Denafrips Venus 2 & 12th anniversary edition
Jan 27, 2024 at 12:52 PM Post #62 of 130
Any US owners able to advise of what the import tax is on these if any?
Debating the Venus vs a Yggy+ OG but leaning heavily to Denafrips.

Jan 27, 2024 at 5:39 PM Post #63 of 130
Any US owners able to advise of what the import tax is on these if any?
Debating the Venus vs a Yggy+ OG but leaning heavily to Denafrips.
Alvin low balls the invoice for US customs , it’s not much ,..I think the Venus 2-12th is stupid good for the money, I give it high marks for overall performance with added touch of musicality that seems lacking in other dacs in and around that price range.

Jan 27, 2024 at 6:32 PM Post #64 of 130
I give it high marks for overall performance with added touch of musicality that seems lacking in other dacs in and around that price range.
Other DACs lacking? LOL
Musicality in Denafrips range is just so so. It is just easy flow relaxing sound, musicality suffers as more punch is required to create excitement. And needs more texture that makes music sound natural.

Schiit (referenced before), the closest in the price range BF2 gives such punch, but it is on expense of masking details, so no... I would chose Denafrips.

[EDIT] seeing post from @]eep, yes 100%. More punch in BF2 do not add musicality.

However I would suggest to try Audio GD R-1. This brand is a champion of musicality and a natural sound. Great value, never advertised, only by users.

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2024 at 10:33 PM Post #65 of 130
Strange definition of musicality... I find Denafrips very musical. Yet ATM I'm listening to vinyl that is supposed to be severely lacking in dynamics (ahem, not my opinion) but I prefer that vastly over digital for its musicality. Like definition is not the same as detail, dynamics is not the same as musicality.

Also, I've heard many DAC's that had a 'hot' output stage to make it sound more 'exiting' but overmodulated on my testtracks. Something that totally pulls me out of the music. Even my Ares does that sometimes. Imo 'hot' output stages are just artificial sounding.

Jan 28, 2024 at 3:49 AM Post #66 of 130
...i2 cable, a Tubulus Concentus. ... also guarantees clock synchronisation between source and DAC, ...
Errr, no.

Both i2s and Coax / SPDIF make the source the clock master.
That means, the DAC has to follow the external clock and has no possibility to "complain".

Jan 28, 2024 at 9:31 AM Post #68 of 130
Other DACs lacking? LOL
Musicality in Denafrips range is just so so. It is just easy flow relaxing sound, musicality suffers as more punch is required to create excitement. And needs more texture that makes music sound natural.

Schiit (referenced before), the closest in the price range BF2 gives such punch, but it is on expense of masking details, so no... I would chose Denafrips.

[EDIT] seeing post from @]eep, yes 100%. More punch in BF2 do not add musicality.

However I would suggest to try Audio GD R-1. This brand is a champion of musicality and a natural sound. Great value, never advertised, only by users.
Sure thing Skippy ,..

Jan 28, 2024 at 10:01 AM Post #69 of 130
Strange definition of musicality... I find Denafrips very musical. Yet ATM I'm listening to vinyl that is supposed to be severely lacking in dynamics (ahem, not my opinion) but I prefer that vastly over digital for its musicality. Like definition is not the same as detail, dynamics is not the same as musicality.

Also, I've heard many DAC's that had a 'hot' output stage to make it sound more 'exiting' but overmodulated on my testtracks. Something that totally pulls me out of the music. Even my Ares does that sometimes. Imo 'hot' output stages are just artificial sounding.
I agree with you about vinyl playback , I never said anything about dynamics and musicality being one in the same , I understand what musicality is some don’t , I’ve heard enough digital front ends that are praised as highly detailed ultimately uninvloving musically to my ears .
Digital playback is what I primarily use now i can say I’m fairly new to digital playback having purchased my very first CD player in 2017 , an EMM Labs I thought was a decent compromise over vinyl it didn’t feel like a icy shower while emotionally unmoving so to speak however I noticed missing details that even today using better digital playback components best rated recordings both streamed and ripped that I clearly remember hearing using my best vinyl.

Today using digital I just have to switch my Denefrips or whatever into my Boulder system to hear what’s missing ,.Peace

Jan 28, 2024 at 12:50 PM Post #71 of 130
I agree with you about vinyl playback , I never said anything about dynamics and musicality being one in the same ,
@]eep was refering to my post and he is right, I added later a comment to my post for clarification. My English is limited, not giving freedom of expression it should.

Jan 28, 2024 at 1:10 PM Post #72 of 130
Did you try the newly released 2023 firmware versions for Denafrips DACs already?
I can partly relate to your statement that Denafrips DACs used to be on the more relaxed side of things, regarding sound signature. That made them appealing at the same time in a world dominated by sterile and harsh-sounding delta-sigma DACs.

But the new Denafrips sound signature is much more fresh, detailed, popping.

I just gave Toto's "Hydra" a spin on my Rega P3 turntable. The CD played through the Venus II sounds almost the same, amazingly (to me).

Jan 28, 2024 at 1:57 PM Post #73 of 130
Did you try the newly released 2023 firmware versions for Denafrips DACs already?
I can partly relate to your statement that Denafrips DACs used to be on the more relaxed side of things, regarding sound signature. That made them appealing at the same time in a world dominated by sterile and harsh-sounding delta-sigma DACs.

But the new Denafrips sound signature is much more fresh, detailed, popping.
I tested original Ares 2 firmware. I liked a sound and the most important it was non-fatiguing, but in meantime I saw Audio GD R2R-11 on a local listing, wanted to try. It was a big surprise unlocking natural presentation, I never experienced before. I am definitely R2R guy, I never accepted harsh in treble Delta-Sigma, my last CD player was based on the PCM-63 chip which I tuned to the perfection, but it was oversampling device with old-style digital filter.

Cutting short, I read other posts that 12th versions and subsequent firmware bring some improvements, but it doesn't seem a dramatic change including NOS mode. No, not to the level I experienced after switching to R2R-11. The upper DACs in the range share the same house of sound in the more refined form. But I am getting close to it after modding USB receiver with ultra-low jitter clocks and adding protection from ground loops.

Jan 28, 2024 at 2:10 PM Post #74 of 130
Cutting short, I read other posts that 12th versions and subsequent firmware bring some improvements, but it doesn't seem a dramatic change including NOS mode...
Well that depends, I guess. Last summer I spent days switching back and forth between the different versions - the change in sound signature between the "old" / legacy version and the first "12th" version was staggering. Really. The original 12th version made a Denafrips DAC sound like a good D-S DAC, almost. It lost some "musicality" for many though, me included.
Luckily, Denafrips / Vinshine listened to our remarks about the 1st 12th version and released another one, which still brings lots more clarity compared to the legacy version, but still retains enough musicality and analogness.

Anyway, that Audio-GD DAC looks interesting. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back