Denafrips Sub-Brand or Rip-off? The case of Musician Audio's Pegasus R2R DAC
Dec 6, 2020 at 7:06 AM Post #257 of 316
I don't want to be negative, what are your experiences with power cords, or are you just in disbelief as I was before the purchase. I personally don't believe in audiophile device pads, but I've heard power cords, but of course I don't want to convince anyone , just my recommendation.
No offense meant but as far as I see it there is no real non-imaginary reason silver contacts, silver power cord wiring, silver transformers, silver anything will change the sound whatsoever. "A little more conductive than copper" does not cut it.
I simply meant that if this is what this thread's come down to, it has lost my interest :wink:
Cheers

Dec 6, 2020 at 9:48 AM Post #258 of 316
No offense meant but as far as I see it there is no real non-imaginary reason silver contacts, silver power cord wiring, silver transformers, silver anything will change the sound whatsoever. "A little more conductive than copper" does not cut it.
I simply meant that if this is what this thread's come down to, it has lost my interest :wink:
Cheers
Silver is used as a medicine, so why not for cables. :)

Silver is used as a material for contacts. Do you think that scientists have immaginary reason?
Silver do not react easily with oxygen from air or water. When it does, a product is still conducting electricity, it is classified as semiconductor. Mechanical properties are poor, so it easy goes off. Copper oxide is a very poor conductor and nobody use copper for contacts, rather a brass that have only 30% conductivity of copper.

Why losing interest? Discussion just start picking up. :)

Dec 6, 2020 at 10:54 AM Post #259 of 316

Silver is used as a material for contacts. Do you think that scientists have immaginary reason?
Silver do not react easily with oxygen from air or water. When it does, a product is still conducting electricity, it is classified as semiconductor. Mechanical properties are poor, so it easy goes off. Copper oxide is a very poor conductor and nobody use copper for contacts, rather a brass that have only 30% conductivity of copper.

Solid core copper, something like ZMF 2k copper cables, good quality copper transformers; I have never been convinced of the superiority of silver besides cost and the whole snake oil aspect of it.
Brands like Kitsune that offer solid silver transformers for almost 1/3d the cost of the base product just reek of salesmen trickery to me

Dec 6, 2020 at 10:47 PM Post #260 of 316
Yah, I agree, I think people are going out of the way slander Pegasus as a rip-off of Ares II without having the full background. They do use the same device driver, so I think its not far fetched to believe they have overlap in design. Maybe the Pegasus is a tweaked up Ares II with some higher quality components...I can attest 1st hand because I actually own both units and have A/B test them, that to my ears the Ares II sounds better - versus just looking at the circuit board and coming to a conclusion on how it must sound.

I thought this issue was already settled though? I read on some forum or comments that Musician had licensed the design / contracted Engineers from Denafrips to build this thing. Perhaps part of their agreement is that Denafrips can't disclose this publicly, which is why you don't hear them suing/doing press releases on the subject to shame/put pressure on Musician. With such an uproar in the user community, why would they not address this? Also, it's not uncommon in China for companies to share technology, and do OEM / private label type of stuff with exactly the same design.

Aggressive users in the community seem to be more upset about this than the Denafrips themselves.

At the end of the day, I paid-in full for both DACS, I think the Pegasus sounds better without shame. If in fact, information comes out later that this was a stolen design, I might change my mind, but for now I've not seen any.

Anyhow - I'd prefer to keep the discussion more to the sound quality and enjoyment than these politics. I'm still impressed by how holographic the sound from the Pegasus is going into the my A90 and Billie tube amp. Sooo delicious :)

I totally agree, once the Musician states his identity that it come from Denafrips, I'm curious about the reaction of people who attack Musician.

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2020 at 11:35 PM Post #261 of 316
I totally agree, once the Musician states his identity that it come from Denafrips, I'm curious about the reaction of people who attack Musician.

The thing is, they don't have to. It's unfair to squeeze out a manufacturer on who their OEM is if they don't want to reveal it for whatever reason. Why don't European and American brands get the same pressure? Besides, spend some time on Google and you can get your answer already.

Puma can say their shoes is made in the same factory as Nike but i doubt that would change the decision of a buyer.

I get what you mean though. But the other angle is that Musician is 'stealing' something from someone when that is far from the fact. The haters should rather hound AliExpress sellers that sell Denafrips. Those AliX Denafrips sellers should only be able to sell to the local Chinese market alone. Meaning, how did these Chinese Denafrips sellers were able to get stock of legit Denafrips?

Dec 7, 2020 at 12:17 AM Post #262 of 316

That is why there is gilded copper on more expensive devices or rhodium (or other materials) in the mode of parts that you buy and install yourself

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2020 at 7:19 PM Post #263 of 316
So according to one credible audio reviewer, the Pegasus isn't even as good as an Ares II (which is noticeably cheaper). While another credible reviewer, the Pegasus is as good as the Venus (which is near top of line on the Denafrips range)...

hahaha :wink:

We need Steve Guttenberg to break the tie match.

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2020 at 8:13 PM Post #264 of 316
Personally, when this topic aims to determine whether Pegasus is a subbrand or not, I can draw conclusions based on facts.
And those are ;
-Why would Denafdrips launch its subbrand and then allow a well-known reviewer to prevent its takeoff and the same reviewer later declares two Denafrips products as products of the year !?
-In proving whether or not it is a subbrand, the emphasis is on Pegasus ’inferiority to Denafrips, and when it is proven that it is superior, would it be appropriate for Pegasus owners to enter Denafrips’ threads and convince people that they were wrong and that they were could have invested their money much better by buying a Pegasus, ... I think it's below the level of decency, and I haven't seen it anywhere on this forum except in this thread.Others who do so only tarnish the high reputation of Denafrips
After all, for our end users, it doesn't matter at all whether Pegasus cheated someone there or someone is trying to ruin his business , what is important to us is that we invested our money wisely.
I am convinced that every owner of Pegasus is quite sure of that

It's fully obvious looking at the pictures that Musician and Denafrips came out from the same factory, this is probably the only data point we can warranty.

So my opinion after reading Srajan and others: Denafrips/Musican are run by the same people. Why?. No idea, but per Occam's razor is the simplest way that allows Mr Zhao to make more money skipping the exclusivity deal with his Denafrips distributor in Singapur.

Errors in the NBT review and such: the people allocated to this proyect are starting and lack commercial experience.

Practical effects for us, probably not many. Denafrips is so full of caps that is impossible that their units don't begin to go out of specs in a few years, and by then the support/warranty of Denafrips is as unpredictable as that of Musician.

It's a shame there are not competitive EU/US companies in the R2R business, 'competitive' removes MSB, Rockna, high level Aqua,... you know.

Dec 20, 2020 at 4:52 AM Post #266 of 316
Isn't it obvious
Ares II is better than Venus
Of course, I doubt that Pegasus can be compared to Venus, and in the opinion of people who have compared (listening to) Ares II and Pegasus, that Pegasus is more advanced (perhaps not as much as the price indicates).
All products like to be equalized or to overcome the more expensive ones, that is marketing, but that departure into the illusion does not have to be always bad, the user enjoys his product more.
And sometimes there are exclusively business efforts, as anti-advertising in order to suppress competition (I think that this thread has been dealing primarily with that effort from the beginning).
That is my impression

Dec 20, 2020 at 5:58 AM Post #267 of 316
And sometimes there are exclusively business efforts, as anti-advertising in order to suppress competition (I think that this thread has been dealing primarily with that effort from the beginning).
That is my impression
No business efforts, just little of brain and a common sense.

Dec 20, 2020 at 6:40 AM Post #270 of 316
Owners of the Ares II can never hear their dac at its best, because it lacks i2s input.

Pegasus has that and aes/ebu.
And a good USB cable brings great improvements in sound, I haven't tried i2s so I can't make comparisons. I think it would be worthwhile for Ares II owners to invest heavily in cables, with bad cables they hear 70% of their Ares

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back