DENAFRIPS Terminator: the King of R2R dac
Mar 13, 2019 at 1:44 PM Post #241 of 1,025
Has anyone been able to use a Linux based Roon Endpoint (or any other Linux based streamer) successfully with the Terminator? I am using a Raspberry Pi + running Ropieee and while most things works, I am unable to get native DSD to work. Ropieee supports native DSD with the Amanero board, but the Terminator is not reporting Native DSD as a capability.

Mar 13, 2019 at 10:29 PM Post #242 of 1,025
Hi @jmpsmash

DENAFRIPS shipped with Amanero USB interface 1099c firmware, it should support native DSD.
If the Ropieee did support native DSD with Amanero 1099c firmware, i'd suggest you to update the Amanero firmware. I've sent the guide to you via email.

Many thanks.

Best,
Alvin
Vinshine Audio

Mar 14, 2019 at 1:14 AM Post #243 of 1,025
Hi @jmpsmash

DENAFRIPS shipped with Amanero USB interface 1099c firmware, it should support native DSD.
If the Ropieee did support native DSD with Amanero 1099c firmware, i'd suggest you to update the Amanero firmware. I've sent the guide to you via email.

Many thanks.

Best,
Alvin
Vinshine Audio
That raises a good question: will the terminator firmware be updated over time and if so how?

Mar 14, 2019 at 1:46 AM Post #244 of 1,025
Hi @jmpsmash

Many thanks.

Best,
Alvin
Vinshine Audio

That fixed it! Thanks Alvin for the help.

Mar 14, 2019 at 1:48 AM Post #245 of 1,025
That raises a good question: will the terminator firmware be updated over time and if so how?

the firmware was for the USB board. there is a small set of instruction to follow that involve erasing the old firmware internally, and then run a script on the PC to program the new one. the process is quite simple. the only hard part was to move a 40lbs DAC in order to access the internals.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2019 at 7:11 AM Post #248 of 1,025
Hi Pete,
How does it sound? Are u experiencing any clicks and pops? Which ver are u on? 1.4 or 1.6? Was it easy to hook it up to is2? I mean to sync it with the Gustard. Sorry for asking so many many questions buddy. I am so excited.
It's breaking in still (only 48hrs) sounds very good right now with no clicks. The bass needs a little more detail and definition compared to my Singxer but still needs quite a few hours for break in, so we will see. Using V1.6.

Mar 19, 2019 at 10:41 PM Post #252 of 1,025
I am curious - has anybody else here replaced a Terminator with another DAC? I bought a Terminator and was amazed by it for about six months, until a friend of mine brought a $1,200 DAC with the Analogue Devices AD1865 R2R chip. I was absolutely sure the Termi would be all over my friend’s little DAC with this ancient DAC chip. But to my biggest surprise, that was not the case. I realized what a “musical” DAC really sounds like. For those of you who think the Terminator is a musical DAC, try a well implemented tube DAC with the AD1865 chip. I ended up selling the Terminator and went that road.
With all the raving reviews about the Terminator, people really expect that it outperforms anything on the market below $15K. At least that's what I thought. Well, I just wanted to mention that’s not really the case. And it's a lot about personal taste.
Actually, I was all over the forums reading raving reviews just before I bought the Termi and while I had it. There was only one bad review by one of the editors of AS (AudioStream). I was so obsessed by the Terminator, that I started hating the reviewer who posted that review. Now, after all the euphoria is over, I think he was right, and had a very objective opinion. On the other hand, another reviewer of AS loves it and uses it as his reference DAC.
For those of you who are wondering - my advice is to give the Terminator a try but keep your mind open. And try a well implemented Analogue Devices AD1865 DAC if you can. I am sure that's also a matter of personal taste, but if musicality is your priority, you should definitely give it a try.

My current dac Audio Note 3.1x carries AD1865, has a sound and a very natural timbre. I have bought a terminator thinking about improving, it arrives in 15 days, I hope I was not wrong

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2019 at 7:22 AM Post #253 of 1,025
My current dac Audio Note 3.1x carries AD1865, has a sound and a very natural timbre. I have bought a terminator thinking about improving, it arrives in 15 days, I hope I was not wrong
Please don't forget share your observations after Terminator settle a while.

What is your rest of the system?

Mar 20, 2019 at 8:12 AM Post #254 of 1,025
My system is :
North Star 192 transport
Audio Note 3.1x
Monophonic 300b xls
Blumenhofer fs3 mk2
Artesania Audio Prestige Rack

This in the dining room of 20 m

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back