Denon 5000 vs Senn HD650
Mar 28, 2012 at 2:39 PM Post #16 of 53

Quote:
Beat ya to it! Just pulled the trigger on the headphones :wink:
Now on to  the E10!
Thanks so much for all of your help, everyone. Especially you, MalVeauX!

!!!!!!!!! you took the last one! I just got on to order it from work and it's oos! haha guess I'll be keeping an eye on the akg k550 and this now.

Mar 28, 2012 at 2:54 PM Post #18 of 53
wink_face.gif
thanks once again for all the help guys.

Mar 28, 2012 at 3:51 PM Post #19 of 53
For those looking to Electronics Expo, just keep checking, I think they regularly get a few items back in stock.  That said, that's how I recently impulse picked up the 7000s for pretty cheap, a little over 500 new, just checked every 30 mins to an hour. 

And with that said, I don't have nice gear yet to drive the 7000s (since it was an impulse buy, haha), but I can drive them easily enough out of a Sansa Clip+.  Does it deliver what the 7000s are capable of, no, but it still sounds damn good, and it drives them just fine in the meantime and until I can get some better gear, so you should be fine to drive the 5000s.

Mar 28, 2012 at 3:56 PM Post #20 of 53
Can anyone tell me if the D5000 loses out in detail or imaging vs. the D2000/D7000 and is the D5000 just as good with a little more bass? I'm currently interested in these three cans as well.

Mar 28, 2012 at 4:18 PM Post #23 of 53

Quote:
Can anyone tell me if the D5000 loses out in detail or imaging vs. the D2000/D7000 and is the D5000 just as good with a little more bass? I'm currently interested in these three cans as well.

I find the imaging/detail to be roughly the same, the D7000 has the edge on being overall more fine. The D2k/5K are pretty much the same, though I found the D5K to have warmer bass, and slightly better mids. Same treble. The D7K is more flat sounding in general. But ultimately, imaging is about the same on all three, the designs are roughly the same in terms of driver placement, volume of cup and shape of pad.

Very best,

Mar 28, 2012 at 4:38 PM Post #24 of 53

Quote:
I find the imaging/detail to be roughly the same, the D7000 has the edge on being overall more fine. The D2k/5K are pretty much the same, though I found the D5K to have warmer bass, and slightly better mids. Same treble. The D7K is more flat sounding in general. But ultimately, imaging is about the same on all three, the designs are roughly the same in terms of driver placement, volume of cup and shape of pad.

Very best,

Thanks Mal. Can you comment on which sounds the most natural to your ears? Just speaking in terms of tonality/decay/timbre accuracy.

Mar 28, 2012 at 8:48 PM Post #26 of 53
MalVeauX gives great advice!! He has not steered me wrong yet. I was about the say: D5k plus Fiio e10 but he beat me to it and you've already ordered. Just get the e10 and you're set for some really nice mid-fi...

Mar 28, 2012 at 8:55 PM Post #27 of 53

Quote:
Thanks Mal. Can you comment on which sounds the most natural to your ears? Just speaking in terms of tonality/decay/timbre accuracy.

Heya,

For the D7K I'd have to use memory, which is faulty. But my perception of natural may be different from someone else's anyways. For reference, the HE500 is the most natural sounding headphone I've heard and is my primary open-back headphone. The D2K/5K have slower decay probably. The D7K has less apparent low end, it decays quicker, has more neutral tonality as appropriate and it's tone is relatively nature, with a small hint of brightness in the treble, but not overtly sparkly or anything. I mainly preferred the D5K myself though because a warmer sound just sounds more like it does when you're at a show or near an actual play session, at least for me.

Very best,

Mar 28, 2012 at 9:02 PM Post #28 of 53

Quote:
Heya,

For the D7K I'd have to use memory, which is faulty. But my perception of natural may be different from someone else's anyways. For reference, the HE500 is the most natural sounding headphone I've heard and is my primary open-back headphone. The D2K/5K have slower decay probably. The D7K has less apparent low end, it decays quicker, has more neutral tonality as appropriate and it's tone is relatively nature, with a small hint of brightness in the treble, but not overtly sparkly or anything. I mainly preferred the D5K myself though because a warmer sound just sounds more like it does when you're at a show or near an actual play session, at least for me.

Very best,

Thank you so much! Sounds like I'd enjoy the D5k more.

Mar 28, 2012 at 9:05 PM Post #29 of 53
Then and now...

...I loved my Denon D5000's. But the D7000's even more so. Below, my D5000 experience:

ph34r.gif
 0-150 hours 
popcorn.gif
 150-300 hours
biggrin.gif
 300-750 hours
wink.gif
 750-1,200 hours
tongue_smile.gif
 1,200-1,500
beerchug.gif
 1,500-1,926 hours