DENAFRIPS Terminator: the King of R2R dac
Sep 27, 2023 at 1:57 PM Post #1,006 of 1,025
My headphone setup is hooked up to my pc and I use it for gaming at times. How bad is the input lag on the t+? Any way to bypass it for gaming?

I really want to try the t+ but the idea of having two dacs and one just for gaming seems strange. It would be nice if there was a way to bypass for gaming/movies.

Sep 28, 2023 at 11:28 PM Post #1,007 of 1,025
Terminator 2 12th/plus 12th upgrades from previous model Terminator 2/plus

Enhanced critical circuitry to further minimize the noise floor
Greater tonal density • Ultra High Resolution
Upgraded components, including ROE NOS Caps
High-purity gold-silver-copper alloy enameled wire o-core transformer(s) (Power Supply)
Complete redesigned power supply circuitry
Direct FPGA processing of I2S • Shorter signal path guaranteed
(Signal paths only add distortion and noise and degrade performance and as such should be kept at minimum length) (Source hifi-advice)
Hi Mil,
I owned Tplus 12th. Prior I bought this unit, I have doubt why tplus has price increase more than std version.
According to the info from Denafrips or Vinshine & China Denafrips website, they are showing what you mentioned above. And tplus has only clock, hand picked r2r main differences, of course with the curvy front facial. These 2 differences already included from previous model. Then how tplus 12th price up that much?
After further research by asking direct to Denafrips factory team, they pretty much assure that tplus 12th has different and better transformer core material and different circuitry beside the ocxo clock. In the spec or website pictures, all tplus & std version use the same std picture. They no publish for tplus 12th power supply picture.
I did not open my tplus transformer section as it is located at bottom. I may be able to open it verify it after warranty expire, wait for another 2 years. As of now, I will assume what the guy in china dena told me is right. Unless Alvin can confirm it.
You may add this feature for termi std vs plus version …

Gary

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2023 at 1:28 AM Post #1,008 of 1,025
Hi Mil,
I owned Tplus 12th. Prior I bought this unit, I have doubt why tplus has price increase more than std version.
According to the info from Denafrips or Vinshine & China Denafrips website, they are showing what you mentioned above. And tplus has only clock, hand picked r2r main differences, of course with the curvy front facial. These 2 differences already included from previous model. Then how tplus 12th price up that much?
After further research by asking direct to Denafrips factory team, they pretty much assure that tplus 12th has different and better transformer core material and different circuitry beside the ocxo clock. In the spec or website pictures, all tplus & std version use the same std picture. They no publish for tplus 12th power supply picture.
I did not open my tplus transformer section as it is located at bottom. I may be able to open it verify it after warranty expire, wait for another 2 years. As of now, I will assume what the guy in china dena told me is right. Unless Alvin can confirm it.
You may add this feature for termi std vs plus version …

Gary
When I bought my first Denafrips
Terminator it was a giant killer.

Pretty soon they will be the Giant.

Oct 8, 2023 at 1:20 AM Post #1,010 of 1,025
Upgraded my black Terminator II 12th to 3.7 and loving it. Hard to describe the differences compared to before but it certainly doesn’t sound worse! Mine previously had firmware from Oct/Nov 2022 so I guess there were some changes:

v3.7 (June 01, 2023)
-----------------------------------------------------

* Improved Adaptive FIFO Buffer & Reclocking Architecture
* Reduced the effect of Buffer overrun/underrun due to the Source's Clock and the DAC's Clock differences
* Eliminate Phase Difference between L/R Channels
* Optimised DSP to improve the sonic performance
* Fine-tune the sound quality in the mid-range and lower octave of the bass, to achieve a balanced, organic, analog-like sound signature that is characteristic of Denafrips
* Dual-Wired AES/EBU Supports DSD128, PCM384 with DENAFRIPS Hermes, Gaia DDC

Oct 24, 2023 at 1:11 AM Post #1,011 of 1,025
I am curious to see whether adding a Hermes DDC with my T+ and using the clock sync and I2S would add any value to my system. Right now my source is a miniDSP SHD because I am using Dirac room correction (this is in my main rig with speakers). The miniDSP is limited to SPDIF 96/24 output. Given this limitation, would I see any benefit of inserting the Hermes DDC into the chain and having it process the 96/24 signal and output I2S to the T+?

The T+ already sounds very good with the SPDIF input as it.

Oct 24, 2023 at 11:20 AM Post #1,012 of 1,025
Based on my experience with my T2 I would highly recommend adding a DDC with clock sync and I2S. I've used USB, SPDIF and AES/EBU input and all of them sounded very good straight in to the T2, but better with the DDC, and even better when I added the clock sync. FWIW I would have preferred a Hermes but it only comes in black and I wanted silver so I got a Gaia. Also, my BNC cables were hung up in the supply chain so I listened for a couple of weeks without the clock sync.

Jan 6, 2024 at 2:41 PM Post #1,014 of 1,025
Any T2 owners tried Arce clock locked to their DAC?

Jan 6, 2024 at 10:12 PM Post #1,015 of 1,025
Are you the cycling luminary of that name? If so, wow!

I have done the more standard of hooking up my T+ to my Hermes. I have not seen the T2 to Arce yet.

Jan 6, 2024 at 10:24 PM Post #1,016 of 1,025
Dual-Wired AES/EBU Supports DSD128, PCM384 with DENAFRIPS Hermes, Gaia DDC
Hi, did you tried this dual wire AES/EBU ? I have an upgraded T+ and had never managed to make it work correctly .. channels and phase are messed up when tested with demo cd. Tks !

Jan 7, 2024 at 9:15 PM Post #1,017 of 1,025
I'm now using a Denafrips Streamer in combination with a Terminator 2 12th-1 and using its 45Mhz & 49Mhz clocks, and there is an audible improvement in sound. Maybe it's psychological and won't go back to the Streamer's clock.
Also experimented with the combination with the TP2-12-1 and the sound is almost identical to the T2-12-1, maybe the After DAC device is just the Hades preamp with a pair of Dynaudio acoustic Bm5a Mk2. maybe, it's time to upgrade the speakers.

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2024 at 1:52 PM Post #1,018 of 1,025
I'm now using a Denafrips Streamer in combination with a Terminator 2 12th-1 and using its 45Mhz & 49Mhz clocks, and there is an audible improvement in sound. Maybe it's psychological and won't go back to the Streamer's clock.
Also experimented with the combination with the TP2-12-1 and the sound is almost identical to the T2-12-1, maybe the After DAC device is just the Hades preamp with a pair of Dynaudio acoustic Bm5a Mk2. maybe, it's time to upgrade the speakers.
What is TP-12-1?

Jan 9, 2024 at 8:17 AM Post #1,020 of 1,025
I think the terminators don’t have a “-1” revision yet. but they do have a 12th anni. that -1 is just a revision number as far as i can tell

Users who are viewing this thread

Back