Denon AH-7200
Feb 8, 2017 at 8:38 PM Post #421 of 3,155

Of course the downside when buying a newly released headphone is that you are often buying blind so the headphone you receive may not sound quite like you expected. In your case it sounds like they do to a greater extent but for me they're more of a departure.

I've given them a couple more evenings listening and I have to say I've gained a better appreciation of them. I think because I've been able to put my preconceived ideas /expectations to one side and simply appreciate them for what they are rather than what they are not. Ultimately though I don't think they are quite what I was looking for as a change of pace from my HE-560, so have decided to move them on and will likely replace them with one of the others I was looking at.  

3 days ago I had the D7200 boxed up and had taken photos with the plan of selling them. The problem was me and not the headphone so was careful not to suggest otherwise in case anyone got the wrong end of the stick. Had no doubts it was a good 'un.

Well within hours of boxing they were back on my head again for one more listen and haven't been off much since. And with each new listen they impress me more and I've come to like them a great deal. This is a very good pair of headphones and suffice it to say they're going nowhere :)

Feb 8, 2017 at 8:38 PM Post #422 of 3,155
So as promised I've got the TH900 in, albeit a little delayed. Shootout coming very soon. The TH900 is a used pair so I won't be doing any real burn in. It does have new Denon-style earpads on it instead of round Fostex ones. 

P/S: The guy who sold it to me is friends with the most prominent headphone enthusiast store in the country. He told me that if anything breaks except the earcups they can replace it, which blew my mind a little bit. LOL.

Feb 8, 2017 at 10:16 PM Post #423 of 3,155

Anxious to see your comparison findings.

Feb 8, 2017 at 11:26 PM Post #424 of 3,155
So as promised I've got the TH900 in, albeit a little delayed. Shootout coming very soon. The TH900 is a used pair so I won't be doing any real burn in. It does have new Denon-style earpads on it instead of round Fostex ones. 

P/S: The guy who sold it to me is friends with the most prominent headphone enthusiast store in the country. He told me that if anything breaks except the earcups they can replace it, which blew my mind a little bit. LOL.

Can't wait to hear your thoughts.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Feb 9, 2017 at 12:05 AM Post #425 of 3,155

You've got 'em lining up at the door now! I'm clearly in the second batch of Audio Sanctuary's customer dispatches (which is fine because I'm out of the country right now anyway) so it may be a while before I lay my hands on the new Denons, but in the meantime I'm dying to hear your impressions of these two pitted against each other.

Feb 9, 2017 at 3:22 AM Post #426 of 3,155
3 days ago I had the D7200 boxed up and had taken photos with the plan of selling them. The problem was me and not the headphone so was careful not to suggest otherwise in case anyone got the wrong end of the stick. Had no doubts it was a good 'un.

Well within hours of boxing they were back on my head again for one more listen and haven't been off much since. And with each new listen they impress me more and I've come to like them a great deal. This is a very good pair of headphones and suffice it to say they're going nowhere :)

Just over 140 hours on ours now and they sound dreamy.

Feb 9, 2017 at 4:30 AM Post #427 of 3,155
From Personal Experience with TH900 2 years ago.
D7200 has same size soundstage as TH900 and probably a little bit more detail retrieval. But that is from an experience 2 years ago so might not be a good reference.

Feb 9, 2017 at 4:30 AM Post #428 of 3,155
Just over 140 hours on ours now and they sound dreamy.

Good to hear!

I only have about 40 hours on mine but have to say they sound much better than they did out of the box. I've never really been a big believer in burn so much as mental adjustment and normally that happens within a few hours (2 to 5 tops), after which I hear little or no change.

These on the other hand seem to still be improving and the only other headphone I've experienced something similar with was my old Denon D2K which I felt took a good couple of hundred hours to really hit their stride.

Hopefully the D7200 will follow a similar trajectory but if even if they've now plateaued I'm not complaining. The view from here is lovely :wink:

Feb 9, 2017 at 6:22 PM Post #432 of 3,155
Yes. Had my eye on those. Based on owning Ether C's I expect the AEON's to be a winner. They are more affordable, lighter and better for using in and away from home. Should have jumped on the special price but was waiting for my AH-D7200 which now sit unopened in a closet till I make a decision to sell, trade or keep.

I was using the D7200 today in library. The leakage was not issue at all. Unless you crank the volume pot all the way up or if someone sits right next, it doesn't leak. I'm not sure about the isolation however.

Feb 9, 2017 at 6:40 PM Post #434 of 3,155
Could care less about leakage. My concern is good isolation from outside sound. A previous early buyer said they isolated good enough for him to use in a office environment and I thought worth a try. Should have waited for professional reviews. If my apartment complex was mostly quiet (which it isn't) noise isolation would not be such a big deal. If I could get out of rural redneck Arizona overflowing with raised loud pickup's and Harley Davidson's I'd have left years ago. Interestingly I have lived in LA, NYC, Miami, Philly and Atlanta and home noise was much less a problem (although that may have changed since I lived in those places). There is something about rednecks and internal combustion engines and loud noises that gives then a hard on. Don't know why. A subject for someone's PhD maybe : )

I had a brief listening on AEON during the CanJam. It didn't impress me as much as Ether Flow, but I did not find anything wrong with it. Good luck on finding your dream pair :)

Feb 9, 2017 at 6:42 PM Post #435 of 3,155
 How about the new Mr. Speakers AEON?
The reviews look good.

Yes. Had my eye on those. Based on owning Ether C's expect AEON's to be another winner. Not crazy about the look, but that's not important compared to fit, weight and SQ. AEON's come with lighter more flexible DUM cable, are more affordable, weigh less and are a better choice for using both in and outside the home. Should have jumped on special price offer but was waiting for the AH-D7200 to arrive and wasn't ready to open the wallet so soon after purchasing the Denon's which now sit unopened in a closet till I decide whether to sell, trade or keep. Waiting for professional reviews before I even think about breaking the seal and degrading resale value.

The Aeons are still on sale.
I just received the Denon as well and am in the same position as you...
Have the Aeons in the basket and trying to decide what to do.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back