DENAFRIPS Terminator: the King of R2R dac
Mar 15, 2023 at 10:34 AM Post #976 of 1,025
According to Alvin, there is new 12th FPGA firmware coming soon this May for T2 & T+.
However, the firmware update only mentioning DACs. No info for DDC.
I just contacting China Denafrips, they told me DDC new 12th anniversary FPGA firmware still in testing at this moment and new firmware should be ready by end of March. This is great news for DDC owners.
Vinshine buyers need to wait for Alvin announcement for the new DDC FPGA 12th firmware update.

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2023 at 11:15 AM Post #977 of 1,025
As both a TII and Hermes owner this makes me happy :)

Mar 15, 2023 at 4:58 PM Post #979 of 1,025
I wonder if this means there are 12th anniversary versions of the DDCs in the works?
Could be...or maybe there's just enough transposable firmware routines in the DAC FPGA that it's relatively modest work to port to the DDC FPGA to keep an extended Denafrips customer base happy for a small additional bit of effort. I would however be very interested in seeing updated DDC models so I'll hope for the former....

Mar 16, 2023 at 5:38 AM Post #981 of 1,025
Guys, checked again the 12th FPGA firmware update info. From what Alvin mentioned seem like ONLY non 12th DAC require this new firmware update. Original 12th anniversary DAC shall have the latest firmware install. Need Alvin to confirm.

Pontus II (1st Apr 2023)
* Venus II (15th Apr 2023)
* Terminator (1st May 2023)
* Terminator II / Plus (15th May 2023)

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2023 at 5:50 AM Post #982 of 1,025
Guys, checked again the 12th FPGA firmware update info. From what Alvin mentioned seem like non 12th DAC only require this new firmware update.

Pontus II (1st Apr 2023)
* Venus II (15th Apr 2023)
* Terminator (1st May 2023)
* Terminator II / Plus (15th May 2023)

Hence, I just went to check with Dena China today, they told me the same. If you bought Tplus 12th, you do not require new firmware.
Thanks for doing the heavy lifting on the fact finding, Gary - appreciated!

May 29, 2023 at 8:59 AM Post #983 of 1,025
With us being two weeks past the above release date - has anyone flashed their TII firmware yet and have any sonic impressions to share?

May 29, 2023 at 9:32 AM Post #984 of 1,025
With us being two weeks past the above release date - has anyone flashed their TII firmware yet and have any sonic impressions to share?
Delayed until June 1

Last edited:
May 29, 2023 at 9:44 AM Post #985 of 1,025
Jun 2, 2023 at 5:23 PM Post #986 of 1,025
I had to submit a picture of the inside of my Terminator Plus DAC to Denafrips in order to get access to the new firmware...but I haven't heard back from them yet with a link or file.

Has anyone with a T2 or T+ upgraded their firmware yet?

Jun 2, 2023 at 6:53 PM Post #987 of 1,025
I had to submit a picture of the inside of my Terminator Plus DAC to Denafrips in order to get access to the new firmware...but I haven't heard back from them yet with a link or file.

Has anyone with a T2 or T+ upgraded their firmware yet?
Check here:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/denafrips-fpga-firmware-update-12th-anniv.967375/

Spoiler alert, yes some people have done the upgrade and some are having problems. I was asked for a picture as well and haven't heard back. I understand it is a holiday weekend in Singapore and it sounds like they are dealing with a lot of issues.

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2023 at 11:33 AM Post #988 of 1,025
A great video on YouTube from Vinshine audio. He thoroughly vetted the entire process and current state of the software development. In essence there is yet another version they have refined, number 3. Good news you can always revert back to the original version if they do not suit your tastes. Sounds like patience is the order of the day.

Jun 5, 2023 at 3:43 AM Post #989 of 1,025
I just did the upgrade and everything went smoothly according to the instructions for the T2 Firmware upgrade.

After the upgrade had to reconfigure the T2 to ensure that it works with the Hermes

1. Reconfigure the IS2 pins to 000 on T2
2. Reconfigure the T2 clock to output 45 / 49 MHz to synch with the Hermes Clock

Everything is working as expected.

Initial observations about the sound quality :

1. Better and clearer mid range sounds and details
2. Better base control and tightness
3. perceived slightly lower noise floor

Overall initial impressions is that it is a good firmware upgrade and makes that Hermes + T2 combination sound even better that before.

Thanks Alvin and the Denafrips team - well done and appreciate the good work on getting this firmware out , giving us an even better performing DAC after the upgrade.

Jun 12, 2023 at 12:46 PM Post #990 of 1,025
I just did the upgrade and everything went smoothly according to the instructions for the T2 Firmware upgrade.

After the upgrade had to reconfigure the T2 to ensure that it works with the Hermes

1. Reconfigure the IS2 pins to 000 on T2
2. Reconfigure the T2 clock to output 45 / 49 MHz to synch with the Hermes Clock

Everything is working as expected.

Initial observations about the sound quality :

1. Better and clearer mid range sounds and details
2. Better base control and tightness
3. perceived slightly lower noise floor

Overall initial impressions is that it is a good firmware upgrade and makes that Hermes + T2 combination sound even better that before.

Thanks Alvin and the Denafrips team - well done and appreciate the good work on getting this firmware out , giving us an even better performing DAC after the upgrade.
Great to hear! I'm fixing to update the firmware on mine. Was having second thoughts after hearing initial impressions from others, but the benefits I think will highlight nicely with my system. Can't imagine it changing the house sound SO MUCH I'll want to revert, but we'll see.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back