DENAFRIPS Terminator: the King of R2R dac
Jul 25, 2019 at 7:33 AM Post #451 of 1,025
you have said that the detail, the bass, the scene has improved ... Nothing is said about the timbre and naturalness and it seems very strange. To me it is one of the most important things in any sound device

Can anyone comment on this?

Jul 25, 2019 at 7:58 AM Post #452 of 1,025
New dSP board Received today
I will try to install it this WK and I will report.

CC00EF2E-CC39-48E1-A9C2-E153C68D4072.jpeg

Jul 25, 2019 at 10:55 AM Post #453 of 1,025
Hi @Dan Lee,

i2s has no industry standard. You need to configure the Gustard U16 i2s output to match with the Terminator HDMI i2s-A.
  • I²S Pinout Configuration
    • To configure I²S Pinout, press "Phase" button while in Mute state
    • The 1X 2X 4X LED will turn on/off in a fixed pattern to denote '000' - '111'. One of the pinout configuration should match well with the U16
Hope it helps!

Best,
Alvin @ Vinshine Audio
Thanks Alvin
That is very helpful information I will try that.

Jul 25, 2019 at 11:04 AM Post #454 of 1,025
PSA: The OS mode on the DAC could cause the sound to clip, which created a lot of popping from the tweeters. This was very very pronounced in modern music like Deadmau5 - I Remember. I used the headroom management in Roon to reduce the output by 3db, and the problem went away. This is the case no matter what volume I'm using on my integrated amp. This is a well known phenomena when using DSP and upscaling. It's a result of the modern recordings being mastered for loudness and being pushed past 0db when the digital signal goes through processing. Roon has a specific option called headroom management to mitigate this. Funny enough it doesn't happen when I use software OS in Roon and leave the Terminator on NOS mode, however the Terminator's OS mode sound a lot better than Roon's, and with headroom management it's perfect.

Jul 25, 2019 at 2:22 PM Post #456 of 1,025
Hello partners

Today I received the new dsp card, I changed it and reconnected the Terminator to the device. Now the Mode button does not work and the configuration of the i2s input via the Phase button either.

Is this normal?

The cd sounds good through the i2s connection.

Thank you

Jul 25, 2019 at 8:52 PM Post #459 of 1,025
Hello partners

Today I received the new dsp card, I changed it and reconnected the Terminator to the device. Now the Mode button does not work and the configuration of the i2s input via the Phase button either.

Is this normal?

The cd sounds good through the i2s connection.

Thank you
Hi Elber,
What DDC are u using? Or is your CD player is2 capable? Thank you.

Jul 27, 2019 at 9:45 AM Post #463 of 1,025
I installed the new DSP board.

Définitivement more energy and more the feeling that the artiste is « here » in the room. :L3000:

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2019 at 11:42 PM Post #464 of 1,025
Well I didn't have a whole lot of time but did sit down for an hour or so to listen to the Termy with and without my SU-6 DDC. My SU-6 has stayed powered on the whole time, I just swapped the USB cable from my Lumin U1 to the USB input on the Termy or to the SU-6 with HDMI out to the Termy.

I listened to my 2ch only (no headphones):https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?action=systems;area=browse;system=273

First I still like NOS more, I don't dislike OS but NOS sounds more natural. As far as the "slow" and "sharp" filters I love both of them It just depends on the recording, great recorded music sound awesome with the "sharp" filter, bad recordings is just too much of a good thing and I have to put it back on "Slow" filter where it will stay most of the time.

So cut to the chase, in my system going from the Lumin to the USB input of the Termy was preferred by my wife and I, and not by a little. I can go on and on but the bottom line what sold it for me was the micro-detail/micro-dynamics that the SU-6 would put a veil over it, I could hear subtle sounds from female voices (Diana Krall) that I didn't hear with the Singxer in the system. The bass was actually pretty close but on things like an upright bass you could hear the detail of the fingers plucking a lot better with the USB input.

Jul 28, 2019 at 6:14 AM Post #465 of 1,025
Well I didn't have a whole lot of time but did sit down for an hour or so to listen to the Termy with and without my SU-6 DDC. My SU-6 has stayed powered on the whole time, I just swapped the USB cable from my Lumin U1 to the USB input on the Termy or to the SU-6 with HDMI out to the Termy.

I listened to my 2ch only (no headphones):https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?action=systems;area=browse;system=273

First I still like NOS more, I don't dislike OS but NOS sounds more natural. As far as the "slow" and "sharp" filters I love both of them It just depends on the recording, great recorded music sound awesome with the "sharp" filter, bad recordings is just too much of a good thing and I have to put it back on "Slow" filter where it will stay most of the time.

So cut to the chase, in my system going from the Lumin to the USB input of the Termy was preferred by my wife and I, and not by a little. I can go on and on but the bottom line what sold it for me was the micro-detail/micro-dynamics that the SU-6 would put a veil over it, I could hear subtle sounds from female voices (Diana Krall) that I didn't hear with the Singxer in the system. The bass was actually pretty close but on things like an upright bass you could hear the detail of the fingers plucking a lot better with the USB input.
Hi Pete,
It will be my turn tonight to try out with my headphone setup. Lets see if I concur with your findings. I am using the Zenith Mk2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back