the other Fostex, E-mu or Denons but based on what I have read I believe D7200 are less V shaped than let's say a TH900 or X00. Which most likely means less impact in bass, less treble spike and more present mids.
Very balanced HPs...

Feb 11, 2017 at 2:43 PM Post #459 of 3,155
I was leaning toward the MrSpeakers Aeon, though they won't be shipped 'til April. I wonder if there will be review models floating about that can be directly compared to the 7200.

Feb 11, 2017 at 3:08 PM Post #460 of 3,155
I was leaning toward the MrSpeakers Aeon, though they won't be shipped 'til April. I wonder if there will be review models floating about that can be directly compared to the 7200.

Very unlikely at least for some time.
Both HPs are new, Aeons have not been even realesed yet.
The major difference we already know about is the sound leakage. Aeons will isolate better.

Feb 12, 2017 at 2:30 AM Post #461 of 3,155
Here is the comparison review you have been waiting for!

As you may already know, for 2017, Denon has come back for vengeance with the new flagship AH-D7200 over-ear headphones to complement the portable AH-MM400. The design is markedly similar to that of the good ol’ Fostex-made AH-D7000, immediately striking a chord of nostalgia within me. But the bigger question is, how does it compare with Fostex’s own flagship, the TH-900, which the first all-Denon AH-D7100 failed to beat? I’ll try to answer that question for you.
For reference, here are the Denon/Fostex headphones I’ve owned until now:
Denon: AH-D5000/D7000, AH-D600/D7100, AH-D7200
Fostex: TH-600, TH-900mk1
I’ll be comparing the D7200 and the TH-900 on all possible aspects, with the Sennheiser HD800 as a sanity check. Everything will be plugged into a TEAC UD-301 DAC/Amp. All of my music is at least 320kbps MP3, mostly 16/44.1 FLAC and one DSD 2.8 album, ranging from soundtrack, pop, vocal to heavy metal. My TH-900 is modded with Denon style ear-conforming earpads and a Furutech 3.5mm jack.

BUILD & AESTHETICS
No contest here – the Denon is much more well-built and sturdier. The frame that holds the earcups are much bigger and the screws aren’t exposed like on the TH-900. Fostex owners are all too familiar with the screws potentially falling off on their headphones, there won’t be such an issue with the D7200. The headband adjustments clicks a little louder on the D7200 which is satisfying. However, as I’ve noted before, the range isn’t big, so long, thin heads like mine may not fit that well. The headband on the Denon is also more generously padded than that of the Fostex. From a physical tour, it’s pretty obvious which design is 10 years old. The only thing the TH-900 has going for it is the lacquer-clad wooden earcups, which is much more attractive under good lighting than the satin walnut earcups of the D7200.
Once on my head, the TH-900 is looser per Fostex traditions, while the Denon is tighter. If you headbang to anything while listening, you can stop reading now.

SOUND
1.     Bass

Denon/Fostex headphones are known for their bass, and these two are no exception. Both deliver clean yet impactful sub-bass rumble. The mid-bass is just as good as they don’t bleed into the midrange. The bass gives meat to the bass guitar and low-tuned distorted guitar riffs that are much needed to make a rock/metal song sound full. That said, I find the TH-900 to be warmer sounding on most occasions.

But which is better on bass? The Fostex has more rumble, while the Denon is tighter. In both cases, we’re talking about a less than 5% difference. If you’re coming from a bass-light pair, both of these will feel like subwoofers to your ears. I’d go for the Fostex for EDM-type bass and Denon for the actual instrument.

2.     Midrange
Both headphones are slightly V-shaped, but the Fostex is more so. This is made apparent on vocal songs a slightly busy backing track. The Denon gives the vocal a bit more intimacy in such songs. That said, I find the midrange on both to be natural without any weird coloration.

3.     Treble
Here is where the difference is more obvious. To me, the Fostex is noticeably brighter than the Denon, which means one thing: Sibilance. That is not to say the Denon is not sibilant, but the Fostex will shove it in your face more. Listening to high female voice and crash cymbal on the Fostex is sometimes downright painful and will distract you from the rest of the song. With the Denon, the harshness is there but less present, i.e. blends in with the music. On a scale of 1 to HD800 for sibilance, I’d say the TH-900 is 8.5 and the Denon is 7.5. Many people say the TH-900 is more forgiving than the T1 or HD800, I think that’s because the bass is more prominent and not because its treble is that much more relaxing.
Detail retrieval is good on both, I didn’t feel like I missed anything switching between them and the HD800, only certain sounds are less apparent coming from the Senn.

4.     Soundstaging – Imaging
Once again the differences are small. Both manage a decently large soundstage, which won’t compare to that of the HD800 or the new Sony MDR-Z1R, but is still enough to allow good instrument spacing. Imaging-wise, the TH-900 if more 3D-ish - left-right movement of sounds takes the headband route, while the D7200 goes more from ear to ear. Overall, not a big enough divergence to discuss much in details.

5.     Summary
Denon AH-D7200
Pros: Sturdy build, removable cable with non-proprietary plugs, big impactful bass, not-so-recessed midrange, non-fatiguing treble, great all-rounder. Didn’t try to break any pricing records (*cough* Focal *cough*)
Cons: Packaging still doesn’t match price, no headphone stand. Made in China (may be a con for some, I don’t mind it personally). Fit can be an issue. Occasionally lacks warmth. 2D soundstage,

Fostex TH-900
Pros: Nice packaging. Beautiful looks, lightweight and comfortable fit. Comes with a nice stand. Truly subwoofer-like bass impact and rumble, warm sound, great all-rounder. Made in Japan. Slightly more sensitive than the Denon.
Cons: Non-removable cable (fixed in mk2). Weak build, Recessed midrange. Bright and sibilant, not the most forgiving headphones. MSRP IMO is hardly justifiable past the earcups.

Truth be told, I had a hard time writing this up as the differences in most instances are very minuscule. The treble response is what separates the two most. If I could only buy one, I’d certainly choose the D7200 and use the $500 toward a nice amp. For me, the TH-900 doesn’t have enough going for it to justify such a huge price difference. It sounds almost as harsh as the HD800 on bad recording, yet falls way behind in airiness, soundstaging and imaging. The bass rumble is nice, but the D7200 does it almost as well and won’t judge you if you throw hot messes of MP3 at it. Again, we all head differently and like different things, so take all this with your own preferences in mind.

Feb 12, 2017 at 2:57 AM Post #462 of 3,155

As you may already know, for 2017, Denon has come back for vengeance with the new flagship AH-D7200 over-ear headphones to complement the portable AH-MM400. The design is markedly similar to that of the good ol’ Fostex-made AH-D7000, immediately striking a chord of nostalgia within me. But the bigger question is, how does it compare with Fostex’s own flagship, the TH-900, which the first all-Denon AH-D7100 failed to beat? I’ll try to answer that question for you.
I’ll be comparing the D7200 and the TH-900 on all possible aspects, with the Sennheiser HD800 as a sanity check. Everything will be plugged into a TEAC UD-301 DAC/Amp. All of my music is at least 320kbps MP3, mostly 16/44.1 FLAC and one DSD 2.8 album, ranging from soundtrack, pop, vocal to heavy metal. My TH-900 is modded with Denon style ear-conforming earpads and a Furutech 3.5mm jack.

BUILD & AESTHETICS
No contest here – the Denon is much more well-built and sturdier. The frame that holds the earcups are much bigger and the screws aren’t exposed like on the TH-900. Fostex owners are all too familiar with the screws potentially falling off on their headphones, there won’t be such an issue with the D7200. The headband adjustments clicks a little louder on the D7200 which is satisfying. However, as I’ve noted before, the range isn’t big, so long, thin heads like mine may not fit that well. The headband on the Denon is also more generously padded than that of the Fostex. From a physical tour, it’s pretty obvious which design is 10 years old. The only thing the TH-900 has going for it is the lacquer-clad wooden earcups, which is much more attractive under good lighting than the satin walnut earcups of the D7200.
Once on my head, the TH-900 is looser per Fostex traditions, while the Denon is tighter. If you headbang to anything while listening, you can stop reading now.

SOUND
1.     Bass

Denon/Fostex headphones are known for their bass, and these two are no exception. Both deliver clean yet impactful sub-bass rumble. The mid-bass is just as good as they don’t bleed into the midrange. The bass gives meat to the bass guitar and low-tuned distorted guitar riffs that are much needed to make a rock/metal song sound full. That said, I find the TH-900 to be warmer sounding on most occasions.

But which is better on bass? The Fostex has more rumble, while the Denon is tighter. In both cases, we’re talking about a less than 5% difference. If you’re coming from a bass-light pair, both of these will feel like subwoofers to your ears. I’d go for the Fostex for EDM-type bass and Denon for the actual instrument.

2.     Midrange
Both headphones are slightly V-shaped, but the Fostex is more so. This is made apparent on vocal songs a slightly busy backing track. The Denon gives the vocal a bit more intimacy in such songs. That said, I find the midrange on both to be natural without any weird coloration.

3.     Treble
Here is where the difference is more obvious. To me, the Fostex is noticeably brighter than the Denon, which means one thing: Sibilance. That is not to say the Denon is not sibilant, but the Fostex will shove it in your face more. Listening to high female voice and crash cymbal on the Fostex is sometimes downright painful and will distract you from the rest of the song. With the Denon, the harshness is there but less present, i.e. blends in with the music. On a scale of 1 to HD800 for sibilance, I’d say the TH-900 is 8.5 and the Denon is 7.5. Many people say the TH-900 is more forgiving than the T1 or HD800, I think that’s because the bass is more prominent and not because its treble is that much more relaxing.
Detail retrieval is good on both, I didn’t feel like I missed anything switching between them and the HD800, only certain sounds are less apparent coming from the Senn.

Once again the differences are small. Both manage a decently large soundstage, which won’t compare to that of the HD800 or the new Sony MDR-Z1R, but is still enough to allow good instrument spacing. Imaging-wise, the TH-900 if more 3D-ish - left-right movement of sounds takes the headband route, while the D7200 goes more from ear to ear. Overall, not a big enough divergence to discuss much in details.

5.     Summary
Denon AH-D7200
Pros: Sturdy build, removable cable with non-proprietary plugs, big impactful bass, not-so-recessed midrange, non-fatiguing treble, great all-rounder. Didn’t try to break any pricing records (*cough* Focal *cough*)
Cons: Packaging still doesn’t match price, no headphone stand. Made in China (may be a con for some, I don’t mind it personally). Fit can be an issue. Occasionally lacks warmth. 2D soundstage,

Fostex TH-900
Pros: Nice packaging. Beautiful looks, lightweight and comfortable fit. Comes with a nice stand. Truly subwoofer-like bass impact and rumble, warm sound, great all-rounder. Made in Japan. Slightly more sensitive than the Denon.
Cons: Non-removable cable (fixed in mk2). Weak build, Recessed midrange. Bright and sibilant, not the most forgiving headphones. MSRP IMO is hardly justifiable past the earcups.

Truth be told, I had a hard time writing this up as the differences in most instances are very minuscule. The treble response is what separates the two most. If I could only buy one, I’d certainly choose the D7200 and use the $500 toward a nice amp. For me, the TH-900 doesn’t have enough going for it to justify such a huge price difference. It sounds almost as harsh as the HD800 on bad recording, yet falls way behind in airiness, soundstaging and imaging. The bass rumble is nice, but the D7200 does it almost as well and won’t judge you if you throw hot messes of MP3 at it. Again, we all head differently and like different things, so take all this with your own preferences in mind.

Thanks for this.
Makes me feel even better about my blind purchase of the Denon.
Just subscribed to Tidal (180days free) and listening to Urban Flora EP by Alina Barack & Galimatias. Sounds so hypnotic, beautifull vocals.
How many hours of burn in?

Feb 12, 2017 at 2:59 AM Post #463 of 3,155

BUILD & AESTHETICS

SOUND
1.     Bass

2.     Midrange

3.     Treble

5.     Summary
Denon AH-D7200

Fostex TH-900

Thanks for this.
Makes me feel even better about my blind purchase of the Denon.
Just subscribed to Tidal (180days free) and listening to Urban Flora EP by Alina Barack & Galimatias. Sounds so hypnotic, beautifull vocals.
How many hours of burn in?

Whoops. Alina Baraz. :/

Feb 12, 2017 at 3:15 AM Post #464 of 3,155
Thanks for the review LinkPro

Feb 12, 2017 at 7:09 AM Post #465 of 3,155
+1. Nice job LinkPro.

I've written impressions before but never had the inclination to do a 'proper' review of a headphone. But might break my duck with the D7200 once I've had some more time with them.

But in the meantime I'll try and do a bullet point list with some short  impressions /observations (based on 50-60hrs or so of usage) when time permits.

What I will say is this is really quite a "grown up" (neutral-ish & non-peaky) sounding headphone with just a hint of fun downstairs. And the more I listen the more I appreciate the fine job Denon has done tuning them.

And if there isn't a Fostex heart beating below the skin I'll eat my hat :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back