DENON 5000 or..........
May 24, 2012 at 7:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

charlie875578

Head-Fier
Yet another post about trying to find headphones. So here we go. This is it, I want to pull the trigger tonight or tomorrow. Again, I'm all about Bruce Springsteen. I also listen to: Elton John, Aerosmith, Eddie Money,The Police, Rod Stewart. About 20% of my listening is Punk Rock/Rock: Angels and Airwaves, Blink 182, Bayside, Alkaline Trio, Anberlin, Brand New, Rise Against. I keep going back and forth and so I've just narrowed it to these:

All will be powered by Fiio E10

**Denon 5000
 (this seems to be the "Safe bet" front runner) There are also times when I feel the 2000 would be fine, and then I'll read something that says "don't even look at the 2000 the 5000 are so much better..." If anyone can clear this up that would be great.

**Sennheiser HD600
 Kinda worried there will be too much leakage. These are for home listening, but there are times when I'll be watching something on the laptop while my girlfriend is watching TV in the same room. Also worried I won't be able to power them. I have a lot of concern over these, but i love their looks and I think these are the ones that, inside, i want, but they may not be the best choice.

**Grado 325
  I think they are kind of ugly. But so many people rave about their performance with rock music, so I can't ignore them. 

**Sennheiser HD650 
 Same concern as the HD600, but if I can find a good price on these I might be very tempted to pull the trigger

**Beyerdynamic DT 880 (250ohm)
  Just recently started looking into these. seem to be available at a pretty good price. 

TRYING, yes, trying, to keep it under $400 (looking at a lot of used deals)

Thanks guys.

May 25, 2012 at 7:44 AM Post #5 of 12
Between the hp's that you listed, the d5k is the clear winner IMO. And at a ridiculous price too. That being said, if you had asked me if there was anything better I would be hard pressed not to mention the he400 for your musical preference. 

I have the d5k and the he400. If I could only have one hp, it would be an incredibly difficult choice but I would pick the he400 every time. It all comes down to sound quality. The only thing that the d5k wins is comfort and sub bass. Don't get me wrong...I love that sub bass which is why I own them. But for a good bit of my music, I prefer the realism, sound stage, instrument separation and beautiful mids of the he400. 

I guess you should consider adding a second set to your gallery at some point down the road!! Maybe something even better will be out then 
biggrin.gif

May 25, 2012 at 8:34 AM Post #6 of 12
Thanks for the advice. I'm happy I finally pulled the trigger on something. The constant research and indecision was getting annoying, I lot of wasted time I could have spent experiencing some music. My bit concern was once I ordered something, I didn't want to have that "What if..." feeling. All I have in my town is a Best Buy and so I couldn't compare any of these phones. I pulled the trigger on the D5000 because, at the price, I figure worst case I could see them for close to purchase price, and they didn't seem to have any red flags. I almost went with the D2000, and I think I would have been happy. But knowing me, I would always so "hmmm...I wonder how much better this would sound with the 5000..."
And yes (sadly?) I'm already thinking about my next set of headphones...

May 25, 2012 at 8:37 AM Post #7 of 12
I owned two pairs of d2k and then the d5k. You're asking yourself is the d5k worth nearly 2x the price: in a word, yes.

May 25, 2012 at 11:15 AM Post #8 of 12
Quote:
I don't know about E10 but when connected to E11 HD650's can't match D5000

HD650 is fairly decent on E11.  It doesn't perform at its best, but its decent.  As is D5k.

Quote:
I owned two pairs of d2k and then the d5k. You're asking yourself is the d5k worth nearly 2x the price: in a word, yes.

You're making me glad of my decision more with each post
biggrin.gif

Jun 24, 2012 at 12:10 AM Post #11 of 12

Users who are viewing this thread

Back