Denafrips Venus 2 & 12th anniversary edition
Jun 28, 2023 at 10:14 AM Post #16 of 130
Very interesting comparison, these few words describing differences are very accurate in my books judging only on few examples, I don't have such wide exposure. A controversial as always is Holo Audio and I would agree, as Springs 2 L2 had the same properties. It also brings fatigue as quick as Delta-Sigma DACs (20 minutes with my old deficient brain).

The latest addition of a true NOS will bring Venus 12th close to the Audio GD R-27Mk2, there was a comparison of Venus 2 with Audio GD R-7 2020 model. Unfortunately as usual with small companies Audio GD do not offer trial period.

To complete your journey, adding a DDC is beneficial in most cases, then ading external clock power conditioners brings your system to the next level.
Audio GD line of dacs were on my radar at the sametime as the Denafrips , it was simply a flip of a coin choosing which one . Last year I was loaned the Audio GD HE-9 headphone amplifier for the price it was impressive performance wise ,yes it would be interesting adding a DDC to the Venus 2 12.

Jun 28, 2023 at 9:23 PM Post #17 of 130
Very interesting comparison, these few words describing differences are very accurate in my books judging only on few examples, I don't have such wide exposure. A controversial as always is Holo Audio and I would agree, as Springs 2 L2 had the same properties. It also brings fatigue as quick as Delta-Sigma DACs (20 minutes with my old deficient brain).

The latest addition of a true NOS will bring Venus 12th close to the Audio GD R-27Mk2, there was a comparison of Venus 2 with Audio GD R-7 2020 model. Unfortunately as usual with small companies Audio GD do not offer trial period.

To complete your journey, adding a DDC is beneficial in most cases, then ading external clock power conditioners brings your system to the next level.
Actually, I did add a Denafrips Hermes DDC and am happy with its performance. I did not get it thinking it would produce a significant increase in sound quality, but mainly to be able to use the HDMI/I2S output to my Venus 2 12th. Putting the Hermes in the chain with a decent quality Audioquest HDMI cable resulted in a small improvement in the clarity of my system. I really struggled with making the Hermes purchase, but am glad I did. Along with the incremental SQ improvement, I was also able to put to death the never ending FOMO thoughts I would have had if I did not purchase it. I am now very happy with DDC/DAC and have no further desire to try anything else. I think I am well up the scale of diminishing returns with my system's front end now...FINALLY!

Jul 1, 2023 at 8:04 PM Post #18 of 130
With a avalanche of dacs available today I finally settled with a Venus 2 12 with the Gaia DDC i picked up 2nd hand to be installed after I get use to the new sound coming out of my Susvaras and Holo Audio Bliss amplifier. I used a Gustard R26 for a while until I made my mind up on a new dac .My thanks to member Palodegree our exchange of PM were interesting we have much in common. Anyway you do get accustomed to what you listen to the poor little Gustard didn’t last 30 seconds into a track after listening to what the Venus brought to the table though you do get what you pay for most of the time the Gustard dac is decent sounding for the money I’m pretty sure I’ll be content with the Venus and Gaia long term.

Jul 1, 2023 at 8:11 PM Post #19 of 130
With a avalanche of dacs available today I finally settled with a Venus 2 12 with the Gaia DDC i picked up 2nd hand to be installed after I get use to the new sound coming out of my Susvaras and Holo Audio Bliss amplifier. I used a Gustard R26 for a while until I made my mind up on a new dac .My thanks to member Palodegree our exchange of PM were interesting we have much in common. Anyway you do get accustomed to what you listen to the poor little Gustard didn’t last 30 seconds into a track after listening to what the Venus brought to the table though you do get what you pay for most of the time the Gustard dac is decent sounding for the money I’m pretty sure I’ll be content with the Venus and Gaia long term.
I would be surprised if you did not fully enjoy the Venus II 12th plus Gaia. I'm very happy with the fullness, depth, excellent detail and outstanding timbre my Venus II 12th/Hermes deliver. And this after having gone through a good number of well-regarded DACs beforehand. I am thoroughly pleased with my front end now and have quit looking.

Jul 12, 2023 at 1:50 PM Post #20 of 130
Just decided to buy a Venus II 12th, to see what it can do with the Aune X5S. The idea of ordering one of these without having heard it first is a bit nerve wracking. I chose this model as I rather like the smaller footprint compared to the not-much-more-expensive Terminator II.

Jul 12, 2023 at 4:09 PM Post #21 of 130
Just decided to buy a Venus II 12th, to see what it can do with the Aune X5S. The idea of ordering one of these without having heard it first is a bit nerve wracking. I chose this model as I rather like the smaller footprint compared to the not-much-more-expensive Terminator II.
I can say with confidence you can relax your nervousness over the Venus II 12th anniversary. My attention to this Denafrips model was a Youtube video by Thomas and Stereo …..sorry I couldn’t find the link anyway this reviewer Thomas lent this fellow a vinyl enthusiast 6 dacs to try in his system , his knowledge of digital components is very limited however he knows quality play back when he hears it ,
I don’t normally make purchasing decisions over watching a single review on YouTube however the video came across honest and straightforward I placed an order that evening , if the Venus didn’t work out to my expectations like other components I try on occasion they are sold the few dollars lost I view it as a rental fee . I enjoy my Venus 2-12 very much with my music server including video gaming .

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2023 at 11:22 PM Post #22 of 130
What you described pretty much convinced me. I have had the Ares II for a while now and I am still happy with it. Even though the first discrete R2R dac that caught my eye was the Holo spring, it was way out of my league back when. I like the looks but somehow the internals don't convince me like the Denafrips do. I got a definite 'snakeoil' vibe even when I'm all in on silver wire and paper in oil caps. And I'm reassured with what I have read here.

It will be some time before I ever can afford it (I just bought a Gato amp150) it will be my next goal post. Now I just need to think of a way to place it in my rack since I made that custom to my needs and made some 23cm wide shelves that are perfect for the Ares and SMSL gear. And I don't have access to a workshop anymore. Oh well, that is a luxury problem.

Jul 22, 2023 at 8:06 AM Post #23 of 130
What you described pretty much convinced me. I have had the Ares II for a while now and I am still happy with it. Even though the first discrete R2R dac that caught my eye was the Holo spring, it was way out of my league back when. I like the looks but somehow the internals don't convince me like the Denafrips do. I got a definite 'snakeoil' vibe even when I'm all in on silver wire and paper in oil caps. And I'm reassured with what I have read here.

It will be some time before I ever can afford it (I just bought a Gato amp150) it will be my next goal post. Now I just need to think of a way to place it in my rack since I made that custom to my needs and made some 23cm wide shelves that are perfect for the Ares and SMSL gear. And I don't have access to a workshop anymore. Oh well, that is a luxury problem.
I am familiar with some of your analog turntables I use to build and sell replacement plinths made of PanzerHolz with bronze and various materials for pivoting dual arm boards . It took me a very long time to embrace digital playback, my very first CD transport was a EMM Labs because to me its sound mimicked fluid sound of analog playback. That was not to long ago back in 2016.. I still have my Technics SP-10 MK 3 and Lenco tables.

The Venus 2-12th Anniversary I find exceptional for the price performance way beyond its retail price finally I have owned recently Rockna WaveDream dac I replaced with a Holo Audio May KTE dac in 2021 , I will admit I do not mis these dacs .

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2023 at 10:15 AM Post #24 of 130
I have owned recently Rockna WaveDream dac I replaced with a Holo Audio May KTE dac in 2021 , I will admit I do not mis these dacs .
If you had Spring, I would say for sure that you don't listen a lot of music, probably the same with May, as these DACs are loaded with ultrasonic scrambling. Getting a conflicting images in my head after one hour.

Denafrips is different, much different to other offerings, it doesn't cause a fatigue, you will listen to more music.

But if you like Rockna sound, Audio-GD DAC will serve you better.

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2023 at 1:06 PM Post #25 of 130
If you had Spring, I would say for sure that you don't listen a lot of music, probably the same with May, as these DACs are loaded with ultrasonic scrambling. Getting a conflicting images in my head after one hour.

Denafrips is different, much different to other offerings, it doesn't cause a fatigue, you will listen to more music.

But if you like Rockna sound, Audio-GD DAC will serve you better.
I would say a solid 6-7 hours a day 5 days a week listening to music and being married with young children though I can only get way with that it’s my home office system that helps pay bills keeping us warm and dry ,. I think I know what you’re saying about ultrasonic scrambling it’s like a sugar high then fatigue sets in , I think we all go through interest listening to your system falls off .

Have you listened to a Rockna Net server in combination with a WaveDream dac ? though the combination is expensive I bet if I took my time back then I may of found something as good and enjoyable for less for sure. I had the Holo May KTE for almost a year , I liked it during the winter months placed under a window it kept ice from forming on it and it looked very handsome .

Anyway i am aware of the top Audio GD dac , it could be the next contender someday though currently I have found a very pleasing sound with the Venus could be several things though I think Denafrips has something special here for 3K .

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2023 at 2:32 PM Post #26 of 130
Have you listened to a Rockna Net server in combination with a WaveDream dac ?
Not, unfortunately. Not even a Wavedream alone. In fact a separate network streamer + DAC appeals to me more than AIO, popular at the moment.

Jul 22, 2023 at 5:34 PM Post #27 of 130
I am familiar with some of your analog turntables I use to build and sell replacement plinths made of PanzerHolz with bronze and various materials for pivoting dual arm boards . It took me a very long time to embrace digital playback, my very first CD transport was a EMM Labs because to me its sound mimicked fluid sound of analog playback. That was not to long ago back in 2016.. I still have my Technics SP-10 MK 3 and Lenco tables.

The Venus 2-12th Anniversary I find exceptional for the price performance way beyond its retail price finally I have owned recently Rockna WaveDream dac I replaced with a Holo Audio May KTE dac in 2021 , I will admit I do not mis these dacs .
Well that's the big competitor isn't it? Vinyl has always bettered digital in my system. Not too long ago I bought Magnepan 0.7's and that is an equaliser. Now I switched back to my self made 1½ way dipoles (3" TI fullrange +AMT supertweeter) temporarily to hear what the Gato can do, vinyl just gives an eery realism and flow. I listened to Kid A mnesia and I totally forgot that it wasn't digital or whatever medium.

That's what music is supposed to do.

Jul 23, 2023 at 2:38 AM Post #28 of 130
Well that's the big competitor isn't it? Vinyl has always bettered digital in my system. Not too long ago I bought Magnepan 0.7's and that is an equaliser. Now I switched back to my self made 1½ way dipoles (3" TI fullrange +AMT supertweeter) temporarily to hear what the Gato can do, vinyl just gives an eery realism and flow. I listened to Kid A mnesia and I totally forgot that it wasn't digital or whatever medium.

I'd love to add a TT to my system, but just don't understand them. Tone arms, cartridges, direct drive versus belt drive...it's a black art.

Jul 23, 2023 at 7:29 AM Post #29 of 130

My journey in a nut shell abruptly changed making compromises my stereo and vinyl took up so much space . Our new home is smaller and setting up in the living space forget about it ,Gone are my Magnapan 3R speakers and Rel subs including most of my vinyl collection the only other area of the house I can use is a spare room space I couldn’t get my Magnapan speakers to perform the way they did plus in addition they take up so much space , priorities of an office space then listening room three years have past I have adjusted well I can have my cake and eat it to listening to music most of the day if I want while earning a living.

On occasion i do miss playing vinyl, could you imagine having the ultra convenience of digital playback and management of a vast collection of music in palm of your hand with zero maintenance though vinyl is still here today and still going strong .

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2023 at 7:35 AM Post #30 of 130
I'd love to add a TT to my system, but just don't understand them. Tone arms, cartridges, direct drive versus belt drive...it's a black art.
Vinyl playback isn’t easy that’s for sure though once you get past the voodoo you‘ll get why it’s appealing to many .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back